Louis Armstrong: Complete Okeh, Columbia, and Victor 1925-1933

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have that material in several different sets (MoJ, King Jazz, Fremeaux, Columbia box...), but will get the Mosaic as well.

Desert island music, worthy of one thousand different issues!

Thanks for the good news.

Edited by EKE BBB

I have that material in several different sets (MoJ, King Jazz, Fremeaux, Columbia box...), but will get the Mosaic as well.

This is a Mosaic?? I wasn't clear based on the original report.

According to the article it'll be a Sony box, not a Mosaic.

What I wish for (and know it probably won't happen) would be a box set gathering newly remastered sides Louis recorded with singers as a sideman during that time. I have this material mainly on King Jazz, but they could use a sonic upgrade, and the work could be better known these days.

This should be a very nice set. The Armstrong recordings from these years belong together. They make up a single whole in his musical development, and it never got any better.

On the other hand, I wonder if there is much they can do with this music sonically that hasn't already been done.

Edited by John L

Believe it or not but if it's done right this wil be the only series/set that will be complete and available

The Integrale misses one take of 'I can't give you anything but love'.

Chant du monde leaves out a number of takes

Masters of Jazz never got that far

Classics/Neatwork are no longer available.

Essential Jazz Classics stops mid 1929 (But this set contains all four Brunswick sessions)

I just wonder how they will fill 10 CD's? If I counted correctly I come to 177 tracks (including the Carroll Dickerson session).

This could be the division over the CD's:

1925-1926 24 tracks

1927 21

1928 21

1929 24

1930 21

1931 20

1932 20

1933 26

That would account for 8 CD's. If Sony leases the Brunswick sessions from Universal like they did on the 'The Complete Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings' set there would be 9 CD's

Will I buy this set?

That depends on several factors:

Sound restoration

Is it realy complete

Is it Chronological

Do they leave out the singers sessions

We'll have to wait and see.

Edited by Stompy Jones

Believe it or not but if it's done right this wil be the only series/set that will be complete and available

The Integrale misses one take of 'I can't give you anything but love'.

Chant du monde leaves out a number of takes

Masters of Jazz never got that far

Classics/Neatwork are no longer available.

Essential Jazz Classics stops mid 1929 (But this set contains all four Brunswick sessions)

I just wonder how they will fill 10 CD's? If I counted correctly I come to 177 tracks (including the Caroll Dickerson session).

This could be the division over the CD's:

1925-1926 24 tracks

1927 21

1928 21

1929 24

1930 21

1931 20

1932 20

1933 26

That would account for 8 CD's. If Sony leases the Brunswick sessions from Universal like they did on the 'The Complete Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings' set there would be 9 CD's

Will I buy this set?

That depends on several factors:

Sound restoration

Is it realy complete

Is it Chronological

Do they leave out the singers sessions

We'll have to wait and see.

Just checked the Sony Complete Hot Fives and Hot Sevens Recordings booklet again and found two Vocalion/Brunswick sessions under Johnny Dodds' name (May 28, 1926 and April 22, 1927), with a total of 9 tracks. Which other two Brunswick sessions are you referring to?

You didn't mention the John R.T. Davies-mastered JSP CDs in your list above. They do not contain the Vocalion/Brunswick sessions. Frog issued the Johnny Dodds sessions on CD.

Edited by J.A.W.