Any Enrico Rava fans in here?

slide_advantage_redoux

Are there any fellow Enrico Rava fans in here? I have been checking out his releases ever since discovering him via his ECM quartet date with Roswell Rudd.

He has his range limitations true, but his tone and melodicism really reaches me. In some ways he reminds me of Miles.

At this point I have several CDs and LPs of his (and others on which he is a sideman) and am always on the prowl for additional ones I haven't yet heard.

One of my favorites is his Italian Ballads CD. Beautiful. I love the use of the accordian on this date.

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

51owl5qh0EL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have a fair few Rava records but I especially like this double trumpet line-up. I think it was where I first heard Bollani too.

Late 50s Miles tunes but played more like '64 era Miles.

He's great live...and very funny. In fact Bollani and Rava doing their duo thing live are a hoot.

I have a fair few Rava records but I especially like this double trumpet line-up. I think it was where I first heard Bollani too.

He's great live...and very funny. In fact Bollani and Rava doing their duo thing live are a hoot.

I was at that show.

The Black Saint/Soul Note box is a no brainer for any Rava fan who doesn't already own the material.

I love Rava. I first saw him ca. 1976 with Rudd & Hod O'Brien at the club they ran, St. James Infirmary. Sheila Jordan may have been there the same night.

I was at that show.

The Black Saint/Soul Note box is a no brainer for any Rava fan who doesn't already own the material.

I love Rava. I first saw him ca. 1976 with Rudd & Hod O'Brien at the club they ran, St. James Infirmary. Sheila Jordan may have been there the same night.

Okay, I am officially jealous!!

41gCxZPqepL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rava/Blake: Duo en Noir (betwen the lines)

One to check out if you don't already know it.

You know, even though I love both the artists, for some reason that one doesn't really work for me. Maybe I'm not often in the mood for something so moody and low key. I much prefer the duos with Bollani.

"Duo en noir" is... well, sublime! Really!

Wonderful album!

Some of the Black Saint box is great, the album with Rudd is mighty fine - but I'd wish for some more there... more, I don't know, freedom to blow, more meat, more... it's still very good and maybe my favorite next to the duo with Ran Blake.

I've not heard the one w/Fresu (whom I like quite some, too).

This is a favorite of mine too. I don't have a lot of Rava's music but everything I've bought I've liked. So far the list looks like this.

New York Days

Easy Living

The Words and The Days

The Pilgrimage (lp)

My favorite might be a toss up between NY Days and Easy Living. I'll watch this thread for other recomendations.

Been a fan of Rava ever since I heard him live in the late 60s (with Gato Barbieri, also with Michel Portal).

I agree with those who rate 'Duo en Noir' sublime! A very unique, intense and darkish album that starts with a sublime 'Nature Boy' and keeps on until the final track (There's a Small Hotel).

Been a fan of Rava ever since I heard him live in the late 60s (with Gato Barbieri, also with Michel Portal).

I posted this a couple of years ago on a Barbieri thread:

Something worth seeking, if one seeks such things, is an unissued recording from the 2002 Frankfurt Festival of "Complete Reunion" with Gato, Rava, Danilo Rea, Roberto Gatto and Rosario Bonaccorso.

What was the rest of the Portal/Rava band like? Just curious.

My memory is pretty vague about it. If I remember well, Henri Texier was on bass that evening. Concert was held after Portal was awarded the 1968 Prix Django Reinhardt!

I don't know what the original poster thinks about Globe Unity Orchestra, but Rava's participation in a 75 Baden-Baden concert which was part of the FMP In Retrospect box (the individual discs can be purchased separately) is outstanding and begins with a Rava song, Maranao.

I have several of the GUO releases, but not that one. I will be on the lookout.

Did he ever record and/or perform with Carla Bley's units? I am sure he ran into her on the GUO.

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

I don't know what the original poster thinks about Globe Unity Orchestra, but Rava's participation in a 75 Baden-Baden concert which was part of the FMP In Retrospect box (the individual discs can be purchased separately) is outstanding and begins with a Rava song, Maranao.

Did he ever record and/or perform with Carla Bley's units? I am sure he ran into her on the GUO.

He's listed on 'Escalator Over the Hill' but don't think in a major solo spot.

Just playing this lovely standards disc:

rava_enrico_renaissan_101b.jpg

Very much in that Miles/George Coleman band area.