Which Artists are you "re-discovering"?

Tim McG

I don't know if this has been covered, but my CD/LP/Cassette collection has become an unmanageable ameoba [moving very slowly, consuming everything in its path]...well, OK, I've just been too lazy to put stuff back into any kind of reasonable order.

As a result, I have titles by artists I completely forgot I owned....even a couple duplicates.

Today's find: Eastern Sounds by Yusef Lateef.

A few days ago I found Rejuvenation by Lonnie Liston Smith. I had forgotten how good that album is.

Any of you guys experience this phenomenon? If so, what artists have you re-discovered?

Edited by GoodSpeak

Not what you are looking for but...........

From the late '50s to the end of the lp era Toscanini was a huge part of my musical life. I also remember radio and tv broadcasts from the decade before that. After selling my vinyl I only purchased about 10 Toscanini cds. I wanted some more but finances restricted me. Now with the arrival of the huge RCA box I am transfixed. I may never listen to 70% of it again but the rest is just dandy.

After not listening to their music for several years, I've been going back to the Pat Metheny Group recently. I forgot how sort of rounded, soft, and whiny Mark Egan's bass was at that time. And how pleasant, crisp, floating and full was the sound of Lyle's piano. I was reminded that Bill Evans was an influence on Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays.

I suspect all of us who have amassed huge collections are perpetually rediscovering music buried within it. I have a habit of obsessing on an era or genre or musician and then moving on elsewhere. The obsession slips away. But then something triggers an interest again - a chance pulling from the shelf, hearing something on the radio, a post here - and off you go again.

My listening has always been like that - periods of obsession, shuffled by chance/random stumblings.

I have to be pretty systematic in my work life; music brings out the hippy in me.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I recently went through a cycle of rediscovery of many mid-50s thru mid 70s big bands for a month or two. It was fun.

I am curently trying to organize this musical mess and I figure I will find many more CDs I forgot I had.

I suspect all of us who have amassed huge collections are perpetually rediscovering music buried within it. I have a habit of obsessing on an era or genre or musician and then moving on elsewhere. The obsession slips away. But then something triggers an interest again - a chance pulling from the shelf, hearing something on the radio, a post here - and off you go again.

My listening has always been like that - periods of obsession, shuffled by chance/random stumblings.

I have to be pretty systematic in my work life; music brings out the hippy in me.

I'm with you on this one.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I've been checking out a lot of different artists that I've come to really enjoy. Gentle Giant, Camel, Nektar, Can, Gong, Lucifer's Friend, Curved Air, High Tide, Atomic Rooster, Ash Ra Tempel, Van Der Graff Generator, Rare Bird, Aphrodite's Child, Focus, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Strawbs, Clearlight, Henry Cow, Magma, McDonald & Giles, Message, Barclay James Harvest, Eloy...and others I'm probably forgetting at the moment.

Edited by Shawn

1341902020' post='1209734']

I've been checking out a lot of different artists that I've come to really enjoy. Gentle Giant, Camel, Nektar, Can, Gong, Lucifer's Friend, Curved Air, High Tide, Atomic Rooster, Ash Ra Tempel, Van Der Graff Generator, Rare Bird, Aphrodite's Child, Focus, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Strawbs, Clearlight, Henry Cow, Magma, McDonald & Giles, Message, Barclay James Harvest, Eloy...and others I'm probably forgetting at the moment.

Same here, I've always had a soft spot for prog and Krautrock. Can's music has been a total revelation to me this year. Of late I've been acquiring stuff by Gentle Giant, Curved Air, VDGG, Camel, Caravan, Greenslade, Samurai/Web and Gong. Loved the McDonald & Giles album, a real discovery, up there with some of King Crimson's best work.

• 3 weeks later...

Miroslav Vitous. Got a hold of Purple recently which is an incredible album, right up there with the immortal Infinite Search. Inspired me to go back and listen to all his appearances with Weather Report where he held his own with Wayne and Joe - now that ladies and gentleman is quite an achievement!

I believe he had a very brief stint with Miles once. Would love to have heard that, although I understand it was only a live gig.