ICP Box set

rostasi

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

has anyone contacted challenge records about this?

sent an email to Challenge today - see what they have to say

Other anomaly that I've detected

ICP CD 049 had a 12th "bonus" track (video of "Steigerpijp") that is not present on CD 049 in the box

just received a reply regarding 1) Misha DVD, 2) ICP 049 & 3) cassette 017

To answer your questions:

1. The broadcasting company who owns the rights to this dvd did not allow ICP or us to replicate this disc for the boxset. We felt we wanted to offer a replacement instead and came across these never before released recordings of the concert with ASKO.

2. ICP049 was an exact copy of an original CD provided to us. There is no knowledge of a 12th track with us or the people from ICP who worked on this box with us.

3. You are the second person to imply these cd's are the same. It could be that for the original casette the decision was made to have the same audio put on side B as well, but ICP could not (yet) confirm if this is correct.

Edited by romualdo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

If you're interested in this material but can't (like me) swing at this box, about 35 of the ICP releases are on emusic.

Now that might of interest -- if somebody recommended their favorite 3-5 recordings that are also on emusic.

I always liked the Monk/Herbie Nichols albums. And I have a soft spot for the barrell organ album.

• 1 year later...

I really wish the presentation had been better. Also some of the transfers are kind of crappy; the original LPs don't sound *that* bad and I guess they used some pretty battered copies with minimal restoration for this project.

The duplicate cassette performance of Misha/Han is annoying, as are the wrecked transfers of the cassette orchestra releases. And those cheap mini-LP sleeves are underwhelming. Great music but come on, it could have been done better.

I sold mine btw.