Toshiba Japan Blue Note LT Series Reissues

etherbored

i have all the turrentine lt series reissues and, take it for what it's worth, but the duplicate material sounds far worse than 'bluish bag'. however, i make no apologies for tending towards a clear (some say bright) sound. the lt series, and i have about 15 of them, sound uniformly muffled. fortunately i don't suffer from any sort of fatigue when hearing clarity of recorded sound.

Edited by etherbored

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hank Mobley- Third Season (TOCJ-50296) from this series includes a previously-unreleased alternate take of "Don't Cry, Just Sigh."

Michael Cuscuna writes in "Notes For The 2012 Version" for the TOCJ-50296 booklet:

A previously unissued alternate take of "Don't Cry, Just Sigh" is added the the album. Taken at a slightly brighter tempo and recorded immediately before the master take, it was being considered as the master according to Alfred Lion's production notes, but he then decided the last take was the best. And based on Mobley's solos, he's right.

Michael Cuscuna

- end quote -

Can anyone confirm if any other titles from the TOCJ-50200 CD series include previously unreleased tracks?

Thanks,

John

Vancouver BC

John, I have the entire series, can't remember if there are any other unreleased alternates in the series. . . Don't think so.

Thanks Lon.

I first saw mention of this previously-unreleased Mobley track in an October 13 2013 post hidden away in the following thread:

I thought it would be good to put a mention here in this "LT series" thread so more people can track down TOCJ-50296 before it gets hard to find/expensive.

Edited by jdw

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked up Mobley's "Third Season" and was a bit disappointed to hear that this release still has those weird sounding cymbal crashes. The best description I can come up with is "phasey" - like the phase of the sound is changing throughout the note. It's just not right and I have always thought that it was why this session sat in the can for so long. I was hoping that this new remaster would fix this a bit.