Fritz Pauer

rockefeller center

What a great loss. Such a great musician/composer/gentleman,

Got the sad news yesterday from a friend, whose wife is Fritz Pauer´s niece.

I knew Fritz Pauer quite well during the late 70´s early 80´s when I used to listen him playing many many nights.

Just recently I heard some younger musicians perform his "Cherokee Sketches", a fast thing he also played very often with Art Farmer.

Actually he was the first jazz pianost I heard life, it was his great trio with Jimmy Woode and Tony Inzalaco. Also in 1978 they performed with Johnny Griffin, great great memories. That trio was THE rhythm section then.

Of course, he played very very much with Art Farmer, but I also heard him with giants like Dave Liebman (unforgettable evenings), with Eddie Lockjaw Davis/Harry Sweets Edison, with Kai Winding, Cecil Payne, and of course with hornplayers from Austria like Eric Kleinschuster and Carl Drewo.

He had his own unique style, but he could play practically all styles from stride to avantgarde. Heard him play like Bud, like Monk if he felt like that. I´ll never forget him, and those wonderful nights.....

"Spelunke" is one of my favorite tunes.

Yeah, I remember I was there, when he played "Spelunke" the first time, it was around 1980/81 I think. It´s very "monkish" and was dedicated to the nice little jazz club "Spelunke" in 1060 Viena, a club where he performed often. I remember the sheet music was there in a frame until the club had to close in 1993 I think. This was a small club, live music was only until 10 pm because of noise problems. Many great musicians played there: Eddie Harris, Pat Metheny and Chet Baker/Karl Ratzer. I miss those great days, we had so many clubs, especially in that small neighborhood. You just met musicians on every corner, to shake hands with them, talk to them, drink and jam with them.....

Yeah I remember that EGO LP, it´s with Isla Eckinger and Billy Hart, rite?

Strange, just recently I listened to his album "Blues Inside Out" with the working trio with Jimmy Woode and Tony Inzalaco. As at the making of the tune "Spelunke", I somehow witnessed the "Blues Inside Out" also. Fritz played those tunes at "Jazz Freddy", later Johnny Griffin came in and jammed....wonderful times, never in live I´ll forget that.....

What a great loss. Such a great musician/composer/gentleman,

Got the sad news yesterday from a friend, whose wife is Fritz Pauer´s niece.

I knew Fritz Pauer quite well during the late 70´s early 80´s when I used to listen him playing many many nights.

Just recently I heard some younger musicians perform his "Cherokee Sketches", a fast thing he also played very often with Art Farmer.

Actually he was the first jazz pianost I heard life, it was his great trio with Jimmy Woode and Tony Inzalaco. Also in 1978 they performed with Johnny Griffin, great great memories. That trio was THE rhythm section then.

Of course, he played very very much with Art Farmer..

Beautiful writer and interesting player. I heard him stretch out himself on a piece he wrote for Art and Clifford Jordan, and interviewed in NY on WKCR. The ranks are thinning among the great Europeans. Happily Cess Slinger, Ack Van Rooyen, and Ferdinand Povel still walk among us.

Yeah I remember that EGO LP, it´s with Isla Eckinger and Billy Hart, rite?

The drummer was Billy Brooks on this 1977 LP - he and Jimmy Woode are on the 1970 MPS LP recorded live at the legendary Jazz Galerie in Berlin.

I can't recall at which occasion I saw Pauer live - perhaps with George Coleman?

• 7 years later...

R-5954434-1555062258-4594.jpeg.jpgR-5954434-1555062393-8788.jpeg.jpg

A somewhat disappointing album. Sound is strange, with the drums very present in excellent sound on the left channel, but a muddy sounding bass and tinny piano. Programming is annoying, the first half is all boogaloo tunes in the same tempo and groove, followed by ballads and straighahead tunes in better piano sound. Nay's time is impeccable, but his playing is not varied enough. Same for Pauer. When you hit random play, it is more bearable. Far from an audiophile recording. There Is a companion CD on the same label with all Pauer's tunes recorded at the same sessions, but I'm afraid to be disappointed once more when I go for it. Do not misunderstand me, the playing is good, but not as creative as I expected.

If anybody wants this CD, pm me.

15 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Just located these two on my shelves.   The Art Farmer-Fritz Pauer - Azure is a duo session.41x239a2yjL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg519x0AkUI8L._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

As a guy from Vienna I can say there were periods when I saw and heard Fritz Pauer almost weekly, very often for two or even three nights during a week. 

The "Blues Inside Out"   came out in 1978 and I bought it as soon as it came out. This trio with Jimmy Woode and Tony Inzalaco was really cooking and they played at "Jazz Freddie", which was a legendary jazz club. I heard them as a trio, and in April 1978 they played there with Johnny Griffin. 

And needless to say I saw him very very often with Art Farmer. In the same year 1978 he played several nights and at one Occasion Max Roach went into the club, but didn´t sit in (for contractual reasons).