Stupidest Comedy Movie Ever...

I just wasted $8.50 (faked being a senior to the girl at the booth-who looked 18, tops) on Adam Sandler's new turkey: That's My Boy. I'm a fan, esp. of the stuff w/Drew Barrymore. He's the goofball kid in everyone's class that wise-assed the teacher from the last row. But after this butterball and The Longest Yard remake he's got some 'spainin' to do. The arrested adolescent w/the potty mouth are wearing mighty thin. It was almost worth it trying to figure out the familiar face on the foul-mouth, cigar-chomping son's boss. I'll omit the answer in hopes that this thread might be more interesting than the movie. The first ten minutes w/Sandler's character as a kid had me roaring. Until the bad script and acting kicked in. C'mon Wedding Singer/Operaman. SNAP OUT OF IT!!!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't stand Sandler, the only movie I liked was "Punch Drunk Love" and that film's success was more the direction than Sandler. I don't find his brand of humor to be even remotely funny.

Well that's OK, I guess. I liked Anger Management-at least for about 40 minutes or so, before it spiraled out of control. I liked that he played against type as a milquetoast who rightfully goes off. And he showed a goofy sweetness m/Barrymore. Not sure what Spanglish was into. It seems, though, like he has a bit of range when he wants, but plays it safe as a producer/star to keep the moolah rolling in. That's OK, but that one character warmed over every movie is wearing thin.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you meant "Stupidest Comedy Movie Ever" in a good sense. For example, Dumb And Dumber is one of my favorite movies. Perhaps the problem with this Adam Sandler movie is it wasn't stupid enough.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you meant "Stupidest Comedy Movie Ever" in a good sense. For example, Dumb And Dumber is one of my favorite movies. Perhaps the problem with this Adam Sandler movie is it wasn't stupid enough.

Dumb & Dumber is stupid good. As is.....The Three Amigos!

Adam Sandler flicks, almost always not stupid good.

It seems, though, like he has a bit of range when he wants, but plays it safe as a producer/star to keep the moolah rolling in.

that's about right fasstrack.

however, Punch-Drunk Love is a masterpiece and for that piece of work alone he is someone i'm glad is around. there's no getting around it. Sandler was perfect for that and that is basically due to P.T. Anderson being a genius and writing for Sandler the way Ellington wrote for specific players in his orchestra. so even though it was almost entirely Anderson's vision that made that film what it is, you gotta give it up to Sandler for not letting him down and having that "je ne sais quoi" to begin with and for steppin' up when he got handed the script/job. he's said in interviews that he was scared and almost didn't go through with it because he knew how heavy Anderson was/is. Anderson illuminated in Sandler what others could only refer to as "je ne sais quoi" without being able to articulate it clearly. plus, Sandler brought something to the table there as well. it can't be denied. he has an interesting mix of innocence, shyness, lack of confidence, kindness, and a suppressed explosive rage that Anderson recognized, exploited, and ran with. can't say enough good things about Punch-Drunk Love. of course very much looking forward to The Master...

and you mention not knowing what Spanglish is on to. i'd say rent and watch it. you'll be glad you did. excellent dramedy. it's not Citizen Kane and it's not trying to be. but it takes that same interesting mix of Sandler characteristics i listed above and uses them well. plus, the rest of the cast is great, particularly the young woman who plays Sandler's daughter in the film. warm, funny, sad. plus it's by the guy who wrote and directed As Good As It Gets and Broadcast News. he knows how to cast a film correctly...

all that being said, yeah... most of Sandler's movie suck. oh well. it's pretty easy to tell which ones are the ones you can pass on without losing any sleep - like That's My Boy :w

Edited by thedwork

I found Funny People to be interesting, if not necessarily "good". Every comedian (aspiring or otherwise) I've known has been pretty dark (and not necessarily in a funny way) when not on, and this one played to that.

Overall though, hey, the guy's got his thing and is getting rich off of it and not off of me, so it's all good like that.

Zohan was amusing for its sort of twisted telling of Vidal Sassoon's actual bio. The portrayal of Israelis as one part Navy SEALs, one part Eurotrash is funny and does have a certain resonance if you grew up Jewish in America. Far from a good movie though.

Other than that Billy Madison is sort of a generational classic but I'm certainly not going to say your life is incomplete if you never see it. (Never seen Happy Gilmore.)

Edited by Big Wheel

He always gets the girl. And they always get the money. But in a way that lets them know it was never about the money. Kind of a consolation prize for the good guy. I have enjoyed some of the 'straight' roles of Sandler and Jim Carey though. Loved Man In The Moon and Punch Drunk Love when I saw them, at the time. I didn't know anything about Andy Kaufman until after seeing that movie.

