Stunning Ragtime piano from Virginia Tichenor

Larry Kart

Poking around on the 'Net with thoughts in mind of my recently deceased friend Bob Wright -- the great Ragtime and Stride pianist who also loved the music of Lennie Tristano (Bob claimed to be able to play Tristano's multi-tracked "Turkish Mambo" all by himself; I heard him do it once but couldn't swear he got all the notes in), Ravel, Burt Bacharach, Bud Powell, and others -- I thought of checking out the work of his Ragtime and Stride colleague ( both as a player and a scholar) Trebor Tichenor, only to discover that Tichenor's daughter is one terrific player herself. Check out these two performances (the first of a fine piece by Trebor, the other of a gem by Mae Aufderheide). There are more from Virginia on YouTube. What a swinger she is!

Love that foot stomping on the last one - I can't tell if she has something under her foot (those heels probably are enough?)

& the left hand halfway through Cow Cow Davenport - it's not hard to believe he was thrown out of the seminary for the way he played marches.

Forgot to mention that among Bob Wright's other passions was sheets of sound Coltrane. This is a passion he shared with steeped-in-Pee Wee Russell-but-still-his-own-brilliant-man clarinetist Frank Chace (d. 2007). Back in the day (probably the mid-1980s) I made a cassette tape of Bob and Frank rehearsing in Bob's living room; they played several Coltrane and Dameron tunes. Sadly, the tape seems to have vanished about fiv e years ago after I lent it to a friend to have it digitalized, but his apartment is full of stuff, so I haven't given up hope.