Detroit Pianists

Justin V

Thanks, everyone. I knew that I was going to fail to mention someone obvious, but I can't believe that I forgot Sir Roland Hanna!!! I've seen Geri Allen in Detroit, but I'm not sure whether they acknowledged her Detroit roots. I look forward to checking out the others.

Big topic, good question.

Many greats listed above, nice that Todd Rhodes (interesting career in early swing and early R&B) and TJ Fowler, (bandleader/early Motown involvement/landscaper/teacher/composer) get some ink.

Willie Anderson...maybe the greatest pre-bop Detroit pianist of all. http://detroitmusichistory.com/W_Anderson.pdf

Another fine pianist: Otis "BuBu" Turner, early bebop exponent, made some fine sides with Kenny Burrell, never reissued, unfortunately.

Terry Jean Pollard was amazing as her stuff with Yusef (and Terry Gibbs) will show.

Hersal Thomas spent time in Detroit, he died here too. There was a lot of traffic between Chicago and Detroit, esp. among blues pianists. Detroit had no "real" recording studios until around 1933 so early Detroit bands like McKinney's or Goldkette waxed in Chicago or NYC.

Mustn't forget Alma Smith, "The Countess of Swing" who was a child prodigy and played fine piano until a year before her death earlier this year.

Alma recorded with The Counts and Countess in the late forties, also made three soundies with the C&C. At her best, she was elegant and creative.

Two other fine pianists: Johnny Allen, still playing a bit age 95, former MD of the Club Congo Orchestra, from whence came Wardell, Teddy Edwards, Howard McGhee, Big Nick Nicholas, Al McKibbon and Kelly Martin too. And Earl "The Pearl" Van Riper, who recorded with Cleanhead Vinson. Earl was brilliant, a fine pianist and storyteller too, one of those guys you would listen to and all else was forgotten, entrancing, melodic, just wow.

Earl always told a story with his solo, had a distinctive sound and style. And he always knew what notes to play, and when to play them. The man had taste, in other words.

I hate to sound disappointed, but I don't hear guys like him anymore, musicians that captivate me and hold my attention. Or, very few musicians who do that.

• 1 year later...