BFT 98 Reveal

thedwork

Part One :w (this program only allow a certain amount of images per posting, so i have to split this into two separate posts...):

Track 1 – Bruce Katz: “Boppin’ Out Of The Abyss” from:

bruce-katz-band-transformation.jpg

Figured there was a good chance no one would ID this one. But I also figured most would, for the most part, enjoy listening to it. I discovered Katz through the Ronnie Earl And Broadcasters blues band back in the 90s. They are essentially an instrumental modern blues quartet now since disbanded. Earl is an amazing guitarist but as important as his playing was/is, the rhythm section that included Katz was as essential in making that group what it was, imo. And Katz’s playing in jazz groups is excellent as well.

Track 2 – Joey Calderazzo: “The Oracle” from:

51KVY7A0JGL._SS500_.jpg

I really thought this one would get ID’d by a few folks. I came to Calderazzo the same way I figure most folks do – through the Branford Marsalis Quartet. This trio is w/ Tain and Pattitucci and I think the entire recording is terrific. Essentially no real weak spots throughout. Too bad this trio didn’t make more recordings. And as far as everyone here mentioning McCoy in relation to this track, I assume its title, “The Oracle,” refers to him.

Track 3 – Zirque Bonner: “Waltzirque” from a home recording made in Bonner’s home in Sedona, AZ.

This is Zirque’s tune. The group is Dominic Lalli on tenor, John Dworkin on guitar, Zirque on bass, and Frank Rosaly on drums. This one was pretty well guaranteed to have everyone stumped. It is not released, afaik. I wanted to include it as I feel it’s kind of a valuable recording since it’s got frank just before he moved to Chicago, and dominic before he left Arizona and started Big Gigantic. Both are pretty well known now (albeit for very different styles…) and this will be a funky little curio for anyone familiar w/ either of those two players. By the way, Zirque is a monster bassist and an amazingly cool person.

Track 4 – Nick Brignola & The Endangered Species: “Fast Food” from The Endangered Species.

Somewhat unknown recording by the great Brignola and a few other local Albany/Troy players: Chuck D’Aloia on guitar (writer of the track heard here), Rich Syracuse on bass, and Dave Calarco on drums. Another cool one for folks to have if they’re Brignola fans. I figured I’d choose one from the recording where Nick wasn’t on bari to trip folks up. Plus, D’Aloia was the big local guitar hero here for a while – w/ good reason. I was lucky to see him play live quite a bit. He’s moved West recently…

Track 5 – Jesse Van Ruller: “Christina” from:

51hYxI-NF3L._SS500_.jpg

another one I thought some here may have ID’d. maybe there were no guitarists playing this month? Terrific straight-ahead guitar playing. This entire recording is fantastic for this in the pocket vibe. And Ruller’s tone is beautiful.

Track 6 – Conrad Herwig: “With Every Breath” from:

P1140725.JPG

always liked this record and I think Herwig is spectacular on trombone. Great tone, chops, ideas, etc etc etc… and Nussbaum is one of my favorite drummers so this album “feels” good.

Track 7 – Bill Charlap: “Fantastic Rhythm” from:

41SNilF2eAL._SS400_.jpg

worthwhile tribute record to Strayhorn. The version of “Rain Check” with Lovano, Hank Jones and Paul Motian from the same record is also excellent. Really, really beautifully swinging take…

Part 2:

Track 8 – Rob Mazurek: “Quietly Sleeping” from:

017090.jpg

another one I thought someone might ID but maybe there aren’t as many “Chicago Scene” fanatics out there as I’d thought/hoped. Most of the rest of this particular recording is not much like this track. It’s some pretty difficult, idiosyncratic electro-acoustic improvised stuff. He’s one of my favorite creative experimental improvising artists. I came to him through Isotope 217, a group introduced to me by an old drummer friend.

Track 9 – Richie Beirach: “Inamorata” from:

61NoAquRt0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

solo piano recording of which about half are well known classical pieces which Beirach improvises over. This track, “Inamorata,” is a Beirach original. This album is my favorite solo piano recording ever. In my mind it’s a masterpiece. As is another solo piano recording of his, Self Portraits, though that recording is very different stylistically from this one…

Track 10 – Fly Trio: “Emergence/Resurgence” from:

51cmMzc9qeL._SS500_.jpg

three of my favorite modern players. I wouldn’t say this is an essential recording, but something about this track always intrigues me. It’s got a mystery to it, but at the same time it’s kind of calculating. The precision of the shifts, the musicality and the tachnique, just all so fine…

Track 11 – Josh Abrams: “Background Beneath” from:

cipher.jpg

anyone who has an interest in modern free playing and creative improvised music in general should buy this record. Amazing…

