• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

here's what I got on Nov 16

ICP Box Update

We are almost at the finish line! When you are reading this email, your reserved copy of the ICP box is being packed after which it will be shipped off to Han Bennink so he can personally mark it.

For those of you who are opting to pick-up the box we now have a date set. On Sunday 18 November, 15:00 hour, we will be handing out the first copies at the Bimhuis Café in Amsterdam. Please know this is the only occasion for you to pick up the box.

For those of you who cannot be present at the event, we expect to start shipping out boxes in the first week of December.

If you have any questions about the process, please email us at info@challenge.nl.

The ICP box team

Thanks for the answers. I did see that on facebook and got that email. I was wondering if there was anyone in Europe who had gotten theirs in the mail or in person. Pretty excited to see what extra stuff they dug up, especially from the 60's and 70's releases.

C

#20 just arrived:

ICPBX2012.jpg

Anyone else get their copy yet? The discs were a bit of a mess in the box, but they fit fairly well once straightened out. I'm still going to put them on a shelf, and store the box. Although I have owned most of the early vinyl for years, I'm looking forward to hearing some of the discs in the ICP 30-45 range, as I have not heard many of them. It is going to take awhile to work through them. It will be a blast.

This is a 2% box.

Unfortunately, the way the LP market is today, so are the "originals." My assumption is that the label is winding down and this was their way to "send off" and celebrate. I agree that selective and affordable reissues would have been a nice way to go, but that just might not be in the cards at this point. Curious to see what happens to the catalog once the box is gone.

My first post here, thank you for having me :)

I'm eagerly awaiting mine as well, I wish I could have picked it up.

Can you say how much unreleased music there is with Eric Dolphy?

As far as I can see Dolphy appears on one track only, Epistrophy at 17:52 on disc 016. I hope you didn't buy this in the expectation of hearing a lot of unreleased Eric Dolphy.

I got mine.

Number 651. I hope they did sell that many!

52 CDs

2 DVDs ( surprisingly the Afjin DVD isn't included, but then most everyone who ordered this probably has it already)

There is an unreleased cd in place of Afjin.

The discs and covers are all in fine shape, the flimsy cardboard divider is all ripped up. I'll do some repairs on that at some point.

The book has just loads of great photos.

The discography insert is a godsend as most if the individual CDs don't list contents.

This was an expensive set, but a relative bargain on a per cd basis (approx$10 each)

I had just sold some lps and CDs I didn't need anymore and was able to pay for it using that $$. I do feel good about that. I would have seriously regretted missing out on this. I can't wait to dig in!

C

#20 just arrived:

ICPBX2012.jpg

Anyone else get their copy yet? The discs were a bit of a mess in the box, but they fit fairly well once straightened out. I'm still going to put them on a shelf, and store the box. Although I have owned most of the early vinyl for years, I'm looking forward to hearing some of the discs in the ICP 30-45 range, as I have not heard many of them. It is going to take awhile to work through them. It will be a blast.

Yeah, I did the same thing - sold a couple of high-dollar LPs I wasn't all that excited about and bought this with the cash. Just got mine today as well and it looks like a pretty great/exhaustive set. I haven't checked to see if we'll be dealing with any needle-drops but so far the presentation appears top notch.

As far as I can see Dolphy appears on one track only, Epistrophy at 17:52 on disc 016. I hope you didn't buy this in the expectation of hearing a lot of unreleased Eric Dolphy.

I have several of the ICP releases, having more Dolphy would have just been a bonus. I didn't know if there was more music with Han Beninick than just The Last Date

I have several of the ICP releases, having more Dolphy would have just been a bonus. I didn't know if there was more music with Han Beninick than just The Last Date

Han Bennink is well represented.

Yeah, I did the same thing - sold a couple of high-dollar LPs I wasn't all that excited about and bought this with the cash. Just got mine today as well and it looks like a pretty great/exhaustive set. I haven't checked to see if we'll be dealing with any needle-drops but so far the presentation appears top notch.

I think you will be dealing with some some needle drops. I've been through about 10 discs.

This is a 2% box.

Unfortunately, the way the LP market is today, so are the "originals." My assumption is that the label is winding down and this was their way to "send off" and celebrate. I agree that selective and affordable reissues would have been a nice way to go, but that just might not be in the cards at this point. Curious to see what happens to the catalog once the box is gone.

U 2 kind.

Han Bennink is well represented.

I think you will be dealing with some some needle drops. I've been through about 10 discs.

As far as Dolphy-Bennink, nothing else has been released. I'll have to check my discography to see how many dates the quartet played - I think there are a couple in addition to the studio recording that resulted in the Fontana/Limelight LP.

Guess I shouldn't be too surprised about needle drops here and there. I have most of the early stuff on LP and the pressings on those are decent enough. Masters may be gone or in Breuker's archive, which may not be all that accessible since his passing - I don't know.

Very pleased to have picked this up. Made my way through 3 releases I didn't own and enjoyed the music very much.

Does anyone know what the lined piece of paper glued to the front of the box is? I see it on martini's picture and have one on mine as well.

Isn't it a bit of musical staff paper?

Very pleased to have picked this up. Made my way through 3 releases I didn't own and enjoyed the music very much.

Does anyone know what the lined piece of paper glued to the front of the box is? I see it on martini's picture and have one on mine as well.

Isn't it a bit of musical staff paper?

That makes sense. It looked like a piece of a note card to me...