Miles Davis: The Bootleg Series, volume 2

CJ Shearn

When I did my comparison to the Japanese single disc, I definitely hear the greater clarity that Lon refers to on the new Bootleg 2 box. On the other hand, I felt that the bass and drums were louder/higher up in the mix on the Japanese version and that the tone of the bass more prettier on the Japanese - that may reflect the "drier" sound on the Bootleg 2 box that ShowsOn refers to.

My two cents.

I think reverb was added in the mastering of the Japanese cd. And it muddies things up for me, and makes bass and drums sound thicker, slower, maybe "pretiier," but not "prettier" to me on my system. The new one is a definite upgrade for me.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I did my comparison to the Japanese single disc, I definitely hear the greater clarity that Lon refers to on the new Bootleg 2 box. On the other hand, I felt that the bass and drums were louder/higher up in the mix on the Japanese version and that the tone of the bass more prettier on the Japanese - that may reflect the "drier" sound on the Bootleg 2 box that ShowsOn refers to.

My two cents.

I think reverb was added in the mastering of the Japanese cd. And it muddies things up for me, and makes bass and drums sound thicker, slower, maybe "pretiier," but not "prettier" to me on my system. The new one is a definite upgrade for me.

Lon,

I ultimately have to agree with you that I prefer the Bootleg box, but not sure what you are saying in the second sentence... unless it's just that I can't spell :Nod: ... which I can be guilty of.

My two cents.

Lon,

I ultimately have to agree with you that I prefer the Bootleg box, but not sure what you are saying in the second sentence... unless it's just that I can't spell :Nod: ... which I can be guilty of.

Lon, I think I get it now, you were not trying to reference any mispelling on my part, but I assume you accidentally spelled prettier differently?

Don't really know how to explain it other than the Japanese cd sounds "slower" to me, there's more body to the sound, which on some systems can sound better or "prettier" but to me the clarity of the new version wins out, and I don't think that it makes the bass and drums sound "thin" at all, just gives a clear picture of them without extra reverb reflections.

Don't really know how to explain it other than the Japanese cd sounds "slower" to me, there's more body to the sound, which on some systems can sound better or "prettier" but to me the clarity of the new version wins out, and I don't think that it makes the bass and drums sound "thin" at all, just gives a clear picture of them without extra reverb reflections.

The drums on the new version to me have a tonal character definitely, there a nice pop to the snare and I can clearly hear the overtones in the toms. Jack always tunes his toms fairly tight but you can definitely hear resonance. I'm listening on a set of Audio Technica ATHMFS40 headphones. The clip ShowsOn posted of the Japanese CD sounds washy, lacks clarity and sounds more like a faked live recording.

Got it now, thanks!!!

Two things:

1) Amazon has it for $35.30 right now

[update: Daedalus Music for $29.95]

2) There's a panel discussion about this at SXSW next month:

Miles Davis Bootleg 2: The Lost Quintet

MODERATOR: Ashley Kahn, Author/Producer

Nell Mulderry,Owner, Boss Sounds

Meghan Stabile, Revive Music Group

Imani, Artist, The Pharcyde

Vincent Wilburn Jr., CEO, Nefdrum Productions

Bootie Brown, Artist, The Pharcyde

Edited by BFrank

Well, that should be a lively discussion.

Well, that should be a lively discussion.

Saw a similar panel there in 2010 (Miles Davis-Bitches Brew 40th Anniversary Tribute) with Kahn and Wilburn, but also Erin Davis, Steve Berkowitz, and Lenny White.

DSCN1343.JPG

Lon,

I also find it very difficult through Directions on the DVD to hear what Dave Holland is playing. I think this has more to do with the live mix. He does not have the definite sound that Chick's bass range has, and Jack's bass drum is mic'd to boom.

Even in quiet passages, I want more out of the bass mic(s) than they seem to have mixed. I guess it sounded fine in the monitors?

Still, once my ears find him, there he is. That, or the board engineer was doing what he could to gradually fix the mix? It seems to improve carefully into Bitches Brew.

Edited by .:.impossible

Well, that's far more accurate than what I said before. He does come through much better through my system than he does through my TV, I did check that out. You're right, he's sort of buried in the mix at times, but most of the time I can hear him. Some phenomenal bass playing on that disc! (On all four discs).