Soul Station: Never got Will Ferell. I know he's popular. He's a machine of blandness to me. After I saw Anchorman it was so weak I didn't want to know any more about Judd Apatow-low-grade sophomorics. I liked the bit on SNL w/the 2 singing hack teachers. I know a guy just like them only worse. A SNL sketch who doesn't know it. I can't really blame guys like Ferell. A year on SNL and the vultures start circling. They probably pick the formulas while the star keeps his head down and plays ball. Everyone likes money and success-esp. if you are poor and suddenly it dangles in front of you. It's just that Sandler has more to work w/ IMO, all the more reason to shake my head at the easy way out he's taking now w/dreck like That's my Boy.

Personally, I think Ferrell has far more going for him than Sandler. I never really appreciated him until I saw his more dramatic work, especially "Stranger than Fiction" which is a brilliant little movie.

I liked Sandler on SNL, and I did like "Funny People," but that's about it.

I'll look into his serious, er, ouvre. The comedy to me is strained yet bland. I think Sandler looks funnier. He looks like a doofus, soft and wounded, lecherous, and wise-ass turning on a dime. His face is a gift. He was born to amuse. Ferrel's face to me is as bland as his characters. We agree to disagree...

The bland face is actually the key to Ferrell's genius. I hated him on SNL because the characters and scenarios he was in sucked and gave him nothing to work with. It was all just putting any old character in a scene that made the viewer feel personal embarrassment for the character. Whereas in his films there's plenty of time to construct an outrageous scenario and character and throw Ferrell's relatively deadpan face into them.

The bland face is actually the key to Ferrell's genius. I hated him on SNL because the characters and scenarios he was in sucked and gave him nothing to work with. It was all just putting any old character in a scene that made the viewer feel personal embarrassment for the character. Whereas in his films there's plenty of time to construct an outrageous scenario and character and throw Ferrell's relatively deadpan face into them.

As has been the case from the beginning with SNL, Ferrell probably wrote the sketches he appeared in. So what does this really say about his supposed comic aptitude, then?

It says that...he's not hysterically funny in every single thing he does? That he took a job even if he wasn't all that well suited for it, for the sake of being able to jump to bigger and better things?

Anyway, from what I can tell the more excruciating skits like the Spartans were created by the likes of Chris Kattan. The late 90s were particularly dark times for SNL. I see more of Ferrell's fingerprints in his better skits, like More Cowbell-who else would have come up with something as weird as re-enacting a Blue Oyster Cult recording session 20 years later?

Edited by Big Wheel

I guess it's time to break cover on the stars (mostly of yesteryear) with the bad judgement to appear in That's My Boy: James Caan, totally embarassing himself as and Irish priest. (What a shit accent). Susan Sarandon (at least she came and went in one scene), also her daughter as a slutty teacher. Tony Orlando-no commented needed. I didn't know Vanilla Ice's, ahem, work before. I sure wish it stayed that way. I hope they all got nice paychecks...

i'd say if you're thinking about watching Spanglish in its entirety, you should hold off on watching this scene here. but for folks who might just wanna a peak at something Sandler has done that is more "dramatic" and well done, this may be the best scene to check out. out of context you miss a little bit, but not much. his relationship w/ his wife informs his reaction to the apology he receives in this scene, and his reference to what has happened earlier w/ his own daughter are the two things that build to aspects of this scene. but an astute watcher will get the gist from the scene alone. it's well written and performed. the movie as a whole, while having a generally light tone, deals w/ some more serious issues in its own 'light' manner: parenthood, culture/language clashes, personal relationships (romantic and familial), class issues, etc... excellent film and here's maybe the best scene:

Just to be a contrarian and curmudgeon, I'd say the stupidest comedy movie ever is Groundhog Day. That is, assuming it is a comedy movie.

wow. i'm speechless...

As has been the case from the beginning with SNL, Ferrell probably wrote the sketches he appeared in.

really? that's how SNL has worked from the beginning? the players write their own material? i wasn't aware of that... :rolleyes::w

Edited by thedwork

Dumb And Dumber is one of my favorite movies.

'Gee, we were looking to hire some guys to apply suntan lotion to our young, supple bodies. would you 2 guys know of anyone like that?' (blank stares at each other, then Jim Carrey lights up to exclaim:) 'We don't-but there's a town 5 miles down the road. You should find someone there!'

Dumb And Dumber is one of my favorite movies.

'Gee, we were looking to hire some guys to apply suntan lotion to our young, supple bodies. would you 2 guys know of anyone like that?' (blank stares at each other, then Jim Carrey lights up to exclaim:) 'We don't-but there's a town 5 miles down the road. You should find someone there!'