Ran Blake

colinmce

Details about the Chris Connor, Claude Chabrol, and George Russell tribute discs at ranblake.com. Ricky Ford appears on the first two, which are coming out on Universal Jazz France. Very exciting news. The Russell is a large ensemble recording a la Doctor Mabuse.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I recently read Robin D G Kelley's biography of Monk and note that Blake was one of the very few up-and-coming musicians that Thelonious liked. Up till now I haven't heard any of Blake's music, but as I write I'm listening on YouTube to a track from his Short Life of Barbara Monk, dedicated to Thelonious's daughter who died in her early thirties.

I also read this recently and it really motivated me to want to dig deeper into Blake's music. Monk did not seem like the kind of guy to throw these types of compliments around lightly.

Blake's Abbey Lincoln Tribute is beautiful. He played it live in Kalamazoo for the Gilmore Keyboard Festival a couple of years ago (on my birthday). Blue Lake Public Radio has broadcast that concert a few times since. The excerpt from Primacy of the Ear about Abbey is good stuff, talking about his days as a waiter at the Jazz Gallery when Max Roach was getting ready his Freedom Now Suite for recording.

I recently read Robin D G Kelley's biography of Monk and note that Blake was one of the very few up-and-coming musicians that Thelonious liked. Up till now I haven't heard any of Blake's music, but as I write I'm listening on YouTube to a track from his Short Life of Barbara Monk, dedicated to Thelonious's daughter who died in her early thirties.

I also read this recently and it really motivated me to want to dig deeper into Blake's music. Monk did not seem like the kind of guy to throw these types of compliments around lightly.

Monk also gave Blake piano lessons and Blake babysat Barbara Monk; so, you have to figure they were close...or, as close as Monk could get with anyone.

Ran has a new album of duos with drummer Jon Hazilla out on CIMP called Kaleidoscope. AFAICT it's only available at Klompfoot. I was glad I read the email I got or I wouldn't have known. The CIMP website hasn't been updated in years and most places don't stock their newer releases. No recording date known, but I'm placing my order tomorrow.

I recommend it. Like many of his CDs, it can also be ordered from http://www.ranblake.com, where you get 1 free CD when you order 3. In my experience, shipping has been fast and reasonably priced. Edit: I should note that the site has (had?) a limited number of autographed copies for sale.

Edited by Justin V

• 2 weeks later...

Jazz Loft also carries CIMP recordings, including Kaleidoscope. BTW, what is up with that label? Frustrating that they won't even keep their own site current. This music is hard enough to promote and consume without the label helping to cover it up.

• 2 months later...

For any boarders in the Boston area this looks like a good one:

Big gig alert: Ran plays the Regattabar in Boston on Wednesday, February 5 at 7:30 p.m. To commemorate the recent reissue of Ran Blake Plays Solo Piano on CD, Ran will play the 1965 album from start to finish. For more information and to reserve a ticket, visit the Regattabar's website.

• 10 months later...

Well, Ran's Chris Connor tribute from 2011 is finally out, but appears to be a Europe-only release. Maybe it'll make its way stateside eventually? One can hope. What a joke, otherwise, this nu-Impulse! business is. Ranblake.com should have copies soon; currently it's available from frustratingly few online retailers.

• 1 month later...

I highly recommend the new Chris Connor tribute. Especially welcome to hear Ran with Ricky Ford again. Some nice snippets of CC singing to add atmosphere, as producer Jean-Phillipe Allard has done in the past with Charlie Haden's Quartet West albums. Recording/mixing engineer, Jay Newland captures Ran's piano as well as (if not better than) it's ever been recorded. Some copies are available at ranblake.com and Amazon too.

Also, just want to mention that I've heard the George Russell tribute and it is a monster, a stone gas motherfuck@r. Ran solo, duo, with large ensemble, strings, electronics. I'm also a long-time Russell fan so this is a dream combination. It brings to mind Rodin's Monument to Balzac, the rare instance where a tribute transcends its subject. In the meantime, just listen to Ran's solo version of "Stratusphunk" from 1965 on ESP. Nobody does Russell like this. They were friends since 1960. These new recordings (from 2010) are mind-blowing and should be out early next year.

Ran Blake, friends. Sleep on him at your own peril.

Connor tribute on UK impulse!, correct? But what will Russell tribute be on?

It is Impulse, JS, but I believe it is part of Universal Music France, as was the Haden/Hall record from earlier in the year. Aaron Hartley will be releasing the GR tribute on his own imprint, A-side Records, with a grant / funding from the New England Conservatory. He's a fine trombonist and has worked with Ran for a long time, associate-produced the CC tribute, and co-produced this release with Art Lange (who's worked on many wonderful HatHut sessions). It was recorded at NEC's legendary Jordan Hall and the production has that bygone, big room space and depth. This is a special recording.

years ago somebody gave me Ran Blake's phone number so I called him up and asked him to record with me. He turned me down, was very polite, but also upset that I had his phone. Apparently, from what I was told, he immediately changed it.

So I feel personally responsible for his increased isolation.

You can also get the second volume of Ran & Christine Correa's Abbey Lincoln tribute through the website. The first volume was tremendous.

Have Round About by that duo...still not sure if Ms.Correa is ever gonna work for me...and, when I like them at all, I like singers.

I have neither...will take care of that at some point. I'm a casual but firmly ongoing Ran Blake obsessive, if that makes any sense...not somebody I listen to a whole jumbo lot, but somebody about whom I'm generally thinking about/hearing in my head in some form or fashion a whole helluva lot of the time. His mind, his process, his...outcomes, that's some of the few things where it never seems to be wrong, ya' know? Just, never wrong, and you can't find the wrong in it, it's not there. Christine Correa, on Round About, wrong. Ran Blake on Round About, not wrong. Never wrong, Ran Blake. Never.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...