$5 a month smalls jazz club membership is awesome

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just watched two nights of Alex Sipiagin's group's recording sessions compliments of my streaming membership at Small's. cannot beat it with a stick!!!

one of the best kept secrets in fine music!!!!!

i enjoyed 2 spectacular recording sets with pianist harold maybern a few days ago and too many other treasures to recall.

are the musicians getting paid for these?

No one other than the club owners are getting paid. This was discussed sometime last year in a thread. There should be something that will go to the musicians. I don't want to sound like a righteous saint, who I'm not, but until the artists get something, I won't join. It's only fair.

are the musicians getting paid for these?

No one other than the club owners are getting paid. This was discussed sometime last year in a thread. There should be something that will go to the musicians. I don't want to sound like a righteous saint, who I'm not, but until the artists get something, I won't join. It's only fair.

the 'heroic' idea of 'keeping the music alive' wears thin after a bit. even a $20 per musician "internet tip" would be something.

Does it make a difference at all that part of the reason for this business model is to increase revenue to keep the venue in business? I think I read somewhere that this is part of the reason for adopting the model of the paid subscription. Assuming that is true, wouldn't the musicians be receiving some benefit by continuing to have the venue available for them to perform at? I agree that artist should be compensated their worth and I can certainly understand the concern about having the recordings available for listening indefinately to those who pay for the subscription, but at least for the archive it is my understanding that if the artist does not grant the permission, the performance will not be available on the archive. Doesn't this fact that the artist has to consent mean they still have some level of control over their music - even if they are not getting anything extra? It would be nice if the artist could get some kind of royalty in exchange for their consent to have their concerts archived. But on the other hand, I never got the impression anyone at Smalls was getting rich in this venture. This is not an easy question.

Does it make a difference at all that part of the reason for this business model is to increase revenue to keep the venue in business? I think I read somewhere that this is part of the reason for adopting the model of the paid subscription. Assuming that is true, wouldn't the musicians be receiving some benefit by continuing to have the venue available for them to perform at? I agree that artist should be compensated their worth and I can certainly understand the concern about having the recordings available for listening indefinately to those who pay for the subscription, but at least for the archive it is my understanding that if the artist does not grant the permission, the performance will not be available on the archive. Doesn't this fact that the artist has to consent mean they still have some level of control over their music - even if they are not getting anything extra? It would be nice if the artist could get some kind of royalty in exchange for their consent to have their concerts archived. But on the other hand, I never got the impression anyone at Smalls was getting rich in this venture. This is not an easy question.

thanks for supplying a comprehensive and objective overview of this question without an answer.

Has anyone else noticed how the membership rates have skyrocketed? Back in February, it was $20 for 1 year. In April, it was $20 for 6 months. Now, it's $20 for 3 months. For the Smalls Live releases, prices have gone up from $12 (including shipping) to $17 (including shipping). Have the cover charges also increased? I wonder what's going on.

Has anyone else noticed how the membership rates have skyrocketed? Back in February, it was $20 for 1 year. In April, it was $20 for 6 months. Now, it's $20 for 3 months. For the Smalls Live releases, prices have gone up from $12 (including shipping) to $17 (including shipping). Have the cover charges also increased? I wonder what's going on.

What I've heard through the grapevine relating to the streaming fees which were implemented months back, one of the underwriters who helped pay for the streaming costs in the past is no longer involved in the financing. At least that's what I was told by someone whom I would consider a reliable source.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

coming up at 930 edt from small's jazz cafe, one of my favorite piano trios----------

for this evening the trio adds guitarist gilad hekselman----talk about subtlety.

(the live stream is much improved)

Ari Hoenig - Drums

Uri Caine - Piano

Johannes Weidenmuller - Bass

smalls jazz club

Edited by alocispepraluger102

• 3 weeks later...

As a member of the rotation of paid performers at Smalls (I'm proud our friend alic.. the OP told he joined the webstream subscribers after a gig of mine this past May) I urge people to take Spike Wilner's ridiculously low offer. It's going not only into operating costs but eventually into we cats' pockets. A recent weekend had regular performers Bucky Pizzarelli/Ed Laub, Tardo Hammer Trio, Johnny O' Neal. C'mon, give up $5. It's to keep an important NY resource viable, growing, and paying performers a decent salary as we do what we've sacrificed much for. Support a good cause for $60/yr!

As a member of the rotation of paid performers at Smalls (I'm proud our friend alic.. the OP told he joined the webstream subscribers after a gig of mine this past May) I urge people to take Spike Wilner's ridiculously low offer. It's going not only into operating costs but eventually into we cats' pockets. A recent weekend had regular performers Bucky Pizzarelli/Ed Laub, Tardo Hammer Trio, Johnny O' Neal. C'mon, give up $5. It's to keep an important NY resource viable, growing, and paying performers a decent salary as we do what we've sacrificed much for. Support a good cause for $60/yr!

i've had a rare night tonight when i'm able to watch/listen. tonight is free!!!! there hasn't been a break to this fabulous stream in over 5 hours.

i'm deep in your debt for sharing this unparalleled resource, for pocket change. i hope to see another of your performances soon. all those folks are incredible and inspiring artists.

our friend and big o member, pianist frank kimbrough, appeared in a trio, 2 weeks ago, and sadly, i missed the performance. i'm looking forward to the archive.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

No, I'M deep in YOUR debt, as are all the people you are decent enough to shell out that nominal fee for. Since asked I think my own next spot will be a Mon. night solo guitar affair. Could be Dec. I'll post it when I know, and close to the date. And be on my toes w/y'all listening (; Bless you for the thread. Send a link to Spike. He'd want to see it and perhaps comment. I'm sure he's grateful.

No, I'M deep in YOUR debt, as are all the people you are decent enough to shell out that nominal fee for. Since asked I think my own next spot will be a Mon. night solo guitar affair. Could be Dec. I'll post it when I know, and close to the date. And be on my toes w/y'all listening (; Bless you for the thread. Send a link to Spike. He'd want to see it and perhaps comment. I'm sure he's grateful.

WILL DO---