Lance Armstrong

Times points out where Lance's titles would go if he was stripped of them (which I don't believe will happen but what do I know)

If Armstrong were to have his podium places redistributed, 15 of the 21 names on the podium would have had bans or serious doping connections. Some are repeated — Jan Ullrich, for instance, who finished second to Armstrong three times. Of the other six, Joseba Beloki and Santiago Botero were implicated in the Operation Puerto scandal but cleared. And Andreas Klöden paid a fine in Germany to have prosecutors end an investigation into his involvement in a blood-doping scandal.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This sport has been riddled with PED's for at least the last 20 years. The question has become not if someone is doping but whether they can get away with it. Seriously, does anyone really believe that Lance Armstrong was clean?

It doesn't surprise me that he's opted to fold his tent. I'm sure the legal costs are starting to take their toll and he's already milked just about every drop there is to be had out of his seven TDF titles. As to his legacy and his brand, he's become so iconic in so many different ways (cancer beater, Live Strong etc. etc.) that I don't think he takes much of a hit. Not to mention that fact that he knows he's guilty. This decision affords him the ability to maintain (at least in his mind) plausible deniability.

This sport has been riddled with PED's for at least the last 20 years. The question has become not if someone is doping but whether they can get away with it. Seriously, does anyone really believe that Lance Armstrong was clean? [Emphasis added]...

Does GoodSpeak follow cycling? :w

I'll refrain from saying anything about Armstrong, but have to ask: if he's stripped of his TdF wins, are there any second-place finishers (would-be replacement victors) who aren't tainted? What a sport. And to think it was once my life and livelihood.

According to NBC news, UCI will contest USADA, so it will go to CAS in Lausanne... and that could take up to a year...

I don't think anyone really takes the UCI seriously. Not with the amongst other things the bribes or "donations" by amongst others Armstrong himself.

The WADA already made it clear they back the USADA.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12586/WADA-backs-USADAs-jurisdiction-in-ArmstrongUSPS-doping-investigation.aspx

I'll refrain from saying anything about Armstrong, but have to ask: if he's stripped of his TdF wins, are there any second-place finishers (would-be replacement victors) who aren't tainted? What a sport. And to think it was once my life and livelihood.

They might have go down to 3-10th place finishers to find someone.

Edited by Blue Train

shrewd move. sponsors generally cut and run...... i'm not a bud drinker, but i'm going to buy a 40 ounce just for this reason.

Despite being banned for life from cycling & losing his seven Tour de France titles, Lance Armstrong still has support from beer maker Anheuser-Busch.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Here's just one example (from Yahoo! finance, so likely not totally accurate):

Armstrong will likely be stripped of his seven Tour de France titles, despite the fact that he passed every test given to him at that time. Fine. If it happens, the logical victor of the 2005 Tour is Cadel Evans. Evans finished 8th in the part of the race in which people actually pedaled, but the seven riders in front of him are all proven cheats. Congrats to Cadel.

shrewd move. sponsors generally cut and run...... i'm not a bud drinker, but i'm going to buy a 40 ounce just for this reason.

Despite being banned for life from cycling & losing his seven Tour de France titles, Lance Armstrong still has support from beer maker Anheuser-Busch.

I think that has to do with people not really caring at this point. As well as most everyone thinks he and everyone in competitive cycling is on or were on something....and it's really not that big of a sport in the U.S. The only time the majority paid attention is during the Tour de France and an American had a chance.

They officially banned him for life and vacated 14-years of his career.

What a mess!

I saw elsewhere where Jan Ulrich, whose career ended with a doping scandal,will receive three of the seven (former)Armstrong TDF wins.

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

If Lance Armstrong went to the podium in a yellow jersey 7 times at a famous bike race did anyone see him win?

If Reggie Bush hoists the Heisman Trophy, did he achieve anything on the field of play? (read recently that he recently/finally gave it back)

Did Penn State Football participate on the winning side of close to 200 games, prior to the well noted and ongoing scandal?

Aren't sports a great diversion from every day problems?

Edited by Mike Schwartz

They officially banned him for life and vacated 14-years of his career.

What a mess!

I saw elsewhere where Jan Ulrich, whose career ended with a doping scandal,will receive three of the seven (former)Armstrong TDF wins.

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

If Lance Armstrong went to the podium in a yellow jersey 7 times at a famous bike race did anyone see him win?

If Reggie Bush hoists the Heisman Trophy, did he achieve anything on the field of play? (read recently that he recently/finally gave it back)

Did Penn State Football participate on the winning side of close to 200 games, prior to the well noted and ongoing scandal?

Aren't sports a great diversion from every day problems?

amen, brother mike.

According to NBC news, UCI will contest USADA, so it will go to CAS in Lausanne... and that could take up to a year...

I don't think anyone really takes the UCI seriously. Not with the amongst other things the bribes or "donations" by amongst others Armstrong himself.

The WADA already made it clear they back the USADA.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12586/WADA-backs-USADAs-jurisdiction-in-ArmstrongUSPS-doping-investigation.aspx

And the cynic in me would say that the untainted 8th place finisher is only untainted because he had a whole lot less drug testing and subsequent review/second guessing.

Lance Armstrong seems to have been tipped off before tests, according to a French scientist, as reported in the newspaper Le Monde today.

Story in the Independent on Line!

No wonder he could claim he never failed a test!

Tipped off 500 times, with as little as 20 minutes notice? I find that harder to believe than him taking stuff in the first place. I'm with those above who just shrug it off as the "steroid era." I don't follow "pro bike riding" per se, but according to the news last night each of the second place finishers in the Tour de France in the years that Armstrong won have already been disqualified for doping.

I still think all-steroid competition would be loads of fun. ;)