Donald Byrd - Ethiopian Knights

Rooster_Ties

For years, I'd find various Donald Byrd BN dates from the 70's on CD in the used bins, and every time I went to sample them - I ran for the hills like my life depended on it. I've got everything up through "Kofi" (and think "Kofi", "Electric Byrd", and "Fancy Free" are all pretty solid). And I thought I had all the Byrd leader-dates I ever needed. But my question is...

What's up with Ethiopian Knights?? I thought this was a Mizell production, but my on-line poking around today seems to indicate otherwise. I just found the whole album uploaded to Youtube, and am mostly diggin' it (at least the groove, which is solid as a heart attack). It ain't mind-blowing as far as the soloing, but if this were on any label other than Blue Note, and by some random unknown trumpeter -- I'd say this date would pretty much exceed expectations, and be considered a fairly solid, if maybe flawed date. (But being on BN, and being Byrd - expectations are completely different, I'll grant everyone that.) It's that groove that's got me hooked, and makes up for the soloists maybe not bringing their 'A' game.

Wholly apart from Byrd's and BN's legacy, what do people think of this one? Pretend it isn't Byrd, and isn't on BN... Worth it? Or not? For instance, until today I had no idea Harold Land and Bobby Hutcherson were both on this date. That's gotta count for something?

The two long tracks have me tempted (Youtube clips below), even if I can't stand the ballad (which, thankfully, is pretty short - the same Youtube user has it uploaded too, if anyone really wants to hear it). Thoughts??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVuIpl_0fyg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jdwbkqm88U

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I like it OK. Way better than the Mizell dates, which I couldn't stand then and can't stand now. Not earthshaking. If you like the ones that came right before it that you mentioned, you should like this one fine.

I like it OK. Way better than the Mizell dates, which I couldn't stand then and can't stand now. Not earthshaking. If you like the ones that came right before it that you mentioned, you should like this one fine.

FWIW, those were produced by Duke Pearson. this one was produced by George Butler, subsequent ones by, as noted, the Mizell brothers.

So it's a "transitional" album, I think, not just musically, but in terms of Blue Note's direction.

I think Duke Pearson did it right. Those other guys, not so much.

I'll invoke the F word regarding this album. Fun.

Admittedly, I'm one of the few who enjoys this period of Byrd and Blue Note. Not more than the classic period, but on its own. I think a lot of this stuff is fun to listen to. Love the Rare Grooves!

FWIW, those were produced by Duke Pearson. this one was produced by George Butler, subsequent ones by, as noted, the Mizell brothers.

So it's a "transitional" album, I think, not just musically, but in terms of Blue Note's direction.

I think Duke Pearson did it right. Those other guys, not so much.

Agreed on all points. This one was starting down the slippery slope, but the Mizell Bros. stuff was jumping off the cliff. This one sells cheap enough (<$5 on Amazon Marketplace) that I still think it's worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just listened to both of the long, trippy clips from Youtube - and am gonna pull the trigger on this one.

As I mentioned before, if this had been on any other label and by any lesser-known leader, I think it would be better though of (or the glass is definitely half full, even if you want to insist it's half empty).

• 3 weeks later...