Funniest Films

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez, 75 responses, and not a single vote for "Some Like It Hot", which is usually at the top of Best Comedy lists...

It's the "Kind Of Blue" of the film world!

I almost mentioned it, but for me it's a notch below my favorites.

Geez, 75 responses, and not a single vote for "Some Like It Hot", which is usually at the top of Best Comedy lists...

It's a great film and a great comedy, and a better film than most mentioned, but it's not necessarily as funny as many of the others, I mean in a belly laugh way. Wilder is possibly my favorite director.

Another non-stop laugh-fest is the Dinner Game (Le Diner de Cons), remade as Dinner for Schmucks, which I didn't see (but is a better translation of the original title).

diner_1.jpg

Edited by Pete C

It's a great film and a great comedy, and a better film than most mentioned, but it's not necessarily as funny as many of the others, I mean in a belly laugh way.

bingo, Pete. hit the nail on the head.

and talk about actual lol, that clip you put up of Living In Oblivion is hysterical :excited: i will have to rent that one...

Edited by thedwork

"North by Northwest" is a thriller, sure, but a comedy/thriller, and it's never funnier than when the danger is highest.

Hm.

TBH, I never saw that film as anything less than a Hitchcock cliffhanger.

Great movie, though.

Cook and Moore

Bedazzled is uneven, but has some great moments. I don't know why, but for years I labored under the misconception that it was a Richard Lester film.

I love Bedazzled as well. There is some funny stuff in that. The pop star wish is hilarious. I've read people write that the 'pop star' Peter Cook plays in this scene is strangely pre-empting David Bowie's stage persona of a few years later :g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ-1uO5H0Vk

Best lyric.....

You fill me with inertia....

Still haven't seen Being John Malkovich after all of these years.

That may have been the film that gave me my crush on Catherine Keener. That and Living in Oblivion (directed by and with Buscemi).

http://www.youtube.c...&feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NWYbXsTqv4g

Have to agree with Happiness, one of the only movies I've found really funny in the past 10 years or so.....

Living in Oblivion is great but it's not directed by Buscemi it's by Tom DiCillo

I thought with with the sense of history that is on this board I would have seen a lot more screw ball comedies and the like mentioned.

Though perhaps not considered a comedy first, I have to say that to me Network is one of the funniest (and most prescient) movies ever.

Then every thing Preston Sturges especially the big three...The Lady Eve, Palm Beach Story and Sullivan Travels.

Duck Soup, My Man Godfrey, Dr. Strangelove, The In-Laws (the original of course, the remake was one of the worst movies ever made), The South Park Movie are others that come to mind.

I don't think any Chaplin has been mentioned. There are many of course but maybe Modern Times is the one that cracked me up the most as a kid.

Though not one of the funniest, another good one is That Uncertain Feeling by Ernst Lubitsch. Not one of his better known movies but very funny. Woman leaves her brutish husband for egocentric concert pianist she meets in her psychiatrist's office.

Edited by david weiss

• 1 month later...

I'd have mentioned 'Le cage au folles'.

'Mon oncle' still makes me laugh. My daughter borrowed a copy from the library a little while back and brought it round.

The one of his I scream with laughter to is 'Traffic'. Those wonderful shots of people in other cars, feeling they're in private and picking their noses etc just kill me. People are the funniest people ever.

Another French comedy film I love - but can't remember the title at present - is one that takes place mostly in the sewers of Paris.

A Spanish film that I find really strangely funny was 'Belle epoque' - about some sisters' amorous adventures with the hero during the Spanish Civil War. Gruesome but hilarious.

I love the Carry on films. The world would be a much worse place without awful puns.

Funniest American film I've seen is 'I'm gonna git you, sucker', a spoof blaxploitation film produced by Motown.

Also

Life of Brian

The party (Peter Sellers doing his Indian act again, but as subtle as Keaton)

Dolomite (Rudy Ray Moore)

The importance of being Earnest (with Edith Evans)

MG