Wynton Kelly Hank Mobley "Interpretations"

riverrat

I have a double LP from VeeJay Japan of this. Have not heard this in a while but I recall a great 'Mobley solo in 'If You Could See Me Now' from the session which was recorded at the Left Bank Society in Baltimore. The six tracks add up to about 90 minutes. Wynton Kelly is in top form. Mobley shows he could still produce good solos even if the date is not one of his very, very best...

This was reissued on Fresh Sounds recently on a 2CD.

• 13 years later...
On 6.7.2017 at 2:13 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I was somewhat surprised at how much better the audio is on Kelly's 1967 Left Bank 2 CD set than it is on the 1968 2 CD set. The '67 material with Mobley sounds like a professional recording... at least it would if Hank would've stayed on mic. The '68 recording with Coleman sounds like a bootleg.

Wasn't the 1967 recording made for release on VeeJay? At least the Japanese double LP which was the first issue appeared with the VeeJay logo and all.

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Wasn't the 1967 recording made for release on VeeJay? At least the Japanese double LP which was the first issue appeared with the VeeJay logo and all.

I no longer have the original double but IIRC it did have the VeeJay logo.  Again if memory serves the sound wasn't too special.