Track 12 – Chris Potter: “Iroquois” from… I believe it’s unreleased. Here’s my source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6xnigsCEgU&feature=relmfu

I did some digging around the internets and am pretty sure this is an unreleased original by Potter that this particular quartet played live. I found some article/review of a gig by this group where the reviewer mentioned them playing a tune called “Iroquois” and got a confirmation from the person who uploaded this video. Sound quality is pretty good and this is another one I thought someone might ID. This was my way of getting Kevin Hays into the BFT. Wonderful pianist. And the entire first half of this performance for me is magic. Potter’s beautiful intro, the wonderfully playful and kind of childlike head, the ascending line that starts at 1:38 and leads to the break, and then it comes around again. And then the free blowing exchanges (over time) between Potter and Hays where the melody is never too far away. Just so fine in my mind. And when the time breaks and Hays plays, he gets quite third stream for a moment… not unlike something Beirach might have played. But like what someone here I think mentioned earlier, I also would’ve liked if Potter had continued the tune on his soprano through the end. I think it’s character fit the tune better. But he’s Chris Potter. The other three vids on youtube from this concert are all fantastic as well. watch them.

Track 13 – Sonny Rollins w/ Don Cherry: “You Are My Lucky Star” from:

411KW2EJ5XL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

not much needs to be said here. Amazing music. Figured some folks would recognize it. I’ll admit that if I didn’t own this record I would likely not have recognized anything here except for maybe picking out Cherry…

Track 14 – Allan Holdsworth: “Floppy Hat” from:

41kMsjAKwDL._SL500_.jpg

I used to be a guitar player so I was immediately aware of Holdsworth’s genius from the first time I heard him as a kid. Whether you like his music or not is a separate issue – if you play guitar, you realize quickly how special this man is. Other open-minded (and “open-eared”) musicians realize it as well. I listened to this track many times a day for possibly as long as a few years from high school into early college. I put it on every mixed tape I made for friends. It’s burned deep into my consciousness and represents time and place for me. It’s also apparently a good stumper for a BFT...

Edited by thedwork

There is so much I wanna get, and so many of these records I wanna explore but.... you put a CTI record on a BFT!!! That's like manna from Heaven for me!!! I'm a CTI fanatic and THIS has just shot to the top of my vinyl shopping list!!! Oh how I wish I'd had this information while I was in Austin this past weekend!

An EXCEPTIONAL BFT!!! One for the ages! :party: :party: :party:

Very interesting. The tracks that I thought sounded familiar were not. Although, I do have a couple of Richie Beirach LPs that I haven't listened to for ever. I need to correct that because based on track #9, the guy can really play piano. Also, I'm surpised that I wasn't more attracted to the Josh Abrams track. I have heard the CD, don't own, and remember liking it. I never bought it because, well, you just can't buy everything.

Thanks again for your efforts. I enjoyed the BFT alot.

There is so much I wanna get, and so many of these records I wanna explore but.... you put a CTI record on a BFT!!! That's like manna from Heaven for me!!! I'm a CTI fanatic and THIS has just shot to the top of my vinyl shopping list!!! Oh how I wish I'd had this information while I was in Austin this past weekend!

An EXCEPTIONAL BFT!!! One for the ages! :party: :party: :party:

Yea!!!

Track 12, Chris Potter. Shoulda known. Not one of my favorites, but I know I'm in the minority there. Ah well!

i hear you. i'm not crazy about everything i hear from him either, but when i do like him, for me he hits it outta the park. and this quartet he's playing w/ on this concert from youtube is about as good as it gets. i really think this group very... deep. they're diggin' deep and they arrive at some beautiful places. here's two more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-rwYH_SJlU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwzKjgLcVig

personally, i just do not tire of listening to these. amazing music.

Very interesting. The tracks that I thought sounded familiar were not. Although, I do have a couple of Richie Beirach LPs that I haven't listened to for ever. I need to correct that because based on track #9, the guy can really play piano. Also, I'm surpised that I wasn't more attracted to the Josh Abrams track. I have heard the CD, don't own, and remember liking it. I never bought it because, well, you just can't buy everything.

Thanks again for your efforts. I enjoyed the BFT alot.

you are most welcome NIS. of course i'm glad you enjoyed some of the music. couple things: Beirach is an interesting musician and i have an odd relationship to his playing. i LOVE the two solo piano recordings i have by him. they're real important to me. but a lot of his other stuff (group stuff, duos w/ Herwig, things with Leibman, sideman stuff, etc...) i don't always like. sometimes, but not often. so if you revisit the other LPs you have by him and don't get too excited, i'd say still try to get your hands on the solo piano recordings Sunday Songs and Self-Portraits. they're special.

also: you say some stuff sounded familiar but was not. i say even if you hadn't heard some of this stuff before, it could still be familiar :w

peace...

Edited by thedwork