Stupidest Comedy Movie Ever...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...And this one nutty thread. And Adam Sandler is still MIA. Wait, I just saw him spat out of John Malkavich's head on the Jersey Turnpike next to John Cusack, an escapee from Rahway, and Elijah the chimp. And Don Rickles just declared through Bullets Durgham that he's now an insult puppeteer. I believe they're gonna hollow out Bob Newhart...

I might have approached Spinal Tap with my expectations too high. I had already watched A Mighty Wind and Best In Show beforehand and found it to be woefully unfunny in comparison.

BTW, Animal was hilarious to me when I first saw it, but I watched it again a few years ago and was shocked by how lame it now seems.

Every Which Way But Loose also falls into that category.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha. Chris is a tough room (;. Chevy Chase, BTW, has a bug up his ass with musicians. He played in a rock band as a young man and maybe that's what he wanted to do. He's always trying to get into the act, like when he MCed the Jazz Foundation's Great Night in Harlem fundraiser and ruined it w/shitty piano playing-w/great players in the wings yet. If anyone knows Joe Puma's caustic wit you'll like this: Puma and a bassist were working a very small restaurant. The bass player had to make a call and there was no room to put the bass down so he asked Joe to hold it. So who walks in on sword-mouth Puma standing w/a bass like an eqquine-faced Cyrano but our man Chevy. Being a smart-ass he tells Puma 'Oh! Bass player! Play me some LaFaro'. To which Puma immediately rejoined: 'Act me some Olivier'...

Carrey is the greatest physical comedian since Jerry Lewis-according to Lewis. Offstage he's coiled panther-like. Maybe he's annoying on talk shows-big ego, takes over. Like Robin Williams. But he IS an amazing talent. IMO the biggest mentioned here thus far.

Carrey is the greatest physical comedian since Jerry Lewis-according to Lewis. Offstage he's coiled panther-like. Maybe he's annoying on talk shows-big ego, takes over. Like Robin Williams. But he IS an amazing talent. IMO the biggest mentioned here thus far.

I never said Carey wasn't talented. Clearly, even though he's just updating Jonathan Winters, he has talent. In Living Color was a perfect vehicle for him in that you only got him in small doses. Over the course of a full-length movie, his over-the-top schtick quickly becomes tiresome.

I guess I have only seen Sandlers unfunny movies. "Comedians" who so obviously think of themselves as hilarious, usually aren't. To me, Sandler is right down there with Cosby and Chase.

You don't think Cosby is funny. Not even sometimes?

Not nearly often enough to warrant all the attention he received.

Someone mentioned Jerry Lewis—there's a guy whose humor totally escapes me. Ditto the Stooges, BTW.

The 3 Stooges NOT FUNNY?!! That's it. Gimme my beach ball. Dave, I think the most effective Carrey was Dumb and Dumber, where he and Jeff Daniels played off each other to perfection and each had his innings. I agree that high energy types like Carrey can be a bit much. They need the right material and people w/the balls to tell them when they've gone around the bend. But stars are surrounded by ass-lickers. And money is thrown at them: Carrey as Scrooge in a 3D cash-in of A Christmas Carol a few years back. Terrible remake, hard to say no to that kind of green.