Obscure Joe Henderson Cameo From 1980

JSngry

Some deservedly* obscure Joe Henderson is on the first track (Bessie's Blues) of this one from one of his students: http://fervidjazz.com/glen-simpson-live-cd.html . Found on Spotify.

(*I say deservedly because while Joe of course plays great, this is very much a "semipro" record at best, and the drummer is particularly cringe-inducing.)

Edited by Big Wheel

Some deservedly* obscure Joe Henderson is on the first track (Bessie's Blues) of this one from one of his students: http://fervidjazz.com/glen-simpson-live-cd.html . Found on Spotify.

(*I say deservedly because while Joe of course plays great, this is very much a "semipro" record at best, and the drummer is particularly cringe-inducing.)

That one is not on Jeffrey Lovell's Joe Henderson Discography.

Good find!

Joe's on this entire album, Babatunde Olatunji's "Soul Makossa".

Not a ton of solo-space for Joe, per se (lots of really short solos, but no lengthy ones as best I recall), but his playing is out front in the mix on practically every track.

Really a fun date! Here's a couple tracks...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know this little appoximately 4-minute obscurity?? (It appears that Joe and Woody are only on this one track, source.)

Date: September 1970?

Label: Los Angeles

John Wood (ldr), Joe Henderson (ts), Woody Shaw (t), John Wood (ep), Mark Drury (b), Lenny White (d), Anthony Waters (cga)

a. Guillermo's Ants

Los Angeles LP 12": LAPR-1008 - Nearer (1970)

Dates uncertain. From the personnel listed, it can be assumed that this session took place sometime in the fall of 1970, when Henderson formed his own group with Woody Shaw and Lenny White.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Joe recorded a four songs with a local pianist, Joe Gilman on his album Treasure Chest on Timeless. The rhythm section consists of Bob Hurst and Jeff "Tain" Watts. It's very good too though I may be biased as I've known Joe Gilman for almost thirty years and I've heard him play many, many times. He has been playing with Bobby Hutcherson for the last few years in between teaching and heading a music program at a local college.

Edited by six string

• 6 years later...
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2012 at 8:03 PM, DMP said:

And, speaking of obscure Henderson, he appears on a 1963 Antonio Diaz date (on Audio Fidelity, the home of Walt Dickerson and the Dukes of Dixieland) - anyone familiar with this? Can't remember ever seeing this one.

Bump!  Cuz I've sure never heard of this date, to the best of my knowledge.  Here 'tis from Discogs...

https://www.discogs.com/Antonio-Chocolate-Diaz-Mena-Eso-Es-Latin-Jazz-Man/release/4240210

"Joseph Henderson" only SOLOS on one short track, but supposedly he plays on the entire album in the ensemble.

Edited by Rooster_Ties