Stupidest Comedy Movie Ever...

The Royal Tennenbaums is a favorite,

I hate the 2 Wes Anderson movies I've seen (that one & Life Aquatic)

Wow. I thought The Life Aquatic and The Darjeeling Express were excellent movies.

Not because of Bill Murray, but the writing and the "tone."

i also really liked Darjeeling, Tennenbaums, and to a lesser extent Aquatic. Rushmore is an all-time favorite of mine. just totally forever classic and beautiful. but i can understand not being a Wes Anderson "fan." he's somewhat hyper-stylized and extremely idiosyncratic so it's kind of a "love it or hate it" situation w/ him i guess. kinda like Baz Lurmann. over the top, ya know? but i definitely count myself as an Anderson fan. big time. i'll be seeing Moonrise Kingdom within the next week or so :tup:excited:

now Groundhog Day... that's another matter entirely...

Edited by thedwork

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found Funny People to be interesting, if not necessarily "good". Every comedian (aspiring or otherwise) I've known has been pretty dark (and not necessarily in a funny way) when not on, and this one played to that.

Funny People had the benefit of the very hot hand of Judd Apatow who is easily one of the most inspired comedy directors in recent memory (along with Wes Anderson). I attribute its success more to that than Sandler.

Even so, I found it overly long. Could have used some editing, but Apatow was too powerful to edit. Too bad.

Roger Ebert:

Groundhog Day is a film that finds its note and purpose so precisely that its genius may not be immediately noticeable. It unfolds so inevitably, is so entertaining, so apparently effortless, that you have to stand back and slap yourself before you see how good it really is.

Certainly I underrated it in my original review; I enjoyed it so easily that I was seduced into cheerful moderation. But there are a few films, and this is one of them, that burrow into our memories and become reference points. When you find yourself needing the phrase This is like "Groundhog Day" to explain how you feel, a movie has accomplished something.

and the incomparable Anthony Lane:

Why is Groundhog Day so peculiarly satisfying? Harold Ramis's direction is nothing special, yet there is a beautiful, lip-smacking efficiency in the way that a great idea is touched off and followed to its conclusion. One question dogs it every step of the way: is this heaven or hell? Given Phil's chance, would we whittle our life to perfection, or turn crazy on the treadmill? The film is haunted by boredom, not least by the fact that Phil can never die of it. But he didn't exactly lead a firecracker existence beforehand, and one could argue that Phil stands for all the weary, work-scuffed heroes of cinema; the Chaplin of Modern Times, arms still tightening an invisible nut from hours on the assembly-line, would know just how he felt. Phil could only be played by Bill Murray, of course, our highest judge of the quick and the deadpan. From Stripes to Ghostbusters, the expression on that flat disc of a face has said, 'This isn't happening to me'. Well, now it really isn't. Nothing is happening to him, over and over again...

Groundhog Day may be scatty and fragmented, yet in some way the fragments revolve like a mobile. No other medium could have taken this daft plot and lent it such weird purity; Phil sees his life in the way that we watch a favourite film, returning with pleasure to its untouched state, yet noticing new pleasures every time...

Phil is like a director filming his own experience, brushing up old hat and getting it just right. You never want it to end, although for his sake you know that it must. Such blessed release was never granted to his distant cousins, the old grouch of Krapp's Last Tape or the Winnie of Happy Days. Beckett showed us a kind of sorry-go-round, a looptape of distress on which his characters stoically spun. It takes a major Hollywood studio to show us the other side of the coin, and come up with good silly reasons to seize the day. Some things never change.

The Royal Tennenbaums is a favorite,

I hate the 2 Wes Anderson movies I've seen (that one & Life Aquatic) about as much as I hate Groundhog Day.

In fact, I can't think of anything I've liked with Bill Murray post-SNL.

Lost In Translation and Broken Flowers?

The 'Lolita' scene in Broken Flowers is funny.

I like watching the characters he plays kind of drift through life while things just seem to 'happen' to him. Talk about nonchalant :D

Edited by freelancer

In fact, I can't think of anything I've liked with Bill Murray post-SNL.

Lost In Translation and Broken Flowers?

The 'Lolita' scene in Broken Flowers is funny.

I like watching the characters he plays kind of drift through life while things just seem to 'happen' to him. Talk about nonchalant :D

ok - i'll play:

Where The Buffalo Roam

Tootsie

Ghostbusters

Ed Wood

Groundhog Day

Kingpin!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GGt0T-gZ8Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG1T05cu0xA

Edited by thedwork

had to split up a long post into a few 'cuz i guess you can only have 2 "media files" in a single post.

continued:

Rushmore!!! (in my personal top 10 favorite films of all-time. for me, as close to perfect as any movie i've experienced. endlessly beautiful.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA8YbjyBQzI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA622OwgHCA

Edited by thedwork

continued:

and the Rushmore scene that had me laughing so hard the first time i saw it i actually physically hurt myself:

The Royal Tennenbaums

Broken Flowers

Get Low (good, not great)

Moonrise Kingdom (so excited... :excited: )

and this, as an example of just generally why i (and i dare say most of us) LOVE Bill Murray so:

Edited by thedwork

Flirting With Disaster, that's what I meant. He's kind of a one-trick pony-and I didn't care for it the 1st time he performed it. W/all the cross-talk I should clarify that I mean Ben Stiller. Maybe all these guys need their own thread? ('need' is overkill: I doubt they give a f what we think). Anyway what ever became of our hero broached here in OT times, Adam Sandler?

Can't say I've ever actually hated a movie though.

i'm basically the same. disliked many. but truly, deeply hated? only one: A Hole In My Heart. my short review:

The most relentlessly nihilistic, intentionally disturbing wannabe art-house vomit ever made. So totally devoid of humanity it should be erased from history. The impression is that the film was intentionally made to worsen the viewer's life to somehow even the playing field of all human existence out of some sort of morally relativistic sense of justice. It doesn't. Whether the film-maker had this intention or not makes no difference. The end result is inhumane garbage. The act of creating suffering or pain for another person doesn't guarantee any kind of revelation on the part of the one enduring the pain. I understand the value of shock. I understand our need for art to wake people up. I agree that our world is often relentlessly harsh. But no matter how noble the intentions, this film makes things worse. Shit on shit.