$5 a month smalls jazz club membership is awesome

interview with spike---LINK

You were born and raised in New York City and part of the inaugural class of the New School jazz program. What was the scene like at New School at that time, and in New York?

The new school – I went to New School September of 1986. Earlier that year I had read in the New York Times that Arnie Lawrence was going to start a jazz program in New York and they were looking for players to come and audition. I made an appointment and my adjudicator was Tommy Flanagan. I remember that the tune that I played was “Take The A Train,” only on the second chord of the A section, instead of playing D7b5, I was playing D-7b5. It was stupid, I didn’t know what I was doing. I remember playing (sings the melody), and then Tommy walked over to the piano, and in the kindest manner, said, “Don’t you mean this?” and played this chord on the piano and it was just like the most beautiful chord I had ever heard in my life. It was all like that. The first class was very small – only 30 students. It was really a unique experiment in education, led by a wonderful guru Arnie Lawrence, that I was lucky enough to be a part of. Brought a lot of people together. Some of the original guys in my class were Larry Goldings, Peter Bernstein, Brad Mehldau, Sam Yahel, Roy Hargrove. Quite a collection of guys. That band Blues Traveler, the Spin Doctors. It was just one classroom and Arnie would bring in Jimmy Cobb, or Donald Byrd, or Milt Jackson, or Art Blakey, or Cedar Walton. It would be one jazz legend after another coming in and hanging all day. We’d rap with them and play with them. Jimmy Cobb would get on the drums and start playing, and if you wanted to play with him, you would just play. There was no lesson beyond that. It was quite amazing.

(Peter Bernstein stops into the club, and interrupts to say hello)

It was a very open forum. The biggest impact on me was the fellow students, even though I had some teachers who were quite influential. I studied with Walter Davis, Jr., and Jackie Byard. Also had some lessons with Kenny Werner when he was still a young guy just coming up. I was his first student he ever had at the New School; I learned a lot from that guy. I love Kenny. It was quite an environment. The other thing with New York at that time was that it was still a thriving jazz scene. There must have been a hundred jazz clubs – major ones, little ones, all over town. One of the first gigs I had was at the Village Gate, running their jam session every Sunday afternoon. A lot of musicians came through there. I was an arrogant young man and had my ass handed to me on a platter quite a few times.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are the musicians getting paid for these?

No one other than the club owners are getting paid. This was discussed sometime last year in a thread. There should be something that will go to the musicians. I don't want to sound like a righteous saint, who I'm not, but until the artists get something, I won't join. It's only fair.

the 'heroic' idea of 'keeping the music alive' wears thin after a bit. even a $20 per musician "internet tip" would be something.

Allen (or whoever said this--it's confusing), you are dead wrong about this. I don't care who said what in what Internet thread. They are also wrong, period. No one, owner-wise, is 'getting paid'. Spike is operating at a loss and trying all sorts of things to keep the club alive. Musicians will share in the profits down the line, and get paid for every gig except matinees, which are door gigs--and everyone doing those knows the deal going in. That's ending anyway, b/c no one comes and it's time to try something else. There was a meeting for musicians who perform at Smalls last winter. I attended, with lots of others--including representatives of local 802. The subject was the very one of how to compensate musicians for their appearance on the web stream. Spike is a good guy and a mensch. No one is profiting off of musicians at Smalls. And if it closes there will be only one fairly priced venue, Fat Cat, for non-name but worthy musicians to play jazz in NY. And who's going to pay musicians for streaming if the public doesn't support it? Will it fall from the sky like manna? So please, with all due respect---and you know I have quite a bit for you, a little less ill-advised complaining and more support would help. A lousy $5/month isn't much to ask, is it? Edited by fasstrack

are the musicians getting paid for these?

No one other than the club owners are getting paid. This was discussed sometime last year in a thread. There should be something that will go to the musicians. I don't want to sound like a righteous saint, who I'm not, but until the artists get something, I won't join. It's only fair.

the 'heroic' idea of 'keeping the music alive' wears thin after a bit. even a $20 per musician "internet tip" would be something.

