Upcoming Diana Krall album ...

mikeweil

Glad Rag Doll - You can here a track on Verve's soundcloud - produced by T Bone Burnett, it will feature Marc Ribot, Bryan Sutton, Colin Linden, bassist Dennis Crouch, drummer Jay Bellerose, and keyboarder Keefus Green. After hearing the sample, I'm not quite convinced that she will convince me with that style ...

Diana-Krall-Glad-Rag-Doll-by-Mark-Seliger.jpg

nothing to write home about. always good to hear Ribot though :excited: and partly due to that, this sounds like it coulda been a T. Waits backing track w/ his vocal taken out and Krall taking her turn. Waits karaoke. the results being similar to Krall's earlier cover of the Waits classic "Heart Of Saturday Night." mainly ok but forgettable.

by the way, i'm no Krall hater. i think she's a good singer and in the right context an excellent pianist. my favorite recording of hers is still her debut Steppin' Out. a very good record...

Edited by thedwork

I have a couple of her CD's and the Paris DVD. I think she's fine, but I can take her or leave her. What I don't understand is why she allows herself to be sold as a sex symbol first and and a musician second. I don't know squat about marketing, but that strikes me strongly as putting the cart ahead of the horse.

I have a couple of her CD's and the Paris DVD. I think she's fine, but I can take her or leave her. What I don't understand is why she allows herself to be sold as a sex symbol first and and a musician second. I don't know squat about marketing, but that strikes me strongly as putting the cart ahead of the horse.

i can see your point. but from where i sit, it's easy to understand how someone could allow themselves to be marketed in a manipulative way if they find out it can generate a lot of money for themselves. not saying it's right, just understandable.

That's been the main problem with her... I saw her live several times in the late 90's before she became popular. She was shy, played a LOT more piano and was a MUCH better musician. It's these friggin' marketing people that messed her up IMHO. I do think the available cut from this upcoming CD seems promising. She got WAY too interested in being popular. I thought her marriage to Elvis Costello might move her to regain some artistic sensibilities.

Edited by tranemonk

The really sad part is she actually does have talent...

It really has been a disaster to watch her career unfold when she was very different at the beginning. Despite the stupid cd cover, I'm really hoping this new record is artistically better than the strings crap she's been putting out over the last few years.

Problem is, how do you make a decent living by just playing piano and singing with bass and drums behind you? Straight jazz perhaps what she does best, but in our superficial times ...

I, too, still like Steppin' Out a lot.

The German Jazz Echo site that Universal uses as a marketing tool actually refers this new production to Tom Waits and the like.

I doubt she is worried about proving how good she is. Perhaps she is doing exactly what she wants. Maybe this is music is moving her at this time in her life. Just because well versed jazz listeners and musicians prefer to hear her in a specific context does not mean that it would inspire her. Even if it is a commercial effort, who could blame her for considering how she might make an effort to help insure the future of her family?

the beloved late shirley horn, (and many other vocalists) was falling into those contrivance and overproduction traps late in her career. why would shirley horn need a piano player and 85 violins?

I like her albums with Johnny Mandel.

(furthermore, Abbey couldn't sing too well... ducks and runs for cover)

Or you can just stay behind those bars.

I doubt she is worried about proving how good she is. Perhaps she is doing exactly what she wants. Maybe this is music is moving her at this time in her life. Just because well versed jazz listeners and musicians prefer to hear her in a specific context does not mean that it would inspire her. Even if it is a commercial effort, who could blame her for considering how she might make an effort to help insure the future of her family?

:tup :tup

even though i'm one of the folks who "prefer to hear her in a specific context," i totally agree w/ your post. way to go...

Even if it is a commercial effort, who could blame her for considering how she might make an effort to help insure the future of her family?

I would have thought that was nicely taken care of when she married Elvis Costello. :) Nothing against Diana K., mind you. I enjoy several of her recordings and can leave the rest.

Even if it is a commercial effort, who could blame her for considering how she might make an effort to help insure the future of her family?

Huh? If, at this point in her career, insuring the future of her family is an issue, she should be finding a good lawyer and suing her management. We're talking about someone who has been able to successfully bridge the chasm between jazz and popular music, who has released nearly a dozen well selling CD's and who plays to sold out houses where ever she goes. I hardly think money is an issue or a driving force behind her decision making. I'll double down on that assertion by virtue of the fact that she's married to Elvis Costello.