Freddie and Wayne

Mark Stryker

This is tantalizing: In this new-to-me interview with Freddie Hubbard he is asked about Wayne Shorter and says that he and Wayne had a quartet that played for a year and a half in Brooklyn with Tom Williams and Pete LaRoca. Anybody know of any tapes or witness accounts of this group -- repertoire, sound, etc.? Freddie may say the name of the club, but I can't quite make it out in the interview. The section about Wayne starts around the 4:50 mark.

Edited by Mark Stryker

Freddie may say the name of the club, but I can't quite make it out in the interview.

To my ears, when Freddie starts talking about the club the interviewer chimes in and says "all stars"--but hard to tell if he was naming the club or commenting on the musicians.

Freddie may say the name of the club, but I can't quite make it out in the interview.

To my ears, when Freddie starts talking about the club the interviewer chimes in and says "all stars"--but hard to tell if he was naming the club or commenting on the musicians.

Mark....I believe he says it was Turbo Village...The club was in Brooklyn. It is also referenced here turbo village

another reference.....

The Continental had come and gone too, their best years were in the 50s. Tony’s was there, but the PCC had closed and changed ownership. Rusty’s Turbo Village had regular music. You had a lot of bars [in Brooklyn] and every now and then they’d have somebody there: Berry Brothers, Tip Top, Monaco…

more..............

As the summer of 1959 drew to a close, 19-year-old Butch Warren heads to NYC by train with his German upright bass in tow. The experience of performing with so many Jazz greats would only last six years, but the legend of how he got there is now a part of Jazz history.

That year, at one of Washington DC's premier Jazz clubs, the Bohemian Caverns, Warren made an important musical connection. Kenny Dorham's group were waiting on the bass player, so Butch asked if he could sit in. Dorham replied, "Baby, if you can fill this gig, you can make it!"

Butch then spends his 20th birthday playing a six-month engagement with Dorham's quintet at a Brooklyn club called the "Turbo Village." The Quintet featured Steve Kuhn on piano, Charles Davis on baritone sax, and drummer Buddy Enlow, from whom Butch was renting a room.

"Kenny played a lot of up tempos, fast songs,” Warren Recalls. “You had to have your chops to work with them."

Steve Kuhn mentions it .....

I really was reluctant to come to New York. I was intimidated by the whole thing, but I really felt this was something I had to do. My father, bless him, from Boston, where I was living, drove me to New York and checked me into the Bryant Hotel on 54th and Broadway. I proceeded to call everybody I had known prior�people I�d met while I was a student at Harvard and at high school in the Boston area, and also the different people I had met at Lenox just a few weeks before. As it turns out, one of them was Kenny Dorham, and he needed a piano player, so he hired me maybe two or three weeks after I got to the city. We worked in a club in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn, called the Turbo Village, which was a funky-ass club with an upright piano�but I was delighted. I was completely happy about that. It was a quintet with Charles Davis, playing baritone at that time; Kenny; the bassist was Butch Warren, who is an extraordinarily gifted bassist who has had some issues over the years; and the drummer was Buddy Enlow, who I believe has passed.

Edited by Morganized

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it was Turbo Village. Freddie told me about this place many times.

He said he and Wayne tried to get a gig everywhere and this was the only place that would hire them.

They were given Monday nights. He said they were so happy that someone finally gave then a gig.

Freddie said it was a dump (and I guess at the beginning had no piano)...as he put it, there were peanut shells all over the floor.....

I guess it was early in their careers but imagine these guys having such a hard time securing a gig anywhere.....

Also, ironically....the guy interviewing Freddie in the above clip has been, how do I say it....a bit troubling to the estate. I can't get into it of course and it's not a big deal but he did try some shit. I actually thought there would be a lot of this sort of thing after Freddie passed but there were only a few......

Edited by david weiss