Art Pepper's Complete Galaxy Recordings Box Set

I've seen the said box set on both EBay and Amazon. Does anyone have this, or has anyone heard positive things about it?

Another question: As of now I have several Mosaics, which I'm happy with, and the complete Ella Fitzgerald Songbooks, as well as the complete Miles Davis In Person at the Blackhawk and many Proper/JSP/Mosaic Selects box sets. At some point I'm sure I'll also pick up the Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel.

That being said, are there any box sets that you've found to be absolutely necessary, versus buying the seperate albums? Whether that be the Complete Billie Holiday on Verve or Bill Evans on Riverside, please share your recommendations.

thanks.

The Galaxy set is consistingly excellent, although I prefer Art Peppers recordings from the late 50s and 60s.

When buying the set on Ebay, be sure to read the description. This set has been discounted at Zweitausendeins.de for only 25 Euro, but the packaging is reduced compared to the US set. It comes in a slipper case and with a CD-size reduced copy of a part of the original booklet. Luckily, our friend Couw has made a nice tracklist in booklet size which includes all the discographical info.

"alternative" booklets to OJC box sets, upon popular request

Edited by Claude

I amn happy to have this set especially as courtesy of those Germans it only cost me £20 or there abouts.

It is a bit repetitive in feeling and would not be worth spending much money on. A few single CDs such as "Straight Life" and "Winter Moon" and you would pretty much get the measure of this box.

Sound is rather one dimensional thoughout. Not an essential box compared with Bill Evans on Riverside or Herbie Nichols Bluenote

That being said, are there any box sets that you've found to be absolutely necessary, versus buying the seperate albums?

THIS ONE, if you're into it.

d127005ptjp.jpg

Doesn't have the instrumental albums or THE GENIUS OF... album, but it's got all the R&B sides, which were hugely influential on both Art Blakey & Horace Silver. A lot more "jazzier" than any other such music of its era, and marvellously packaged and documented.

On Amazon, the description says the set encompasses 5 albums. Do you know which albums those five would be?

Marine, I believe it's these five:

Desmond Blue

Take Ten

Bossa Antigua

Easy Living

Glad to be Unhappy

This is a fantastic set. You won't be disappointed. Paul Desmond and Jim Hall made a great team. :tup

• 14 years later...
On 1/24/2004 at 1:07 PM, Claude said:

The Galaxy set is consistingly excellent, although I prefer Art Peppers recordings from the late 50s and 60s.

When buying the set on Ebay, be sure to read the description. This set has been discounted at Zweitausendeins.de for only 25 Euro, but the packaging is reduced compared to the US set. It comes in a slipper case and with a CD-size reduced copy of a part of the original booklet. Luckily, our friend Couw has made a nice tracklist in booklet size which includes all the discographical info.

"alternative" booklets to OJC box sets, upon popular request

The link to the tracklist no longer works.  Can anyone pls supply it?