Bunny Berigan Mosaic

Now I know why Bunny started drinking so much...he had to comp behind some of the worst Depression era songs ever written.  I thought I had heard most of the bad ones, but disc 1 digs up some new ones for me.  The thud you hear is me falling off that high horse.  Mnytime is, unfortunately, right-lot of crappy vocals.

:lol:

There must have been some bets made between record label heads, and the loser HAD to record some of those songs, and the singers...I feel no one, no one had to record as many bad songs over a career as Bunny did...some of his RCA stuff is just terrible(The tunes, not him!).....funny, I have read that he said there was no such thing as a bad song! :blink: Haven't had a real chance to play the set, but nice to not listen to it all in one day, anyway...still listening to disc 2, still getting to be a more confident player, but not at his peak yet...if anyone is worried who has ordered the set from what is being said now, start on disc 7, and work backwards! Trust me! B)

Edited by BERIGAN

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I know why Bunny started drinking so much...he had to comp behind some of the worst Depression era songs ever written. I thought I had heard most of the bad ones, but disc 1 digs up some new ones for me. The thud you hear is me falling off that high horse. Mnytime is, unfortunately, right-lot of crappy vocals.

You're probably right about this but I think your earlier post said it best. This was the music of the times and it being the depression, one probably couldn't be too choosy so you took what you could and tried to leave a mark that way, while waiting for better times and opportunities. I think if you listen to them in that context, you can get by some of these songs.

As Berigan, the addict, points out this is more of a historical set, allowing you to follow the development of Berigan the trumpet player. I for one am glad to have this collected together. I used to buy Frank Froeba etc. collections just to get the Berigan bits.. believe me you get a lot more dross that way.. so the Mosaic is a plus for me

Remember these were not necessarily considered Jazz or even Swing bands.. most of these records were attempts at the POP music of the day.. our Moms 'n Dads liked some strange songs.. or the writers and record promoters thought they did. We are interested because occasionally a major Jazz star to be, gets to blow a chorus ( or half chorus).

Once again buying this because it is a Mosaic and if you are unfamiliar with Berigan and the music from this era, can be a dangerous purchase.

Disc 7 is some of the best Berigan on record, and closest to typical Jazz, but unless you want to examine to Bunny's recording career, the tracks can be found on many single and two disc comps.

Mosaics are for collectors of specific artists.. Berigan is worth collecting that way.

I read that part of Berigan's Big Band failure while at RCA was because the company had at least two other major Big Bands.. Miller and Dorsey, and they gave the best songs to them, not wanting Berigan to record the same tune and hence dilute sales by the " stars", so even though the music does improve and become of more "jazz" interest.. Berigan seemed plagued by crappy songs throughout his whole career.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy I got the Berigan and I stand by comments in the first post. It's just that I had underestimated how cheesy some of the lyrics and melodies could be. Definitely pop music with heavy emphasis on "stayin' happy" tru the Depression, etc. Like you Ghost, I have a number of Jazz Oracles-for every Louisiana Rhythm Kings or Hot Notes cd that really swings, there are some like the Dorseys or Curtis Mosby that are more middle of the road. I knew that going into the purchases and I still enjoy them. In fact, the sound quality on these are so good that I almost forget when they were recorded. The amazing thing about the Berigan set is that Mosaic went into triple letters again in compiling all of the sessions-awful lot of effort in the project, which adds to my admiration for their work.

Disc 3 was great, with more jazzy pop tracks, (Had many but not all of the alternate tracks on the Hep Dorsey Bros cds) sound quality is even better than the Hep cds, and some great Connie(ee) Boswell tracks I don't think are any cds at this time. then went to put disc 4 in, and arrrrgh, it cracked! Damn, never had that happen before! :( I noticed the cds were really tight in the slim 2 cd cases, so everyone beware!

Guest mary mcgoon

Berigan said:

I noticed the cds were really tight in the slim 2 cd cases, so everyone beware!

I've noticed this a lot lately- the Mosaic Prima / Manone set (also from CBS/Sony) was like this, and I had to send some of the Bix / Trumbauer discs back to Mosaic because of little cracks forming around the center hole.

The new Verve LPRs are even worse because it's hard to get a grip on the CD edge with those. It took me 10 suspense-filled minutes to get "Attica Blues" out of its case.

I usually end up breaking one or two of the teeth off the tray, which will still hold the CD in plenty tight. If you have to bend the CD almost double to get it out, something ain't right!

