Miles Davis: The Bootleg Series, volume 2

CJ Shearn

From the Miles Ahead website:

New Miles Davis sets in preparation (5/20/2012)

Sony is preparing two new sets for release in the fall. The first is another installment in the Miles Davis Bootleg Series, to appear in September 2012 -- this will be a three-CD, one-DVD set of live 1969 sets, including two concerts from Antibes on July 25 and July 26, plus pieces of two sets from Stockholm on November 5. The DVD will contain the November 7 performance at the Berlin Philharmonie. The second set is a reissue of the first eight Miles Davis Columbia LPs in mono -- 'Round About Midnight, Miles Ahead, Milestones, Jazz Track, Porgy and Bess, Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, and Someday My Prince Will Come. The LPs will be pressed on 180-gram vinyl and will come in heavy facsimilies of the original covers. If this sounds vaguely familiar, you might be recalling Sony's 2010 box, Bob Dylan: The Original Mono Recordings (Columbia 88697 76105-1), which did for Dylan what the planned set will do for Davis.

FINALLY! We get the Antibes sets officially! This set should be great. Another of one of my fav Miles periods.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Might be a good idea to make sure you haven't posted broken links before declaring threads CLOSED.

All I'm doing is trying to clean up the garbage that other people have dropped in the streets of Organissimo, and obviously I'm wasting my time trying to do it. If make a mistake, maybe you should go get yourself a new garbage collector or just stroll through the garbage-littered landscape while keeping your nose pinned and your mouth shut. :angry:

Might be a good idea to make sure you haven't posted broken links before declaring threads CLOSED.

All I'm doing is trying to clean up the garbage that other people have dropped in the streets of Organissimo, and obviously I'm wasting my time trying to do it. If make a mistake, maybe you should go get yourself a new garbage collector or just stroll through the garbage-littered landscape while keeping your nose pinned and your mouth shut. :angry:

:lol::tup

A thankless (but necessary) job that few people want to do.

A thankless (but necessary) job that few people want to do.

Tell me about it. You should have seen the nasty messages I got when I was still a moderator. I even got a few after I had resigned. Very nice.

Larry is doing a great job as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by J.A.W.

So, if the the Nov. 5th date is accurate, then (according to "Miles Ahead"), the 3rd disc of material may include a few (3?) tunes with Chick on acoustic piano?!

(source)

Full track-listing available at the link I've provided above, but here's the relevant footnote:

Corea begins the first concert on a malfunctioning electric piano, but he gives up on it -- after a short interval, he plays acoustic piano for the remainder of the concert. Davis's choice of tunes ("Paraphernalia," "Nefertiti," and "Masqualero") was probably influenced by the lack of an electric piano.

ALSO, I see that the DVD is NOT the same concert as was issued with the "Legacy Edition" Bitches Brew set. Other than the first disc (which I have an original Japanese issue of, called "1969 Miles") - this entire release will be new to me.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

ALSO, I see that the DVD is NOT the same concert as was issued with the "Legacy Edition" Bitches Brew set. Other than the first disc (which I have an original Japanese issue of, called "1969 Miles") - this entire release will be new to me.

Sorry for having started that rumour - not sure what went on in my brain when I posted that :blink:

Those tracks with acoustic piano will show you that all the fuss about Miles "flirting" with electricity/rock/etc at the time were very much missing the point that Miles was doing more than just flirting with "free jazz" on his gigs. He had a tongue in the ear and a hand under the skirt, if you know what I mean.

By the time that band got to Filmore (with either Wayne or Grossman) they had done made a baby, Miles & Free Jazz had. But all anybody was getting hard about was the "electric instruments".

Somebody wasn't paying attention!

Those tracks with acoustic piano will show you that all the fuss about Miles "flirting" with electricity/rock/etc at the time were very much missing the point that Miles was doing more than just flirting with "free jazz" on his gigs. He had a tongue in the ear and a hand under the skirt, if you know what I mean.

By the time that band got to Filmore (with either Wayne or Grossman) they had done made a baby, Miles & Free Jazz had. But all anybody was getting hard about was the "electric instruments".

Somebody wasn't paying attention!

Interesting analogies, Mr. ngry ;)

I hope Mr. Kart realizes I thought that thread should not have been closed for an important reason or two, and was not criticizing his closing of duplicate threads in general.

I understood it that way, and that's why I changed my mind about closing the thread. It was Big Wheel's nyah-nyah post above that irked me.