Allen (or whoever said this--it's confusing), you are dead wrong about this. I don't care who said what in what Internet thread. They are also wrong, period. No one, owner-wise, is 'getting paid'. Spike is operating at a loss and trying all sorts of things to keep the club alive. Musicians will share in the profits down the line, and get paid for every gig except matinees, which are door gigs--and everyone doing those knows the deal going in. That's ending anyway, b/c no one comes and it's time to try something else. There was a meeting for musicians who perform at Smalls last winter. I attended, with lots of others--including representatives of local 802. The subject was the very one of how to compensate musicians for their appearance on the web stream. Spike is a good guy and a mensch. No one is profiting off of musicians at Smalls. And if it closes there will be only one fairly priced venue, Fat Cat, for non-name but worthy musicians to play jazz in NY. And who's going to pay musicians for streaming if the public doesn't support it? Will it fall from the sky like manna? So please, with all due respect---and you know I have quite a bit for you, a little less ill-advised complaining and more support would help. A lousy $5/month isn't much to ask, is it?

your point is well taken, joel. you have my sincere apologies. jerry

You owe me no apology whatsover. You are one of the few that did the right thing. In an environment where people seem to feel entitled to simply take music for free that so many of us sacrifice so much to make, for you to pony up even $5/month makes you a hero in my book. We're in this together and ought to view this as mutual support.

You owe me no apology whatsover. You are one of the few that did the right thing. In an environment where people seem to feel entitled to simply take music for free that so many of us sacrifice so much to make, for you to pony up even $5/month makes you a hero in my book. We're in this together and ought to view this as mutual support.

it's hard to think of a craft where a college degree in jazz performance probably won't get you to 1st base as a performer, requiring a lifetime of dedication, for peanuts, if that, and a public that doesn't know(or care) a donkey's ass from a virtuoso.

it's hard to think of a craft where a college degree in jazz performance probably won't get you to 1st base as a performer, requiring a lifetime of dedication, for peanuts, if that, and a public that doesn't know(or care) a donkey's ass from a virtuoso.

Cue JSngry with appealing photo of a donkey's ass :excited:

sorry, I'm one of the 47 precent of jazz musicians who never works but demands public support.

And I'm the 48th%. 'We're #2---we try harder'. Then there's the Mad Magazine version: 'We're #3. We don't try at all'....

for the next 2 days, smalls is presenting a collection of young trumpet virtuosi:

wednesday

http://www.smallsjazzclub.com/indexnew.cfm

thursday

http://www.smallsjazzclub.com/indexnew.cfm?itemcategory=30817&calDate=9/27/2012&calDay=19&curntdate={ts%20'2011-10-01%2016:40:29'}&allrows=true

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Smalls Jazz Club

Tonight! Sept. 27th we will have FREE LIVE STREAMED VIDEO of the Festival of New Trumpet Music curated by Jeremy Pelt starting at 7pm with Alicia Rau (trp) , 9pm with David Weiss (trp) f. Linda Oh (bass), Marcus Strickland (sax), EJ Strickland (drums), Xavier Davis (piano) and Myron Walden (sax) then at 10:30pm f. John Raymond ! We hope you enjoy this live show. Just go to our site and click LIVE VIDEO to stream.

If you find value in our live stream, please consider becoming a subscribing member. Subscribing members have 24 hour access to our stream and all of our live shows. SmallsLIVE Memberships support Smalls Jazz Club and the musicians who perform there. For more info click - http://www.smallsjazzclub.com/join2.cfm

Spike Wilner

Hello All - just letting you know that the video stream on the Smalls Jazz Club site will be free tonight. If you haven't checked out our live video, please do so. If you like it, we hope you consider becoming subscribing members. SmallsLIVE memberships directly support the club and the artsits that perform here. Go to www.smallsjazzclub.com and click "Live Video" around 4PM to close

• 8 months later...