Miles Davis: The Bootleg Series, volume 2

CJ Shearn

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wasn't going to get this when I first read about it but then I saw it at Amoeba's in San Francisco last weekend and in a weak moment bought it. I've now listened to everything once and my favorite disc is #3 but that could change after hearing these discs some more. I paid quite a bit more for my copy vs. the Amazon price but I didn't have to wait for it. I hope Sony is happy and continues to release more of these sets.

So far my favorite is disc #3. I can't say why just yet, I'm just going by the way I felt while listening to it. Maybe it was the appearance of the acoustic piano after the electric one died in the opening track. I'm not real fond of Miles' trumpet sound on these recordings (the distortion) but it's great to hear him really play for a change.

Isn't it? That's what makes that third disc so great and the two versions of Nefertiti included in the set. The panel, with the hip hoppers, I wonder if they will be able to contribute substantial insight, because Q-Tip's comments in the making of KOB documentary contributed absolutely nothing. Q-Tip loves jazz, so that was surprisuing

Isn't it? That's what makes that third disc so great and the two versions of Nefertiti included in the set. The panel, with the hip hoppers, I wonder if they will be able to contribute substantial insight, because Q-Tip's comments in the making of KOB documentary contributed absolutely nothing. Q-Tip loves jazz, so that was surprisuing

Is he named Q-Tip in the hopes that people will stick him in their ears?

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion on the sound of July 25 Antibes disc is here: the two versions are too different to say which one is "better." I listened both through Beyerdynamic T1 headphones and preferred the new version, as it sounded cleaner and more immediate to these ears and it had none of the reverb nonsense that marred the Miles1969 version. Then I listened to both through Genelec 8030a near-field monitors and was surprised how much better the Miles1969 CD sounded. It had way deeper and clearer bass and stereo field was enjoyable (even if it was "fake stereo") as the new version had none. Both versions have their use, you see. I bet the guys who did the mixing had good reasons to do anything they did. The master tape must sound pretty weak.

I think Sony made a big error in pricing it too high on release date; I think that served to dampen enthusiasm and sales (and engender resentment from those who bought at too high a price). Hopefully they'll learn from this lesson for volume 3.

I think Sony made a big error in pricing it too high on release date; I think that served to dampen enthusiasm and sales (and engender resentment from those who bought at too high a price). Hopefully they'll learn from this lesson for volume 3.

Fortunately, even from pretty early on some of the Marketplace sellers on Amazon had better prices, so I didn't feel too burned.

But I have to admit, this set just isn't doing much for me, and I'll probably be selling it off within a week or two.

When I did my comparison to the Japanese single disc, I definitely hear the greater clarity that Lon refers to on the new Bootleg 2 box. On the other hand, I felt that the bass and drums were louder/higher up in the mix on the Japanese version and that the tone of the bass more prettier on the Japanese - that may reflect the "drier" sound on the Bootleg 2 box that ShowsOn refers to.

My two cents.

I think reverb was added in the mastering of the Japanese cd. And it muddies things up for me, and makes bass and drums sound thicker, slower, maybe "pretiier," but not "prettier" to me on my system. The new one is a definite upgrade for me.

There is definitely reverb added to the Japanese CD. It's a bit too much and quite artificial but it does help warm some things up and makes most of the instruments sound fuller (this is what reverb is supposed to do actually) and while that is nice, the reverb is just too artificial to make this a more pleasant listening experience. They could have used a different sort of reverb or less of it and it might have had a better overall effect (as in it makes everything fuller and warmer but you don't actually hear more reverb). This new version could have used a little of that, it's bright and a little thin but a better overall listening experience I guess. I've had copies of this stuff for years and I actually still like the sound of my raw boots better then this.

I'm just glad this stuff is out. I love it. Miles is so strong of these CDs (and most of the 1969 stuff). I've used the second show at Antibes to debunk the Miles is not a great trumpet myth many times. That second show has some of the most intense, powerful trumpet playing ever to me, especially on Masquelero.

Edited by david weiss

• 4 weeks later...

The DVD on disc 4 is a different concert than on the other 3 audio discs. What's the best way to rip the audio track separately? My two go-to programs on the Mac, Amadeus and Toast 10, don't seem to offer this option. It's also strange that on the DVD disc, the AUDIO_TS folder is empty. Does anyone have experience with ripping the audio portion of this particular DVD (and not just general information)?

The DVD on disc 4 is a different concert than on the other 3 audio discs. What's the best way to rip the audio track separately? My two go-to programs on the Mac, Amadeus and Toast 10, don't seem to offer this option. It's also strange that on the DVD disc, the AUDIO_TS folder is empty. Does anyone have experience with ripping the audio portion of this particular DVD (and not just general information)?

The AUDIO_TS folder is always empty. I've never encountered a disc that had a full one.

A good first step could be to make a rip of the DVD to your harddrive with Mac DVd Ripper Pro.

The AUDIO_TS folder is always empty. I've never encountered a disc that had a full one.

A good first step could be to make a rip of the DVD to your harddrive with Mac DVd Ripper Pro.

I see that Mac DVD Ripper Pro will copy the video+audio to iTunes. But what if I just want the audio?

I see that Mac DVD Ripper Pro will copy the video+audio to iTunes. But what if I just want the audio?

If you have the untouched VIDEO_TS folder without copy protection on your hard drive there must be ways to access just the audio. Perhaps others can fill in here.

Edited by erwbol

MAC DVD Ripper Pro removes the CSS encryption for you and makes a perfect copy to your hard drive in the .iso format. You can double click on this file and open it like a .zip file. Then you can copy the VIDEO_TS folder from the .iso and mess with it. Keep the .iso in case your DVD ever gets damaged. It'll let you burn an exact replica with just the CSS removed.

When you start Mac DVD Ripper Pro, first access the preferences menu and deselect 'Use .dvdmedia extension' and you are good to go. You get 5 free rips with the trial version.

No idea how to get there with a Mac ... but be aware that the DVD has lossy audio (all DVDs have). Prob. 192 kbs or something.

With Windows, I've got some software which creates an MPG from the DVD and that then can be opened in audio progammes and saved again as audio-files (WAV) ... has to be tracked manually then. I did that with the DVD in the big Bitches Brew box, but quite frankly I'm not even sure I ever once listened to the CDR I burned in the end. It's a hassle anyways.

PC wise there is a thing called dvd audio extractor which someone here told me about, years ago. Its a breeze to work rips to Wav split by dvd index and you can have a 30 day trial. Downloaded a trial to a new laptop recently and it worked like a dream.

PC wise there is a thing called dvd audio extractor which someone here told me about, years ago. Its a breeze to work rips to Wav split by dvd index and you can have a 30 day trial. Downloaded a trial to a new laptop recently and it worked like a dream.

You should be able to run dvd audio extractor on OS X with WineBottler.

Thanks. According to CNET, DVD Audio Extractor also works on Mac. Maybe I'll try that.

I downloaded DVD Audio Extractor, but when I went to open it, there was a notice that it was "from an unidentified developer," which gave me pause. So I went to the App Store and downloaded DVD Ripper Pro. This also had a free trial version. It worked fine; ripping the audio took about 15 minutes, and gave me one uninterrupted mp3 file (there is a choice of file formats available). Volume level is a little low, but that's easily correctable in Amadeus. I sampled the resulting file and it sounds fine; I now just have to split the performance into individual tracks.

• 11 months later...