Bunny Berigan Mosaic

I e-mailed Mosaic this morning to inquire about the set, its size, when it's coming out, etc. Here's the reply I received, in less than an hour(!):

'This will be a 7 CD set that will be released at the end of May. It will be

put up on the website under Upcoming Releases next week.'

:D

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are about four others. . . I don't think Michael is that fond of these and would make a Mosaic of them. He's kindof rightwing when it comes to Hutch. ;) Would make a better "Select" than a full box.

Edited by jazzbo

Lon,

What do you mean by his 70s stuff. I believe most of his 60s stuff is not out there either.

Plus, I don't think any of us need to be dismissive of the other tastes. I'd like to see a Hutcherson Mosaic and I'll buy the Berigan also, not to mention the Eldridge.

On another point, it seems to me that a lot of BN stuff is now Select material. I'm wondering why.

Personally, I like what Mosaic's doing (both with the Select and regular series). It's a good mix; something for everybody, if you will. Just wish the 'older style jazz' regular Mosaics were a bit smaller (due to $ factor), but it's great that they're getting this stuff out regardless of the size.

I'll pre-order this one, I'm in a "Big Band" streak right now, listening to the "Complete Glenn Miller". In fact, I'm thinking of spending this year just building up my Big Band collection. I'm not finding the new jazz that's coming out very exciting -- maybe it's the war, but i have a need for a more innocent(?), simplier(?), kind of music. Can't explain the feeling, but it's there.

I'd like to see a Hutcherson Mosaic and I'll buy the Berigan also, not to mention the Eldridge.

Is this hypothetical, or does Mosaic truly have an Eldridge set in the works?

Montg posted this on the AAJ board a few days ago:

I e-mailed Mosaic this morning about the rumored Roy Eldridge set. Bless their hearts, they responed within two hours and here's the good news:

"We are working on the Complete Roy Eldridge Verve Studio for possible release late this year"

Edited by BFrank

They dropped this project because of Martha Glazer (sp?), guardian of the estate. She is a real pain in the ass as I can attest. Someday I will tell the story.

I'd love to hear that story! BTW, funny to see avatar posted of "Have No Fear". Got it in the mail the other day, its a great album!

Guest Mnytime

Chuck

I wouldn't mind hearing the story as well. Pandora would never have survived around you. ;)

What label and years will this Berigan box cover?

This will be on my must have purchases.

It's going to be Columbia label stuff, mostly as a sideman. Late twenties to early thirties would be my guess.

Brad, I'm not jazzed to see a Hutcherson Mosaic of sixties stuff, as almost all were readily available within the last ten years, and I have it all and don't need to buy it again. And as for the albums such as "Inner Glow," "Head On," "Waiting," "The View From Inside," "Now," "Cirrius" and "Knucklebean"---I like them, I'd welcome a couple of Mosaic Selects from them, I don't think they'll be reissued as a full Mosaic set by Cuscuna. I could be wrong. I don't think he feels that there is a big enough market for them.

I agree that we shouldn't be knocking others' tastes. I don't think Weiz was; I apologize if I appeared to be. I'm very excited at the direction into pre-bop that Mosaic is taking. I find this area of the history very interesting in the past five years or so, and my interest in bop and beyond waning. Glad Mosaic is sailing into these waters.

More old fuddy duddy stuff.....where's the Hutcherson Mosaic ???? ;)

Some day, I am gonna punch you right in the kisser for saying that!!!! :angry::P

I still won't believe it till it is in black in white on the site!!! Y'all just don't know my luck! Glad to see it is looking like it will make it! :) Only 7 discs??? :huh:

They dropped this project because of Martha Glazer (sp?), guardian of the estate. She is a real pain in the ass as I can attest. Someday I will tell the story.

Man, that's a real shame. I was really forward to getting that. Guess I'll have to figure out other ways to get the material.

Berigan, do you have the Time-Life "Masters of Jazz" Bunny Berigan box?  That's what got me into him.  Looking forward to the Mosaic set.

Yes I do! Got it for $10 bucks a few years back! Very nice set, though I don't put on my turntable much these days :( Need to crank that sucker up! :D

Not to be a crying, fearful person, but.....WHERE IS THE MOSAIC SET?????????? :unsure::blink::eye:

I guess I need to calm down, and call them! I was going to wait to order it, but the suspense is KILLING ME!!!!

In case you can't tell ;)

Edited by BERIGAN

As one ol' fuddy-duddy to another, I hear ya, Berigan. I keep checking the website every day for the discography--but in the meantime, why not sit back, relax, and enjoy this great baseball season that we're having? ;)

Braves are somehow tied for 1st! Wish I could care :rolleyes: . You just shouldn't be able to get rid of Glavine and Millwood, and still compete! But, it is early yet.....Wish I could watch my other team (well, grew up a Cards fan) the Cubbies, but they took WGN off my cable system a year ago. :angry::angry: At least I still get a dozen home shopping channels eww.gif