CJ Shearn

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the cover!

I like the colors ok, but...that photo is from, when, 1959?

There are some Val Wilmer photos taken from around the same time that would have made really spectacular covers. Are they dated? Yeah, sure, but when you put "1969" right there on the cover, it's not like you're running away from anything.

That cover is like this one in reverse:

1248426.jpg

I like the cover!

I like the colors ok, but...that photo is from, when, 1959?

1248426.jpg

That cover is not from 1959,

Yeah, tsat's my point - that Prestige cover was using a photo of one era to sell the music of another. Other than the sweat & hairline(?), there's really nothng in that photo that ties it to it's time. Is America still scared of 1969?

There are other photos that would have been a lot more definitive about "1969". That Val Wilmer book has beaucoup pix of everybody in the band looking really period-sharp, not just Miles (there's one of Wayne playing tenor in this really killer vest/puffy-sleve-shirt combo...that band dressed with the same swagger with which they played). This one is just a big orange Miles sweaty-head. Fortunately, the music will be a lot more than just that!

Ok...you guys pay more attention to hairlines than I do (or have ever even considered doing!)...who knew?

I still believe that the clothes were more interesting than the hairline, and not just with Miles, but I also know people who don't check out your shoes, they check out your socks (which is why I love going full-on Leon Roppolo whenever possible), so, it just goes to show, different strokes, and all that.

2887500.jpg

These aren't Wilmer covers photos below, but still...

Jack-DeJohnette_2392831c.jpg

David Redfern from the Ronnie Scotts engagement? (the one where they wiped over the TV recording).

The club still has (or at least it did have last time I was there some years ago) Redfern originals of Miles framed on the walls.

Edited by sidewinder

I was at Scott's on that evening (Sunday 2nd November 1969), and believe it or not there was also a set from Cecil Taylor all recorded as part of a series of gigs for BBC's Jazz 625. It was very disappointing that the subsequent broadcasts did not feature the sets as recorded but were split up to single numbers.

The BBC did everyone a disservice by wiping the tapes to save what amounts to pocket money. It's not their only crime, the majority of the 'Q' series of comedies by Spike Milligan were wiped and also his wonderful series of 'World of Beachcomer'. All this stuff gone forever. It's evil.

Was he playing David Crosby's Guinnevere?

Sorry - that refers to Steve Gray's post with the cowboy jacket.

I don't think so but the truth is I had no idea what they were playing. I don't think any of the tunes had been released at the time, or very few of them at least.

This is the set list for the 2nd show according to plosin but I don't know whether I was at the 1st or 2nd.

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Sessions.aspx?s=691101

And now I see that amazon.de has reduced its price one euro to 21,99 euros.

Hans, may I assume that amazon.de's policy on pre-orders is the same as amazon.com's - that you will be charged the lowest price offered between the date you ordered and the shipping date?

Yes. Hedge bets. Order from both and cancel highest a few days before release. Simple as that.