Toshiba Japan Blue Note LT Series Reissues

etherbored

Just a quick note that Toshiba Japan is reissuing several (12-15?) Blue Note LT series titles, with original LT cover art, on disc for a reasonable ¥999 (really a continuance of the "Jazz 999" series) this September. Of course much of this material has been made available in the US but someone might find this interesting.

Check out forthcoming releases @ HMV.jp for details (along with a very special Keith Jarrett Belonging band performance in Tokyo from the ECM vaults).

NOTE: move to Reissues.....

Edited by etherbored

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick note that Toshiba Japan is reissuing several (12-15?) Blue Note LT series titles, with original LT cover art, on disc for a reasonable ¥999 (really a continuance of the "Jazz 999" series) this September. Of course much of this material has been made available in the US but someone might find this interesting.

Check out forthcoming releases @ HMV.jp for details (along with a very special Keith Jarrett Belonging band performance in Tokyo from the ECM vaults).

NOTE: move to Reissues.....

I never really like this art work.

As a matter on interest does anyone know whether the Bobby Hutcherson album "Natural Illusions" has ever been released on CD by anyone other than Applause? The sound on that release is terrible.

(Updated to include "on CD")

Edited by Head Man

As a matter on interest does anyone know whether the Bobby Hutcherson album "Natural Illusions" has ever been released by anyone other than Applause? The sound on that release is terrible.

'Natual Illusions' originally came out on BN vinyl (BN 4416)

Bobby-Hutcherson-Natural-Illusions-477913.jpg

I wonder how they'll sound? The latest Blue Note CD reissues from Japan haven't sounded all that great, with more compression and a bright EQ. If they do a decent job with these, I might try a few of them.

Kevin

I agree; to my ears most Toshiba releases since 2000 that I've heard sounded increasingly horrible, LOUD and harsh.

I wonder how they'll sound? The latest Blue Note CD reissues from Japan haven't sounded all that great, with more compression and a bright EQ. If they do a decent job with these, I might try a few of them.

Kevin

I agree; to my ears most Toshiba releases since 2000 that I've heard sounded increasingly horrible, LOUD and harsh.

Sadly true, but they are at least clear at lower volumes. Not many of these titles are new to CD...

Kevin

Sadly true, but they are at least clear at lower volumes. Not many of these titles are new to CD...

Harshness and the loss of dynamics are not undone by lower volumes.

Edited by J.A.W.

I've limited my Toshibas in recent years to those I simply couldn't source any other legitimate way. The few I have seem ok. Two recent Cannonball Adderley Toshibas struck me as being in very good sound ( Live ! and Accent on Africa) but then I've heard no other editions.

The Blue Note "Rainbow Series" cover art is some of the strangest I've ever seen. IDK if the series was trying to be ECM or Pete Turner ish in photo content but that LT series with the TV's on the cover of the Shorter is just weird. Weirder than his music :).

Edited by CJ Shearn

I've really enjoyed the series that Clunky mentions that includes the Cannonballs and many others that have not been released on cd before. They are a bit loud, but not so loud that I can't listen to them.

These are probably the only way these titles are going to be on cd in the near future. Too bad. The US reissue program was great while it lasted.

Interesting to see Donald Byrd's "The Creeper" being offered - for the first time on CD (outside of the Mosaic).

From 1967, with Pepper Adams and Sonny Red on the front line, and Chick Corea(!), Miroslav Vitous, and Mickey Roker in the rhythm section.

Even includes a couple of Chick's tunes, "Samba Yantra" and Chico San".

that LT series with the TV's on the cover of the Shorter is just weird.

Greatest non-Reid Miles BN cover ever.

shorte_wayn_etcetera%7E_102b.jpg

That and this:

51944.jpg

I remain steadfast in my unqualified admiration of the LT artwork. Every picture tells a story.

Interesting, sometimes eye catching covers on some of that series. Pressings were not up to that standard.

Edited by paul secor

The template was a budgetary concern, of that I have no illusions. But the choice of photographs? Evocative, yes, definitely...

034513.jpg

Dead end, night, sinister looking bigass blackcat head, nobody's looking except that evil thing, go ahead and do whatever it is you're gonna do...whatever that is...

I imagine everyone here has this one already, but just in case anyone doesn't...

Lee Morgan's "Infinity" is an absolute monster of a session -- maybe my very favorite Lee Morgan leader-date, and IMHO the best of his numerous pairings with Jackie McLean. Not to be missed, especially since copies of the OOP Conn issue of this date seem to run about $40-$45 these days.

Hopefully they go back to the sessio tapes for these reissues of the LT series - those that I had sounded considerably better when remastered for Blue Connoisseur CDs and the like.

Some of these contained leftovers from several sessions - the Japanese revive the scattered release patterns ... I'm glad that I have all of the music I'm interested in.

The template was a budgetary concern, of that I have no illusions. But the choice of photographs? Evocative, yes, definitely...

034513.jpg

Dead end, night, sinister looking bigass blackcat head, nobody's looking except that evil thing, go ahead and do whatever it is you're gonna do...whatever that is...

I'm sorry, but that cover just looks cheesy. Sort of reminds me of an evil Felix the Cat.

034513.jpg

I'm sorry, but that cover just looks cheesy.

I agree :tdown