Interesting comments so far. I think the fact that I'm a history major will help me to better understand these tracks (ie. pop sounding tunes with corny lyrics) within the context of the depression era.

I've noticed those slimline cases, in some cases, Mosaic and otherwise, to hold the cds very tightly. I wonder why that is?

I expect, and hope, that the set will arrive tommorow (they usually take about a week).

Interesting comments so far. I think the fact that I'm a history major will help me to better understand these tracks (ie. pop sounding tunes with corny lyrics) within the context of the depression era.

I've noticed those slimline cases, in some cases, Mosaic and otherwise, to hold the cds very tightly. I wonder why that is?

I expect, and hope, that the set will arrive tommorow (they usually take about a week).

Berigan, do you actually mean the cd broke in two pieces? I'm planning to start listening to that disc tonight. Thanks for the warning.

Brad, not in two peices, but it did crack all the way thru the cd from the spindle out....what's funny(Not ha ha) is that I have tried to crack those AOL free discs , and most of the time they warp, discolor, and only after great effort, break...I guess AOL just uses a higher grade of plastic for their discs! ;)

Just checked, and they have emailed they will send out a replacement disc...I kind of figured there wouldn't be a problem, but nice to know the great customer service I have read about from fellow jazz nuts is still the case! :)

Berigan, thanks for the heads-up on the possibility of actually cracking a cd, which fortunately has never happened to me. I got the Mulligan meets Hodges cd yesterday, and it seemed like it took 5 minutes to coax that sucker out of the jewel case. After reading about your experience, I was determined not to repeat it. Seems like it's just part of the "packaging" trend these days-you know, everything from razor blades to vitamins are bubble packed so that only a welder's torch (or your teeth) can ever get them open.

I've found that if a CD is in too tight, one thing you can do is reach over with your thumb and (gently) depress the inner spindle (the tines that hold the CD in by its center hole) while simultaneously pulling the CD up by its edges with your other hand. Once in a while the tines might crack or fall out (which means you're in trouble) but only if they were already damaged in the first place. Generally this works like a charm for me.

I've found that if a CD is in too tight, one thing you can do is reach over with your thumb and (gently) depress the inner spindle (the tines that hold the CD in by its center hole) while simultaneously pulling the CD up by its edges with your other hand. Once in a while the tines might crack or fall out (which means you're in trouble) but only if they were already damaged in the first place. Generally this works like a charm for me.

Even my mother, whose hands are not of the most flexible, has no problem getting out the most recalcitrant CD by just shoving in the centre 'til it pops out. And it 'never did her any harm' etc.

I've found that if a CD is in too tight, one thing you can do is reach over with your thumb and (gently) depress the inner spindle (the tines that hold the CD in by its center hole) while simultaneously pulling the CD up by its edges with your other hand.  Once in a while the tines might crack or fall out (which means you're in trouble) but only if they were already damaged in the first place.  Generally this works like a charm for me.

Even my mother, whose hands are not of the most flexible, has no problem getting out the most recalcitrant CD by just shoving in the centre 'til it pops out. And it 'never did her any harm' etc.

Just got my disc 4! Yea Mosaic! :tup I shall now put on my inspector Berigan cap and figure out why the hell I broke a cd....lets see know, just took out disc 3, no problem...open the trim 2 cd case up, put disc 4 in, now try to take it out...same problem!(well, didn't break the disc at least!) Checked out the inner disc on other cases in the set, and this seems to be a problem, to a lesser extent on all of them. It seems that when you open the case so that the inner portion of the tray is out of the cd case, there is little support...you don't want to break the cd case, but I will worry less about this in the future! The centers don't seem to want to compress, either. I will also gently loosen the teeth that hold the cd in place. Never noticed them on these sets before, but they are fairly long, and alternate ...4 will flex on one side, but not on the other(Do jazz nuts know how to waste time, or what? :w )

One of the hold down tabs is already stressed, turning white, so perhaps I will just get some cheap 2 cd cases, and replace these...No doubt Mosaic does not like the discs to pop out like many 2 cd cases do....and spends more for these, but these are too good!

By the by, I have replaced 100's of cd cases for being cracked, yellow, gummy, evil, what have you...so I felt really stupid for cracking a cd! :winky:

Edited by BERIGAN

Well, it did arrive today and I am one happy dude! I'm planning on listening to the set in "reverse", from disc 7 (which I just finished listening to; wow, great stuff) backwards to disc 1.

