Miles Davis: The Bootleg Series, volume 2

CJ Shearn

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd trade the DVD for a better booklet in these (and other) sets anyday. At least I take the booklets out once in a while and read them. The DVDs in these packages might get one play, and then back they go, never to be played again. That would lower the cost for Sony, wouldn't it?

Quincy, my box has two stickers on the front - both the German one and the "Lost Band" one.

The "Lost Band" one is on the shrinkwrap, while the FSK is on the digipack itself - at least that's how mine came.

But this whole discussion has long gone beyond ridiculous anyway ... I'd really wish Vol. 3 would go on with more of the November 1969 tour material ... sure, we've got the DVD here and the DVD in the BB anniversary box, but I rarely watch DVDs (don't even have a functioning player right now) and would prefer to have more music!

But then, future volumes dedicated to the 1971 and 1973 would obviously be most welcome, too (I don't think they'll give us 1964, as that would be pirated right away - or even has been already - but 1964 would be great, too).

Well I watch DVDs often, Blu-rays when possible, and the resolution is a bit better on the DVD sonics wise, and the picture in this one is exceptionally good. I'm all for the 3 to 1 DVD ratio. . . and I doubt I'm the only fan of the DVDs.

My sticker set up was the same: yellow on the shrink wrap, white "0" sticker on teh digipak itself.

Quincy, my box has two stickers on the front - both the German one and the "Lost Band" one.

Maybe that makes it a collector's item, and I shouldn't open it!!!

Mine had one of those too on the outer cellophane. The easily removable (I haven't, but I can tell it is) FSK sticker is on the cover itself.* Most folks here seem to be more turned on by the FSK sticker than the Lost Band one so I forgot about the other. I'm thinking of making my own FSK stickers for domestic issues I buy.

To return to the music, repeating what's mentioned above the DVD is an upgrade from the bootleg version. :rlol

(Away from the music) other options for posing the FSK Miles include an Oregonian with the '87 stock market crash and I might know where a Truman Dies At 88 Chicago Tribune is. (I've recently been moving stuff around in storage and have come across "stuff.")

*Should have read ahead a the King handled this. Imagine living somewhere where these glorious stickers are normal. ;)

Edited by Quincy

Oh, I'm not against the DVD at all - I'd just wish the November tour was covered better in terms of audio!

There are so many good concerts from that tour... I realize that it was probably not commercially feasible to include more of them, but nobody who likes this music should go without hearing Rome (10/27), Paris (11/03 - amazing "Masqualero"), Copenhagen (11/04) and especially Rotterdam (11/09). Some of these are, in my opinion, better than what's included on this box set.

And the wider range of material as well makes this really special.

Got my copy today and I have to agree about this - nice to have an electric Miles set that covers a bit more material than the usual bits (Directions, Spanish Key, Miles Runs the Voodoo Down etc.).

Oh, I'm not against the DVD at all - I'd just wish the November tour was covered better in terms of audio!

There are so many good concerts from that tour... I realize that it was probably not commercially feasible to include more of them, but nobody who likes this music should go without hearing Rome (10/27), Paris (11/03 - amazing "Masqualero"), Copenhagen (11/04) and especially Rotterdam (11/09). Some of these are, in my opinion, better than what's included on this box set.

Yes! I fullly agree! And that's why I was touting the idea that Vol. 3 could go on with the Oct./Nov. 1969 tour!

But then I guess that might be a less good seller if they brought out another volume from the same tour.

This set really is excellent. I hope Sony sell lots so we can see Vol 3 in due course. There's a lot to digest here. I suspect I have much of this on bit torrent things but frankly I hardly ever look at those , I vastly prefer official reissues like this. In think this set might just have the edge on Vol 1 ( IMO) .

Grooves-inc (Switzerland) currently have a 15% discount (till Feb 18) on any single item (code us112) -> discount on the highest priced item in order (if order total is over 20 euros then shipping is free)

They have the box advertised as 19.99 euros & with the discount the price came down to 16.99 (also free shipping).

Got mine in this afternoon from Germany. I actually really like the poster and the liner notes thereon. Digging the sound of the first disc!

Interesting comment. Folks on the Miles list complained about the subpar sound as compared to the Japanese "1969 Miles".

Got mine in this afternoon from Germany. I actually really like the poster and the liner notes thereon. Digging the sound of the first disc!

Interesting comment. Folks on the Miles list complained about the subpar sound as compared to the Japanese "1969 Miles".

Which Miles list (I ve never been to any Miles List and i am intrested to browse a little bit) ?. Thanks!

Alex

In my opinion the sound is improved. Reverb and mud removed.

When I did my comparison to the Japanese single disc, I definitely hear the greater clarity that Lon refers to on the new Bootleg 2 box. On the other hand, I felt that the bass and drums were louder/higher up in the mix on the Japanese version and that the tone of the bass more prettier on the Japanese - that may reflect the "drier" sound on the Bootleg 2 box that ShowsOn refers to.

My two cents.

I no longer own a camera, believe it or not. Maybe Jim can make you one when he gets it.

do you own a PHONE? ;)

I wan't actual snaps of the stickers. Preferably with today's newspaper in shot.

I'll meet you halfway.

Meet my new desktop image! Thank you!

I own a very basic cell phone but don't have a cord to conect it to the iMac, nor know what to do with it if I did. I'm not into pictures.

I misspoke, I actually have a camera, but I no longer have the software to use it with my iMac, and the laptop I had used it with has died. So I really don't have a working camera for sharing pics. Which is okay with me.

I'm just like you, Lon. I am thinking of getting a camera though as I will be traveling to Europe this May.

By the way, this set doesn't do much for me. I have the US version with everything in mint condition. If anyone wants it for $30, I can ship early next week. I think I will be abused for wanting to part with this.

Edited by Bol