Ran Blake

colinmce

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what I've heard of Blake , SN box now ordered . I don't generally like buying music by the kilo . I mostly prefer immaculately curated issues/reissues ( like Nessa ) . As a consequence only the Threadgill and Cyrille box are in my collection.  However I didn't have any of this RB material so I broke my self imposed rule and went for the box .

Would also (re)recommend Ran's latest release, Ghost Tones. It was reviewed in this NYT write-up not too long ago. The music is incredible. It's also fun to see all of the legends' signatures Ran collected in support of Russell. How often do you see a page signed by Monk, Randy Weston, Ornette, Bill Evans, Freddie Hubbard, and Eric Dophy -- in few square inches?

Would also (re)recommend Ran's latest release, Ghost Tones. It was reviewed in this NYT write-up not too long ago. The music is incredible. It's also fun to see all of the legends' signatures Ran collected in support of Russell. How often do you see a page signed by Monk, Randy Weston, Ornette, Bill Evans, Freddie Hubbard, and Eric Dophy -- in few square inches?

Yes - excellent!

Yes, although i've only really listened to The Short Life of Barbara Monk, which i think is nice but don't really get the hype. I usually keep my opinion on Blake to myself as i feel like, basically, i could be wrong especially as i haven't really listened to him enough beyond that one album, which, despite being a classic... for me, sometimes, often even, i find that the classic album (see KOB, A Love Supreme etc) is not the best entry point for me and it's not until i've explored more of the discography that i go back to the classic and really get into it.

To my ears, Ran Blake mines a small area very deeply.

The most on-point sentence in this thread, in my opinion.

I think I once said somewhere in these forums that there was a remarkable aspect to Mr. Blake's technique that I never fully appreciated until I heard him live (in a small auditorium at Georgia State University in Atlanta) - he has the most amazing and subtle pedal technique of any pianist I've ever heard.