Pharoah Sanders: In the Beginning 1963-64

colinmce

Rather than bury this in the thread about the ESP book, I thought I'd make a new thread for this release which I found linked on their site. This set is comprised of two unreleased sessions with Don Cherry and Paul Bley, Sanders' previously released ESP album and the complete recordings of Sun Ra at Judson Hall 1964 with Pharoah in tow. Also included are audio interviews.

Edited by colinmce

Rather than bury this in the thread about the ESP book, I thought I'd make a new thread for this release which I found linked on their site. This set is comprised of two unreleased sessions with Don Cherry and Paul Bley, Sanders' previously released ESP album and the complete recordings of Sun Ra at Judson Hall 1964 with Pharoah in tow. Also included are audio interviews. For $25 and change this is a no-brainer.

Please be more clear. The download is $25. The physical 4 cd set retails for $46.

I have the Cherry session and it's pretty interesting, which was supposedly an unreleased date for Savoy. IIRC, Pharoah plays more out on it than on his own ESP date. Anybody know the personnel of the Bley date, and was it an unreleased ESP session? The fact that two of the 3 titles appear on Barrage suggest that it might have been an abandoned Barrage session.

Edited by Pete C

Some interesting stuff. I've never been sure what to make of his ESP-Disk album, not sure if I can say I like it or not, even after almost four decades of familiarity with it. It is different from anything else he every did, and as previously noted by Pete C, not nearly as "far out" as I would have expected (though, given his grotesque excesses with Coltrane, that's not altogether a bad thing). 'Tauhid', his next album, the first on Impulse!, is also pretty strange listening. After that, he sort of dropped into a formula for a number of years, though I really like the formula. As far as the ESP-Disk, good to have anything with Jane Getz playing.

Personally I'm of the mind that Pharoah played best in other people's groups. I like him most with Coltrane and especially Don Cherry, so I'm excited to hear the Sun Ra stuff which is new to me. Honestly not a huge fan of his ESP session, and can live with about two of the formulaic Impulse! albums (Tauhid not withstanding ... a great, original record that). I like his playing on Art Davis' Life so I've always kind of meant to check out his 80s/90s small group stuff.

I have the Cherry session and it's pretty interesting, which was supposedly an unreleased date for Savoy. IIRC, Pharoah plays more out on it than on his own ESP date. Anybody know the personnel of the Bley date, and was it an unreleased ESP session? The fact that two of the 3 titles appear on Barrage suggest that it might have been an abandoned Barrage session.

The Bley is with Izenzon and Motian. Not sure if it was supposed to be an ESP or not - it was recorded by Jerry Newman in New York, same studio as the Cherry.

When did William Henderson start playing with Pharoah? He's a great foil, as his style has qualities of both Tyner and Lonnie Liston Smith to my ears.

First appearance together in Allmusic.com is on 1987's "A Prayer Before Dawn". I agree about them being a really good pairing.