Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbandrecord

Don Cherry Brown Rice!!!

24 posts in this topic

Want to know how many times this has been reissued on CD and what is that goofy looking insignia on the top right hand corner that says "jazz heritage" on it which I see on most product descriptions for this and which CD reissue is that on......is there a 2005 CD reissue? cause one of the jazz magazines critics polls had this on their best of 2005 reissues. Anyone bought this CD within the last 5 years? And if I order this now is it going to have that goofy looking isignia on it?

I know that I'm sounding real dumb tonight, but I just want to know what I'm getting as far as packaging is concerned.

Edited by bigbandrecord

This one? Maybe there was a Japanese reissue, but the one pictured is the only I know of. Didn't like that cover, kept my LP ...

51pNppJD61L._SS500_.jpg

Now this one has so much aura ... give me goosebumps.

Don_Cherry_20080517100942.jpg

I have the 1988 A & M CD, digitally mastered by John Snyder and RVG at Van Gelder studio. It's a nice gatefold digipack with the original cover.

I have the 1988 A & M CD, digitally mastered by John Snyder and RVG at Van Gelder studio. It's a nice gatefold digipack with the original cover.

So that means that the 2005 reissue has this lame jazz heritage insignia on it.....or I would assume......

Whatever the cover art, it's a decent album.

Am I the only one who likes this album a fair amount, but not to the degree that it's "cult classic" status suggests I should?

You are not alone.

The European issue, on EMI Italia, was a bit better looking...

R-2563669-1290685973.jpeg

Am I the only one who likes this album a fair amount, but not to the degree that it's "cult classic" status suggests I should?

I think of this album as "Malkaung" plus the rest. "Malkaung" gets under my skin in a way that the rest of the album doesn't.

Far from my favorite Don Cherry. Sold both the lp and the cd. Don't ask why I bought the cd if the lp hadn't done much for me. I have no idea.

Far from my favorite Don Cherry. Sold both the lp and the cd. Don't ask why I bought the cd if the lp hadn't done much for me. I have no idea.

As a paid up member of the Jazz Improvisor's Listening Fraternity you felt morally and psychologically obliged to purchase the cd 'because it was there'.

Either that or someone put you in a 'Vulcan mind meld'..."buy Brown Rice again...you know it's good for you".

Also my take on it.

Poorly printed photos give you goosebumps?

This probably could be done more professionally with modern digital editing techniques, but it carries the atmosphere of that music very well.

Sold both the lp and the cd. Don't ask why I bought the cd if the lp hadn't done much for me. I have no idea.

This is a question I've asked myself a thousand times :lol:

I am fan of this disc too.

I bought a vinyl copy around the time it came out. Only knew Cherry from Escalator OTH.

Never took to 'Brown Rice' - at the time it seemed to have more of what I was moving away from rather than what I was looking for. Will have to give the LP another play. I was so much older then.

Now this one has so much aura ... give me goosebumps.

Don_Cherry_20080517100942.jpg

My late-80s A&M CD has that cover. Time to dig it out from the catacombs - I'm a fan.

That Jazz Heritage version thing came out in 1989......the critic pick I was making reference to voted in his top 2005 Jazz Times reissues and it says that this Brown Rice is on Impulse...the critics name is Dave Segal. I couldn't confirm any versions of this being on Impulse so I wonder where he got that from or was it a mistake on his part.

That Jazz Heritage version thing came out in 1989......the critic pick I was making reference to voted in his top 2005 Jazz Times reissues and it says that this Brown Rice is on Impulse...the critics name is Dave Segal. I couldn't confirm any versions of this being on Impulse so I wonder where he got that from or was it a mistake on his part.

It came out as part of the A&M Jazz Horizon Series - what a great series that was! I am certain it was never released on Impulse!.

You are not alone.

The European issue, on EMI Italia, was a bit better looking...

R-2563669-1290685973.jpeg

Nice cover art....it matches his Relativity Suite album art:

328620248_f75b589238.jpg

Those Don Cherry album covers (there were several others) reproduced quilts creations by Moki Cherry, Don's wife.

Poorly printed photos give you goosebumps?

This probably could be done more professionally with modern digital editing techniques, but it carries the atmosphere of that music very well.

HELLO to everyone on this thread. Mike Weil was & is correct: the American cover is fantastic & though I hesitate to suggest this, it seems possible (probable?) the naysywers do not recognize what they are seeing. Now, like any artwork etc we can argue its specific qualities-- that angle, that use of available light, that printing etc-- but the fact this thread has gotten so far without specific comment only reaffims how apt-- how IMPORTANT-- using that photo was. Hint: ya'll can be certain Charles Mingus didn't need an explanation.

post-12518-0-07138300-1416081002_thumb.j

Edited by MomsMobley

Or Harold Land.

Just picked up a copy of the Universal LP reissue. It has the Watts Towers A&M Horizon cover art and a facsimile of the original A&M sleeve notes inside. Also facsimile of the labels. Sadly though, there’s a pressing defect on side 2 so it will be back for a replacement. :rmad: