Spectrum Road with Vernon Reid, Jack Bruce, John Medeski, Cindy Blackm

robertoart

Jack is one of my all time favorite musicians. Extremely varied in his musical output. Besides his eclectic catalog of solo albums, he's played with a wide variety of artists such as Tony Williams, Carla Bley, Kip Hanrahan, Zappa, and John McLaughlin.

I saw him playing acoustic stand-up bass with the Mike Gibbs band once.

Well...........there ya go. My point exactly! :cool:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit - that 'Jazzwise' 2 star review that Roger mentioned has put me off. Maybe I need to sample this one.

Quite a bit of Bruce on double bass during the Cream/pre-Cream years. Mike Taylor 'Trio' comes to mind (where he doubles with Ron Rubin).

Edited by sidewinder

Bruce played acoustic on Things We Like and some other albums recorded during his cream years (Graham Bond? or Dick Heckstall-Smith?) - I always thought he was one of the most versatile and substantial Britisch musicians of his generation. Check out the independence between his singing and his bass lines on the Cream recordings - incredible!

Bruce played acoustic on Things We Like and some other albums recorded during his cream years (Graham Bond? or Dick Heckstall-Smith?) - I always thought he was one of the most versatile and substantial Britisch musicians of his generation. Check out the independence between his singing and his bass lines on the Cream recordings - incredible!

That would be true if only he was British!

... darned typos ... at least, a funny one, and typically Germon ... ^_^

Misspelling aside, he is SCOTTISH, and therefore CANNOT be one of the most important British musicians.

As Scotland (at least at the moment) is part of Great Britain I am not quite sure what you mean.

Misspelling aside, he is SCOTTISH, and therefore CANNOT be one of the most important British musicians.

As Scotland (at least at the moment) is part of Great Britain I am not quite sure what you mean.

It's gotten old already at this point, but, fwiw, is being Scottish the same as being British?

It's gotten old already at this point, but, fwiw, is being Scottish the same as being British?

No less than being English or Welsh, but clearly not the same, as the component parts of Great Britain have their own historical identities. It would be incorrect to assume English and British are synonyms.

Being a Lubavitcher or Satmar Hasid is not the same as being Jewish, but all Hasidim are also Jews. I am also a Jew according to Jewish law even though I'm an atheist.

But you do seem to enjoy "correcting" people with incorrect information.

Edited by Pete C

No less than being English or Welsh, but clearly not the same, as the component parts of Great Britain have their own historical identities. It would be incorrect to assume English and British are synonyms.

Being a Lubavitcher or Satmar Hasid is not the same as being Jewish, but all Hasidim are also Jews. I am also a Jew according to Jewish law even though I'm an atheist.

But you do seem to enjoy "correcting" people with incorrect information.

The same as you seem to enjoy correcting my (in your eyes) incorrect correcting!

As you pointed out, each country within the United Kingdom has its own cultural and historical identity. As such, Jack Bruce would no sooner call himself British or English (staying with your love of semantics) than Tubby Hayes or John Surman would call themselves Irish or Scottish.

That would be tantamount to me calling myself a Californian.

I respect your right to be wrong, but I don't respect your aptitude for logic.

If you were a Californian, a New Yorker or a Floridian, you would also be an American (at least assuming citizenship).

If I am told somebody is British, I have no way of knowing whether they hail from Cardiff, Glasgow or Manchester (etc.), without further information, but if I know where they're from, I can infer that they're all British.

Your analogy doesn't hold water. Where did you fish the red herring about Tubby Hayes and John Surman?

But that shouldn't stop you from keeping on trying...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_people

Edited by Pete C

I respect your right to be wrong, but I don't respect your aptitude for logic.

If you were a Californian, a New Yorker or a Floridian, you would also be an American (at least assuming citizenship).

If I am told somebody is British, I have no way of knowing whether they hail from Cardiff, Glasgow or Manchester (etc.), without further information, but if I know where they're from, I can infer that they're all British.

Your analogy doesn't hold water. Where did you fish the red herring about Tubby Hayes and John Surman?

But that shouldn't stop you from keeping on trying...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_people

I'm not doing this with you anymore. I'm a New Yorker too so I know where YOU'RE coming from. If you want to continue this, send a pm.

Btw, wiki has never been considered a trusted source.

This conversation is just a LITTLE off topic. :o

There's a first time for everything!

I have no wish to flog a dead horse but no, it is not the same. Britain consists of England, Scotland and Wales and thus Jack Bruce is both Scottish and British in the same way that I am both English and British. We are both citizens of 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'.

I have no wish to flog a dead horse but no, it is not the same. Britain consists of England, Scotland and Wales and thus Jack Bruce is both Scottish and British in the same way that I am both English and British. We are both citizens of 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'.

That's exactly the way I understand it!

So did you know Vernon Reid's family is from Haiti and he lived in England for a while when he was a kid?

And it seems a lot of people have some good things to say about this band :tup

I think his family is from Jamaica, and he also lived in Flatbush(Brooklyn) for awhile. He played very well when I saw Spectrum Road on 6/29.