Paul Bley - Ramblin'

Simon8

The LP was originally slated to be on GTA Italy, which released albums by Steve Lacy (Sortie) and Mal Waldron (All Alone). It was recorded in Rome at the RCA Italia studios, 1 July 1966. BYG put it out in their Actuel series.

LP issues are:

BYG (F) 529.313

BYG (JP) YX-6058

Affinity (UK) AFF 37

Red Record (IT) VPA 117

Get Back (IT) GET 313

Sound is good enough to me, not amazing; doesn't need to be IMO.

Seconded. I have the BYG (paper sleeve) reissue, and it works for me. Sound is very good to only fair at times, but I think this is to be expected from the source material.

It's a fine record. Played in conjunction with Bley's Savoy recordings, early trio work on ECM, and the Fontana record makes for a good day (week/month) of listening.

I don't have any issues with the BYG reissue sound-wise, but I wish that the liner notes were in English. I recommend the album.

Well, BYG is a French label, so it's not that strange their liner notes are not in English. Maybe time to learn French ;)

It's a fine record. Played in conjunction with Bley's Savoy recordings, early trio work on ECM, and the Fontana record makes for a good day (week/month) of listening.

Which of the Fontanas?

R-2037690-1260074383.jpeg

R-2712154-1320048799.jpeg

Great records.

I asked which because he typed "the Fontana". I know there were 2 and arguably a 3rd - In Haarlem issued initially on sister label Polydor, but all 3 come from the same master pool and now reside with the Black Lion/Freedom holdings.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Whoops — left off the s. I was thinking of Touching and Blood.

I haven't heard In Haarlem, but the Black Lion CD edition of Touching has, as its last track, the song "Blood," which was recorded November 4, 1966 in Haarlem — so maybe I've heard part of it?

My main point was that I like Bley's trio recordings from the 60's! (Yes, and the quartet session with John Gilmore.)

:party::tophat::crazy: