Rollins/Cherry Live Material Sought

I'd like to either a) buy someone's grey-market releases of the famed Rollins/Cherry live material or b) trade someone for some cdrs of this material. The one caveat about doing a cdr trade is that I personally don't like trading copies of cd artwork (I don't like taking my rare cds/Mosaic booklets out of the house, on the subway, etc.) If you can help out, please let me know.

• 4 years later...

I just managed to download a copy of Don and Sonny w/Henry Grimes and Billy Higgins playing in Paris. 1963. Can't wait to hear it!

Setlist:

Solitude

On Green Dolphin Street

Announcement By S. Rollins

Without A Song

Sonnymoon For Two

Everything Happens To Me

52nd Street Theme

Brownie, were you at this gig?

Guy

Brownie, were you at this gig?

Guy

Oui!!

The concert was at the Olympia theater. It was the second time I heard Rollins live. First one was with his trio (with Grimes and Pete LaRoca) at the Club Saint-Germain in 1958.

As much as I still love Rollins today, his playing at the time was at its zenith.

Know you'll love the music! In very good mono sound. Obviously 'borrowed' from the vaults at Europe 1 radio station, the radio that organized the concert.

It was first issued on the bootleg label Magnetic as 'Live in Paris '63'.

Another recording has "appeared":

Don Cherry: cornet; Sonny Rollins: tenor sax; Henry Grimes: bass (1-3); Bob Cranshaw: bass (4-6); Billy Higgins: drums.

1. Without a Song - (V.Youmans/E.Eliscu/B.Rose) - 10:15

2. 52nd Street Theme - (T.Monk) - 17:58

3. Valse Hot - (S.Rollins) - 6:50

4. The Star Spangled Banner - (J.S.Smith) - 1:09

5. Oleo - (S.Rollins) - 13:48

6. St. Thomas - (S.Rollins) - 2:22

Recorded: (1-3) January 17, 1963, Stockholm, Sweden; (4-6) August 7, 1962, NYC.

I'm having trouble keeping up with the great stuff recently put on that site. :crazy:

Slightly off topic but has anyone else checked out that German TV DVD of vintage clips of Armstrong, Monk, Duke, Davis, Adderley, Lateef etc. That one is fantastic.

As is that DVD with Jimmy Owens directing a band for German TV (SWF?) with Slide Hampton, Phil Woods, Lee Konitz, Joachim Kuhn etc.

Also some good Poppa Lou and Lonnie Smith on there recently too.

Edited by sidewinder