Incredible Dexter Quote

Michael Weiss

Do you mean first improvised chorus after the melody (Orinithology quote) or tail end of first solo chorus into second solo chorus (What Am I Here For?)? Then, later on he quotes some circus ditty, then Rain Check.

Dexter quoted up the wazoo, too much for my taste. I don't get what's incredible in this case. He seemed to like to interpolate Here Comes the Bride indescriminately.

Edit: this refers to the Prestige recording. I now realize that the performance in question is probably different.

Edited by Pete C

Good one! He must've been checking out this RRK performance.

Or he was inspired by the hipness of his own vest.

Or he was inspired by the hipness of Thad's dashiki.

Or he was inspired by the uber-hipness of having an invisible big band backing him up.

So much goodness in that clip. Is there more? What's the deal?

Oh, I can't get YouTube at work, so I listened to the Prestige recording, not realizing he may have performed it live. Ignore my comment above if this is a different performance.

Edited by Pete C

It is a different performance. Check it out when you have YouTube access. Yeah, LTD plays lots a quotes, but this one is really good. What sets it a apart, to my ears, is the fact that it (sort of) works over a few bars, as the chords of the blues change. But it's a pop tune that is nowhere near a blues. Really imaginative musical hearing on Dexter's part, even if it was premeditated.

I remember reading an interview with Sonny Rollins (also a frequent quoter) about quoting. Sonny said that he typically does not consciously start a quote. Rather, he is just improvising a line, and a few notes into the phrase he realizes, "Hey, that sounds like the first few notes of..." and he feels that if his musical ear has led him there, he might as well finish the idea.

1340381181' post='1205021']

Like it. Not the only time I've heard him quote that tune, though.

Do you remember on which tune/performance he used it?

Normally you'd embed a youtube video by just posting the url, rather than embed code. However, your link had an extension after the video number that the board didn't seem to take, so I truncated the URL to get the original video URL only.

Edited by Pete C