Duke Ellington's "My People" complete released on Storyvil

The complete recording of Duke Ellington;s "My People" is a new CD released with all the original music on Storyville Records.

With the music that I composed and played on the original recording session in Chicago, Ill., 1963.

Rhythmically,

Juan Amalbert

a/k/a

Emmanuel Abdul-Rahim

http://www.storyvillerecords.com/default.aspx?tabID=2633&productId=27314&state_2838=2

Duke Ellington: My People

Cat No#: 1018430 Series:

Format: CD

Artist: Duke Ellington

Price: €23.10

$24.70

£13.99

DKK155.20

Duke Ellington’s ‘My People’ opened in Chicago August 16, 1963. Duke Ellington did everything. He wrote the music, the words, directed it and did the orchestrations. There were not enough money involved to hire Duke Ellington’s orchestra. Instead they hired a 16 piece orchestra with Jimmy Jones as the pianist. A recording of the show was made on August 20, 21 and 28 supervised by Billy Strayhorn and Duke Ellington. The CD contains for the fi rst time the complete show. Duke Ellington in ’My People’ chose the strategy to emphasize the positive achievements of black people to America life, rather than protest against injustice. It had only one minute of social protest written into its script. ‘My People’ is not political. It has social signifi cance, but the accent will be on entertainment.

Contents:

1. Jungle Triangle #1*

2. Come Sunday

3. Will You Be There/99% Won't Do

4. Ain't But No One

5. David Danced

6. Heritage (My Mother, My Father, and Love)*

7. After Bird Jungle*

8. Montage

9. My People (Soap Box)

10. The Blues Ain't

11. Blues at Sundown*

12. Walking and Singing the Blues*

13. Working Blues

14. My Man Sends Me

15. Jail Blues

16. I Love My Lovin' Lover*

17. Jungle Triangle #2*

18. King Fit the Battle of Alabam

19. King*

20. Purple People*

21. What Color is Virtue

22. Purple People - Music*

23. Piano Blues Overture*

24. Strange Feeling*

25. Heritage (My Mother, My Father and Love)#2

* indicates a piece or take not on the original issue

"The musical number and their succession on this CD strictly follow the only known live recording of the show, as it was performed on the 25th of August 1963. This recording was found on a casette tape in Mercer Ellington's collection. The sound quality of the tape is very poor...the tape is invaluable to document how the show was performed. All numbers on the tape except two were also recorded in the studio during the three recording sessions in Chicago August 1963 the 20th, the 21st, and the 27th, so it has been possible to recreate the (almost) complete performance in great sound quality."

• 1 year later...

it seems that all sources -amazon reviews, storyville, and the above posts- are purposely(?) vague about the contents of this release.

the original lp is studio with strayhorn on piano, and duke sidemen.

i still can't figure out if this new cd is supposed to be the studio lp with studio bonus tracks, or a live performance (no duke/no strayhorn/no duke sidemen) with some studio filler for missing portions.

conflicting statements in the above posts.

either way, duke's not on it.

yes, all studio. basically the original lp with bonus tracks, put into a 'correct' sequence order.

whoever wrote the description on the storyville site must have been drunk.

details of the studio dates are in the attachment below.

thanks

my people as actually performed on-stage
here assembled from various studio recordings

post-136-0-56051400-1390573204_thumb.jpg

Edited by l p