Mingus Candid Recordings

Z-Man

While I cannot really answer your question, I have a typed discography of the five Candid CDs, maybe this does help you:

Session 1: October 20, 1960

The Quartet

Ted Curson t, Eric Dolphy as/bcl, Charles Mingus b, Dannie Richmond d. (CD Release)

1. Folk Forms No. 1 13.01 Mingus Mingus Presents Mingus

2. Original Faubus Fables 9.03 Mingus -

3. What Love? 15.19 Mingus -

4. All The Things You Could Be Now If Sigmund

Freud?s Wife Was Your Mother 8.33 Mingus -

5. Stormy Weather 13.23 Arlen-Koehler Mingus

The Drum Solo

Dannie Richmond d.

6. Melody From The Drums 9.25 Richmond Mysterious Blues

The Ensemble

Ted Curson t, Lonnie Hillyer t, Jimmy Knepper tb, Britt Woodman tb (#9 only), Eric Dolphy bcl/fl/as, Charles McPherson as, Booker Ervin ts (out on #7), Nico Bunink p, Charles Mingus b, Dannie Richmond d.

7. Reincarnation Of A Love Bird (1st Vers., tk 4) 9.13 Mingus Mysterious Blues

8. Vassarlean (Weird Nightmare) 6.38 Mingus -

9. MDM (Monk, Duke & Mingus) 19.52 Mingus(-Monk-Duke) Mingus

Session 2: November 11, 1960

The Ensemble

Ted Curson t (out on #10), Lonnie Hillyer t, Jimmy Knepper tb, Eric Dolphy bcl/fl/as (out on #10), Charles McPherson as, Booker Ervin ts, Paul Bley p, Charles Mingus b, Dannie Richmond d.

10. Bugs (tk 3) 8.28 Mingus Reincarnation

11. Reincarnation Of A Love Bird (tk 1) 7.02 Mingus -

12. Lock ?Em Up (Hellview Of Bellevue) 6.35 Mingus Mingus

The Eldridge Session

Roy Eldridge t, Jimmy Knepper tb (#13-16), Eric Dolphy as/bcl/fl (#13-16), Tommy Flanagan p, Charles Mingus b, Jo Jones d.

13. Mysterious Blues 8.35 Mingus Mysterious Blues

14. Body And Soul 13.45 Green-Sour-Heyman-Eyton Reincarnation

15. Body And Soul (alt) 10.41 Green-Sour-Heyman-Eyton Mysterious Blues

16. R & R 11.55 Eldridge-Ray Brown Reincarnation

17. Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams (tk 4) 3.59 Barris-Koehler-Moll -

18. Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams (tk 5) 3.48 Barris-Koehler-Moll Mysterious Blues

19. Me And You (Me And You Blues) 10.08 Eldridge-Mingus-Flanagan-Jones -

All Tracks On MOSAIC MD3-111 (MR4-111 omitted #15 & #18, they surfaced after initial issue and were included for the first time on the CD version of the Mosaic set)

Candid CD Issues (1989): Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus (CACD 79005-2)

Mingus (CACD 79021-2)

Reincarnation Of A Love Bird (CACD 79026-2)

Mysterious Blues (CACD 79042-2)

The Candid CD 79042 has

Body and Soul (take 2)

Reinacrnation of a lovebird (1st version)(take 4)

Melody from the drums

listed as previously unissued, and this was released after the Mosaic set. Shame on them. These are identical with the two respective takes on the Candid Dolphy CD.

So the CD edition of the Candid Mingus indeed seems to complete, which puzzles me a bit, as I remember a down beat review stating that one of these Candid CDs had unreleased material - the reviewer must have referred to the LP Mosaic without making this clear - maybe he wasn't aware that the LP and CD editions were different.

Those Candid reissue CDs are a mess! Must be so much hard work to release CDs with complete sessions .... :rolleyes:

Edited by mikeweil

I was talking to Alan Bates, the owner of the Candid tapes, a few months ago. He said that he had some unissued Candid material, particularly by Jaki Byard (solo). Maybe there's more.

Thanks for sharing these good news, John!

I like that one solo Byard CD on Candid a lot! (that one was also not released back in the days, as far as I know)

ubu

• 16 years later...

Here the informations about Reincarnation Of A Love Bird:

https://www.jazzdisco.org/candid-records/discography-1960/

Ted Curson, Lonnie Hillyer, trumpet; Charlie McPherson, alto sax; Eric Dolphy, alto sax, bass clarinet, flute;
 Nico Bunick, piano; Charles Mingus, bass; Dannie Richmond, drums; Nat Hentoff, supervisor.

Reincarnation Of A Love Bird (1st version) (take ?)    Mosaic MR4-111, MD3-111
 Reincarnation Of A Love Bird (1st version) (take 1)    Candid (Eu) CS 9033 (on Candid Dolphy)
 Reincarnation Of A Love Bird (1st version) (take 4)    Candid (Eu) CS 9042 (Charles Mingus - Mysterious Blues)

But the two Versions on Candid Dolphy & on Mysterious Blues seem to be the same

Lonnie Hillyer, trumpet; Charlie McPherson, alto sax; Booker Ervin, tenor sax; Paul Bley, piano; Charles Mingus, bass; Dannie Richmond, drums; Nat Hentoff, supervisor.

Reincarnation Of A Love Bird (2nd version) (take 1)    Mosaic MR4-111, MD3-111; Candid (Eu) CS 9026 = Charles Mingus - Reincarnation Of A Love Bird   1988

Can somebody help me? 
Thanks
Luciano

• 1 month later...
"According to the liner notes of Mosaic MR4-111, MD3-111 [CD], "Reincarnation of a lovebird" breaks down after 9 minutes (faded on releases) and another take was not tried. However, subsequent releases on Candid and Music Club give take numbers 1 or 4 but they are all the same take."

Above is an extract from Lord Discography (online) - all so called three takes from October 20 are the same track ie there is only one version