Lance Armstrong

I've really started to enjoy cycling over the past few years - both from a recreational standpoint, but also watching professional cycling on TV. I even went to see last year's Grand Prix Cyclistes de Montreal. Good times!

But the longer I've enjoyed cycling, the more I've come to believe that Lance could not possibly have been clean. Today, the USADA leveled charges against Armstrong:

Velonews- USADA levels charges against Armstrong

Edited by Ed Swinnich

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm headed the other way. Cycling was once my life (and livelihood). It got "dirty" enough that I quit and haven't looked back. I'm genuinely baffled why I peeked into this thread; probably the same reason I can't resist poking at wounds. :shrug[1]:

I quit liking cycling right after the French started in on Armstrong.

Then, when people were being DQ'd for things like cold medicine, I was done.

The Feds already dropped any charges and now the USADA wants to rehash it all over again? The [now] 16 year-old evidence has been discredited and out right debunked.

These guys are ruining the sport with this pointless harangue.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I'm headed the other way. Cycling was once my life (and livelihood). It got "dirty" enough that I quit and haven't looked back. I'm genuinely baffled why I peeked into this thread; probably the same reason I can't resist poking at wounds. :shrug[1]:

As a relative newcomer to the sport, I hear claims of how the sport has been trying to clean itself up. Maybe it will take me awhile to figure out what's going on right now - as opposed to what happened in the past, and whether there's any difference at all.

I started watching professional cycling as an offshoot of the fact that recreational cycling became my primary source of physical activity/exercise the last few years. In my naivete, I marveled at how those guys could ride over distances and conditions that are unattainable to me. I want to believe that the sport is cleaner now, but I'm not sure - and that causes me distress. When I read attestations like yours, it troubles me even more.

I started watching the Tour de France a few years ago because of the scenery. I've enjoyed similar experiences now that I've been watching the spring classics, tours of California, Dauphine and Suisse. Maybe I should leave it at that.

I came within an inch or few of a 1980s doping scandal. Fortunately, there was little chance I'd get involved. I was so slow that all the doping in the world wouldn't have made me a contender.

Still, I raced for more than 30 seasons (amateur years included, obviously.)

Again, this is my naivete coming out. I watch the races that are available on US TV and marvel at the sites and scenery - the towns, the villages, the countryside - and I think of how cool that would be to ride through those areas. It just seems so beautiful.

I'm confused, I guess. I really enjoyed watching the Grand Prix de Cyclistes de Montreal last year. Great city, great circuit, lots of great riders. It seems so spectacular. But the doubt is there about who's clean and who's not. That doubt is driving me nuts. I just want a fair competition.

Or maybe I should just focus on the scenery

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Speaking of Montreal, for one of the great, modern United States bicycle racing stories, too often forgotten, Google "Montreal" "1976" "George Mount". Mount was a "big brother", hero and inspiration to me, both as a cyclist and as an iconoclast. THE American before LeMond...and Boyer and 7-Eleven.

Take all 7 Tour de France victories away from Lance.

WTF??

How would you like to be the #2 guy (probably retired now) and get told, congratulations you won!?

No matter how this turns out, everyone knows and remembers who wore the yellow jersey, who got all the props, the accolades, the fame and nobody remembers anyone other then 'the winner.'

Just like in other sports, chalk this one up to being part of the ***steroid era*** and move on dammit!

Edited by Mike Schwartz

As "despicable" as I find doping to be, I absolutely agree: let it go and worry about today...and, most importantly, the kids who will be tomorrow's peleton.

Exactly.

Let the past take care of itself; move on.

Edited by GoodSpeak

To me, there should be a statute of limitations on doping investigation.

16+ years have gone by.

Even the most despicable criminal gets a 7 year limitation on crimes other than murder.

This is ridiculous.

Damn straight. How many times has this guy been investigated/money wasted not even taking into consideration what Lance Armstrong has spent defending his name and nothing has turned up? Total friggin' waste of time if you ask me? :tdown

That this is going on and on is mainly due to Armstrong's obstination in denying the charges.

Wasn't it Armstrong himself who asked for an United States Anti-Doping Agency investigation? Now that the USADA has confirmed all the facts about his doping, he continues to refuse to face the facts.

And will continue - with his full team of lawyers - to search for 'all options'!

I have already read the next chapters in this saga...

Very boring!

I came within an inch or few of a 1980s doping scandal. Fortunately, there was little chance I'd get involved. I was so slow that all the doping in the world wouldn't have made me a contender.

Still, I raced for more than 30 seasons (amateur years included, obviously.)

BeBop - in your experience - what % of racers would you estimate doped up in both amateur and pro circuits?