Learning to repair and maintain?

A100East

Hello everyone -

I am wanting to learn about fixing and maintaining my instrument myself. There aren't any convenient and quality techs in my area (eastern Kentucky), so I would like to begin learning the basics. Does anyone know of sources for information?

Thanks!

Steve

This is organ stuff. Maybe one of the mods will move this to its proper place and maybe Jim will respond.

It's in the right place - see the top of the page: "organissimo jazz forums - The best jazz discussion forum on the web! > General Discussion > Hammond Zone > General Discussion"

Its all good! I am new, so I wasn't sure if this was the right place or not.

The best guy I have found in my area is in Cincinnati, which is just over 2 hours away. So, he is not really in my area. He is really good though. But it costs a lot just to get the guy to my house. If I could learn some of the basics I would be more confident that my instrument would be reliable and I would save a lot of money.

A whole lotta information on the A100 here:

http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/faq/a-100/a-100.html

This forum might help you out:

http://www.organforum.com/forums/forum.php

The Leslie 251 service manual is here:

http://www.captain-foldback.com/Leslie_sub/leslie_manuals.htm

Thanks jostber! I had not seen the A100 manual before. I will definitely study that page. Great links! I am a member on the organ forums, and they have been helpful. Do you know if there is also a step by step guide that helps diagnose and repair common issues? Something like a Haynes manual for cars maybe.

Thanks. I would study the manuals thouroughly first and the circuit diagrams to get to know the unit. Then define the problem you experience and write it down(no power, little bass, no treble and likewise). Then post your issue on diyaudio and the Organ forum defining what the issue is as specifically as possible. After getting some clues you can search on YouTube to see if there are any videos that are relevant to your problem, like changing a resistor, tubes and stuff. Getting a multimeter will be useful to measure and troubleshoot. There are videos on YouTube on how to use the multimeter for troubleshooting audio components.

Some precautions to take before starting:

Never work on the unit while it is connected. Be careful to never touch power supplies and capacitors. Let the unit be switched off for at least 6 hours before working on circuit boards and such. If there is no power in the unit take it to a professional technician to get it worked out.

First and foremost, if you don't know what you're doing then be extremely careful working on any gear that is based on vacuum tubes. You can kill yourself. I'm not exaggerating. The tube amplifiers and preamplifiers in an A100 are using full plate voltage at 400 volts DC. If you don't know what you're doing and touch the wrong thing, that amount of DC voltage can stop your heart. And the voltage is stored in the capacitors of those amps for several weeks even if the organ has not been turned on recently.

To learn about repair of the electronics, I would try to find someone in your area who knows about repairing guitar amps. The amps in the Hammond are not that much different than regular tube-based guitar amps.