I'm finding Bunny's playing to be just magnificent, especially on the one vocal session that I've listen to (the one with Teddy Wilson and Johnny Hodges). He's got that Prez-like way of accompaniment that's just so difficult to pull off, but it seems effortless to him.

Can't wait to listen to the rest and will report back.

Well, it did arrive today and I am one happy dude! I'm planning on listening to the set in "reverse", from disc 7 (which I just finished listening to; wow, great stuff) backwards to disc 1.

I'm finding Bunny's playing to be just magnificent, especially on the one vocal session that I've listen to (the one with Teddy Wilson and Johnny Hodges). He's got that Prez-like way of accompaniment that's just so difficult to pull off, but it seems effortless to him.

Can't wait to listen to the rest and will report back.

Pryan, glad it arrived!!!!! :tup

Thanks Berigan. I listened to disc six last night. One of the sessions on that disc (one under Bunny's leadership) has a funny story about it re: Bunny losing some of the arrangements and/or sketches that he had made. I think he blamed one of his kids for taking it to school, or something along those lines. At the session the guys kind of just "winged it", but the results are still good to my ears. The second date w/ Billie is on disc 6 as well.... sublime. B)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

So I played discs 1-3, parts of disc 4 and then (in chronological order) disc 7. First impression: darn good! Disc 7 contains three small group dates, the first pairing Berigan with Bud Freeman, and it's effin' ridiculous! The second has Johnny Hodges in, Teddy Wilson on piano as well as chubby Mildred (yup, I love her singing!) and no drums (funny John Hammond story - seems a drummer was scheduled but Hammond gave him a call not to appear without the other musicians knowing...). The third date is with Edgar Sampson and Eddie Miller (I like his contributions on the Classic Capitol quite a bit, but Bud Freeman is again providing highlights there, too), as well as Cliff Jackson on piano. And all three dates have Moncur senior thumping away on bass, and doing greatly! Really three fantastic dates!

As for discs 1-3, some of that is just run of the mill stuff, Berigan accompanying singers (bad ones, mostly) with ARC studio bands, Berigan playing with the Dorsey Bros. (often backing the same bad singers), and Berigan with the Boswell Sisters or just Connie Boswell - some of those sides are again pretty great. Never heard Connie Boswell before, but she's fine!

The highlight of these dates for me is the session (two tunes, two takes each) with Lee Wiley ( :wub: ) - Berigan had an affair with her, it seems, and he's backing her in a much more intense way than any of the other singers. Effin' great stuff again! Now I hope that the rest of disc 4 and discs 5 and 6 continue on the better side!

I wonder: what else to get to have more *good* Berigan? Classics' run of releases picking up after the Mosaic ends? (Or even those covering the same years? Is there material on those volumes coming from labels not covered in the Mosaic?)

I wonder: what else to get to have more *good* Berigan? Classics' run of releases picking up after the Mosaic ends? (Or even those covering the same years? Is there material on those volumes coming from labels not covered in the Mosaic?)

Berigan led his own big band beginning in 1937, which recorded extensively for Victor. The music is of pretty high quality with many classics in amongst the more commercial sides. Also recorded with Benny Goodman's band in 1935 and with Tommy Dorsey in 1937. Both associations yielded a number of classics, icluding King Porter Stomp, Sometimes I'm Happy (Goodman), Song of India, Marie (Dorsey). These are essentials for the Berigan fan.

Chronological Classics and Hep have issued several volumes of his Victor sides, none of which are on the Mosaic.

I abstained from seeking that box because I has nearly all of the material. The link to the Mosaic Bunny Berigan set discograph does not work anymore.

Missing from the box were the sessions with Lee Wiley that are now available on those Baldwin Street Music CDs!

These are better than 'good' Berigans!!

My best friend tells me that the JSP rips off the remastering of the Mosaic, leaving off the alternates and two sessions (I loaned him my Mosaic for comparison). Shame.

Jack, yes, those Berigan band sides and his sideman work not in the Mosaic are great. I have the Berigan band and the Dorsey band material on the excellent series of Bluebird lps transferred to cdr which sound great, and there are some excellent solos from Bunny in there.

Guy, I have most of the material in the Mosaic outside the Mosiac. . . but man it sounds better in the Mosiac, and the booklet is great. I've been thrilled with every single prebop release Mosaic has come out with: keep 'em coming Scott!

Edited by jazzbo