Louis Armstrong: Complete Okeh, Columbia, and Victor 1925-1933

Hello all. As promised, I devoted an entry of my blog to a mini-history of the Hot Fives and Sevens on CD, ending with 39 sound clips you can stream, including excerpts from the new "OKeh" box, the 2000 Sony box, the JSP discs, the 1994 "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" box and the "Integrale" series from Fremeaux and Associates. Listen for yourself and decide on what's the right sound for you. Enjoy!

http://dippermouth.blogspot.com/2012/12/so-you-wanna-buy-hot-fives-and-hot.html

Yours in Pops,

Ricky

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all. As promised, I devoted an entry of my blog to a mini-history of the Hot Fives and Sevens on CD, ending with 39 sound clips you can stream, including excerpts from the new "OKeh" box, the 2000 Sony box, the JSP discs, the 1994 "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" box and the "Integrale" series from Fremeaux and Associates. Listen for yourself and decide on what's the right sound for you. Enjoy!

http://dippermouth.b...es-and-hot.html

Yours in Pops,

Ricky

:tup :tup :tup

ooops, wrong thread ... but thanks, Ricky!

Taking the Frémeaux route here, but I've got so many duplicates already, it's rather crazy!

I'm with Lon in liking the Sony set of the Hot Fives and Sevens, don't know the JSP though, but as I'm no audiophile, I can't be bothered too much.

Edited by king ubu

Ricky: anyone remember the four-volume "Louis Armstrong Story"?

Me: hellyeah! I bought the LPs just because they've got such nice covers! Crazy, huh? :crazy:

Do you mean the French VSOP series from the early 60s? As you are in Switzerland you might well mean those.

Very Special Old Phonography

Edited by Steve Gray

This recent budget set from Sony appears to have most of the Hot Fives and Sevens on it. Don't know what remastering they use: 80s/90s, Schaap or something else entirely.

I prefer Schaap's over all the others.

Really? I've compared the Complete Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings 4CD-set from 2000 that Schaap was involved in several times with the John R.T. Davies-mastered JSPs and I don't like it (the Schaap set) at all. It sounds harsh to me, especially in louder passages. Give me the Davies JSPs anytime, they sound much more natural to my ears.

Edited by J.A.W.

Ricky: anyone remember the four-volume "Louis Armstrong Story"?

Me: hellyeah! I bought the LPs just because they've got such nice covers! Crazy, huh? :crazy:

Do you mean the French VSOP series from the early 60s? As you are in Switzerland you might well mean those.

Very Special Old Phonography

No, I found the Columbia LPs (no idea what editions/pressings, I guess there were many? certainly no six-eye ones but later pressings) used in very good condition and for a pretty attractive price.

These:

025196.jpg025198.jpg

on that RCA box, as I recall, I was bugged because there were some "breathing" artifacts from the noise reduction; the best sound, as I now recall, for the Armstrong RCA is the old French black and white twofer, "Young Louis" I think it's called; and the CD reissue of that black and white, if you can find it, is very good. This is one of the sessions salvaged from the Camden studios before RCA tore them down.

I have the old RCA set ... the later one was too expensive when I wanted to get that music. But I'll go on buying the Frémeaux series anyway, sooner or later.

Since I perused the popmarket site again yesterday, I really would like to know Mark Wilder's stance on having his name there in the blatantly lying blurb!