Blue Note and Mondavi

I did happen to look at the Blue Note site and found this wino jazz advertised along their usual column of links.

Looks like right after BN gets finished with this great Norahzation well be able to turn to our once beloved label for some classic smooth jazz and classical gems to unwind and uncork to. Check out this compilation and the embarrassing segue of tunes that they probably paid somebody to painstakingly put together. :rolleyes:

I think I need a beer!

I guess this is the sort of thing you have to do to sell records these days. It should be noted that it's a cross promotion of EMI family labels and artists on the Angel website. Looks like they're going after the classical musicand/or yuppie crowd with this indulgence theme.

From a jazz purist standpoint, I guess it looks sort of like the continued Norahnization of the label, but I think it's a decent enough marketing angle. Throw some popular EMI artists together in the same ad campaign, appeal to the target audience with some hook - that being the indulgence thing, cross promote with some co-sponsors and see if they can sell some albums.

You could do worse than picking up Cassandra Wilson, Jacky Terrasson, Bill Charlap, Patricia Barber and Dianne Reeves. I even went to cd universe to see who this Melissa Errico babe is. Unfortunately, not even remotely my cup of tea.

The compilation is - what's the word - interesting? :wacko:

I did enter the contest to win the trip to Switzerland but I'm not telling any of you how music, chocolate and wine effect my life. :P If I'm lucky enough to have been amongst the first 1000 contestants, though, I'll be getting a free copy of the sampler. :party:

Aw c'mon now...nothing like gettin' guests liquered up and doing some nice lounge mixes with Cassandra Wilson floating into Sarah Brightman and then maybe cue-ing up a little Aleister Crowley right into Diamanda Galas and then calming down the mood with a bit of Patricia Barber segueing into some Sondheim Angela Landsbury. Boy, if I were drunk enough I could go on and on....

:wacko:

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

I mix wine & Jazz all the time! They are perfect for each other. In fact, I even bought that wine/Jazz combo a few years back from Maria Schneider... I've never regretted it.

However, Mondavi is not my wine of choice. Too bad EMI didn't ask around before aligning themselves with Modavi. Their primo stuff is good but overpriced and their resonably priced stuff isn't worth buying. There are so many better wineries out there.

Later,

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...