Upcoming Diana Krall album ...

mikeweil

Even if it is a commercial effort, who could blame her for considering how she might make an effort to help insure the future of her family?

Huh? If, at this point in her career, insuring the future of her family is an issue, she should be finding a good lawyer and suing her management. We're talking about someone who has been able to successfully bridge the chasm between jazz and popular music, who has released nearly a dozen well selling CD's and who plays to sold out houses where ever she goes. I hardly think money is an issue or a driving force behind her decision making. I'll double down on that assertion by virtue of the fact that she's married to Elvis Costello.

You might be right. But that would be an assumption.

Even if it is a commercial effort, who could blame her for considering how she might make an effort to help insure the future of her family?

Huh? If, at this point in her career, insuring the future of her family is an issue, she should be finding a good lawyer and suing her management. We're talking about someone who has been able to successfully bridge the chasm between jazz and popular music, who has released nearly a dozen well selling CD's and who plays to sold out houses where ever she goes. I hardly think money is an issue or a driving force behind her decision making. I'll double down on that assertion by virtue of the fact that she's married to Elvis Costello.

Regardless, I certainly am not going to forego my right to complain about talented artists making commercial crap just because it feeds them and their families. They can do what they want, sure, but saying we can't carp about it? Absurd. You could justify practically everything anyone has ever done on those grounds.

Regardless, I certainly am not going to forego my right to complain about talented artists making commercial crap just because it feeds them and their families. They can do what they want, sure, but saying we can't carp about it? Absurd. You could justify practically everything anyone has ever done on those grounds.

I'm not trying to silence anyone. In truth, the music is not my favorite either. I just try to give the artist the benefit of the doubt, given that some of her other work has been great (in my opinion).

Saw Eliane Elias in person recently.

She can still play & sing, but (IMHO) is getting a little past the time when she can or should continue her short dress, spike heels, etc. appearance.

For some reason this came to mind while perusing this thread.

Obviously people (including Diana Krall)can choose to dress however they want.

Sometimes things just stop being attractive.

She can still play & sing, but (IMHO) is getting a little past the time when she can or should continue her short dress, spike heels, etc. appearance.

Like Joanne Brackeen (sp?) who often looked rediculous, and I think that was her own doing...

Of course - but how much do we really know about the ways of the business?

Well based on the photo above I don't think Diana has reached her sell-by date yet.

Do we discuss male musicians in these terms?

This may not be quite on your point, but I don't recall the last time a male musician posed in the equivalent of the kind of garb Krall is wearing.

Please no one post the naked Herbie Mann cover.

I like her albums with Johnny Mandel.

Ca. 1998 my nephew called me from San Diego, and asked me if I had ever heard of someone named Johnny Mandel. He had gone to a Diana Krall concert in Los Angeles; and Mandel sat down next to him, stuck out his hand and said, "Hi, I'm Johnny Mandel." I said to my nephew, "Tom, I would rather meet Johnny Mandel than Diana Krall."