Favorite West Coast Classics

well ill tell u guys whats NOT my favorite WCJ-C, is Booker Ervin, booker n brass or something to that sort

i saw it and was all freakin' out and wanted it beacuse it was booker ervin on pacific jazz and i didn't have it, then i was reading the fine print, and it said

....recorded at Webster Hall, New York City

it was like, if you saw a really really hot chick with a giant penis- thats what it felt like when i discovered to my dismay the session info. obviously dick bock by that point took WAY to much acid with Ray Manzerek and stuf (he was into that whole scene too man)

Do you guys know what ever happneed to him?

WCJ THREAD TOPIC CHANGE, CHEWYS CHOICE:

WHAT EVER BECAME OF DICK BOCK. IS HE DEAD? IF NOT DEAD, WHAT IS HE UP TO

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well ill tell u guys whats NOT my favorite WCJ-C, is Booker Ervin, booker n brass or something to that sort

i saw it and was all freakin' out and wanted it beacuse it was booker ervin on pacific jazz and i didn't have it, then i was reading the fine print, and it said

....recorded at Webster Hall, New York City

it was like, if you saw a really really hot chick with a giant penis- thats what it felt like when i discovered to my dismay the session info. obviously dick bock by that point took WAY to much acid with Ray Manzerek and stuf (he was into that whole scene too man)

Do you guys know what ever happneed to him?

WCJ THREAD TOPIC CHANGE, CHEWYS CHOICE:

WHAT EVER BECAME OF DICK BOCK. IS HE DEAD? IF NOT DEAD, WHAT IS HE UP TO

He's not up to much....he passed away in 1988.

m~

I fully agree with the recommendation of Bill Perkins' "On Stage" as a prime example of "typical" West Coast jazz.

What I find a bit strange, though, is the inclusion of the Shank/Cooper "Blowing Country" disc in such a reissue program that probably purports to make OUTSTANDING examples of the genre available again.

For once I have to agree with the period reviews of this release: It is pleasantly sounding jazz-tinged background music but one of the better examples of WCJ? I dunno ... Rather, it's fairly light fare. Sure there must be more substantial WCJ music in the PJ catalog.

Besides, the original release already was an unnecessary oddity: Tracks previously issued on three different PJ/WP LP's rehashed into a new cash-in product, i.e. a "compilation", not an original release.

I like the Shank disc, although I agree other sessions were prolly more deserving. The last 4 selections (flute 'n oboe) are maybe the weak link in an otherwise enjoyable session, imho.

Regarding Katanga: What a great album. A friend was visiting last night, he's not much into jazz but 'Native Land' was playing on my computer itunes and he stopped, almost in mid-sentence, walked over to the computer and squinted to see what was playing, Katanga's a head-turner!

Edited by montg

Just got the Earl Anderza disc. Whoa! I didn't expect it to sound so unique. Awesome stuff!

One of the most interesting parts of the Horace Tapscott autobiography are his memories of Earl Anderza. Tapscott claims that Anderza was playing stuff in the mid-50s that was even more "out" than Ornette.

• 4 months later...

I probably mentioned this in the early days of this thread, but Katanga is hands down my favorite of the WCC series.

Up.

Ate at IHOP with the fam this morning and there's a cd exchange a couple of doors down so I check it out and low and behold they have a copy of Katanga sittin' there for $5!!! It even has the OBI strip. As soon as I got in the car, I popped it in and was astonished how good this album is!

Its been said before, there really isn't a bad one in the bunch.

Now all I need is five more, and I'll have'em all!!!

I probably mentioned this in the early days of this thread, but Katanga is hands down my favorite of the WCC series.

Up.

Ate at IHOP with the fam this morning and there's a cd exchange a couple of doors down so I check it out and low and behold they have a copy of Katanga sittin' there for $5!!! It even has the OBI strip. As soon as I got in the car, I popped it in and was astonished how good this album is!

Katanga is amazing, nice find :tupNative Land will have you reaching for the repeat button.

Up.

Katanga is amazing, nice find :tupNative Land will have you reaching for the repeat button.

And it's a KILLER on the dance floor!

MG

Must admit, there's one West Coast Classic I don't love: Blowin' Country. Just never did much for me. All the others I really like though.

I gave Blowin' Country a spin again this morning and I agree that its not the cream of the crop (out of the ones I've heard so far) but overall its not bad either. I bought this one about four years ago and I've played it maybe on average once a year. I think though that the first date on the disk is slightly better than the second (the bonus tracks 12-5 from '56), which seems to drag on a bit.

I've also noticed something peculiar about the cd spines. It seems that most of the spines are printed on white paper with black lettering but the Chet Baker spine is printed on black paper with white lettering. Doesn't it seem strange that they would print one spine in black and the others white?

Must admit, there's one West Coast Classic I don't love: Blowin' Country. Just never did much for me. All the others I really like though.

I gave Blowin' Country a spin again this morning and I agree that its not the cream of the crop (out of the ones I've heard so far) but overall its not bad either. I bought this one about four years ago and I've played it maybe on average once a year. I think though that the first date on the disk is slightly better than the second (the bonus tracks 12-5 from '56), which seems to drag on a bit.

I'm not saying it's BAD. But it's certainly not a favorite. It would be fair to say it's given me the least amount of pleasure.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've really been on a WCC kick, after snagging Katanga! and Jack Montrose Sextet this year so far, so I've decided to try and complete the series (sounds compulsive, huh?). So I bid and won on Ebay, Bill Perkin's 'On Stage' for $7.99 (w/ shipping 11.98!). As soon as it comes in, which should be a day or two, I'll share my thoughts on it.

Now only four more to go :rolleyes:

Now only if the 10inch Conns were so cheap (just watched McGhee vol 2 on Ebay go for $40 and the Salvador go for $27...sigh)

Edited by Holy Ghost

Well I've really been on a WCC kick, after snagging Katanga! and Jack Montrose Sextet this year so far, so I've decided to try and complete the series (sounds compulsive, huh?). So I bid and won on Ebay, Bill Perkin's 'On Stage' for $7.99 (w/ shipping 11.98!). As soon as it comes in, which should be a day or two, I'll share my thoughts on it.

Now only if the 10inch Conns were so cheap (just watched McGhee vol 2 on Ebay go for $40 and the Salvador go for $27...sigh)

Twenty-seven simolians (dollars) for the Salvador? Just not fair!!

Twenty-seven simolians (dollars) for the Salvador? Just not fair!!

You're tellin' me! I want the Salvador for $11.98 or I'm not payin' :lol:

Bill Perkin's 'On Stage'

Two words: Carl Fontana! :excited:

Finally 'On Stage' came in yesterday and I'm now playing it as I type. I definitely feel the West Coast vibe on this set. Nice swing and arrangements. I also remember you mentioning Carl Fontana so I've been really keeping my ears tuned to him (this is really my first exposure to Fontana although I've heard his name before) and he swings like mad!

On another note, its just hard to believe that if you missed out on this series 10 years ago and now want to hear this great music that you now have to scramble around finding deals or sift through second-hand bins, so you're not paying $40 a pop on ebay or at Amazon. I have to admit that finding the Touff and the Amy at $5 a pop in various used cd bins was a thrill though; now that was worth a couple years worth of hunting!