Hank Marr

Yeah, I noticed the "MG Blues" quote too, which is in turn from JOS' solo on "I Cover the Waterfront" I think.

I haven't played vol 3 of Jimmy Smith's 'new sound, new star' albums nearly as much as the other volumes, so that solo on I water the front cover passed me by. But I just went back to it. He doesn't make nearly as much of it as McGriff (and Marr) did, but it's there all right. (Well, of course it is!) Thanks, CJ.

MG

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

Hank Marr was the opening act at a Cannonball Adderley & Nancy Wilson concert in Cleveland  I went to back in the early ‘60’s. I never heard of the guy, knew nothing about him, I’m there for Cannonball (Charles Lloyd had just replaced Yusef Lateef). Anyway, turns out Marr is an organist, he had a quartet with Rusty Bryant and Wilber Longmire - they were the highlight of the show!  Marr apparently had a minor, regional “hit” - “Greasy Spoon” (it shows up now and then on compilations) - which a lot of the crowd was familiar with - they played that and maybe 4 or 5 more numbers, and made way for the main attraction. A tight group, wish they could have played more. Most of what I heard turned up on an LP called something like “Live at the Club 502,” on the King label, not exactly known for jazz. Marr’s group was easily the equal of the organ groups I heard back then, and, of course, Bryant and Longmire would make any group special.  Wish I could have caught them in a club.