AMG All Music Guide

mrjazzman

It seems like its just a cosmetic change to the interface, what makes it worthless? I don't use it often but I've used it a few times since the change and can't imagine why people would like it then be desperate for an alternative.

Is it just a change in interface with no loss of information? I haven't spent much time on it yet, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get the new interface to work in a way that gives the information of the old one. The old AMG gave a career retrospective for each artist, including a chronologically displayed discography that included in and out-of-print albums. Compilations were catalogued seperately. It was still vastly incomplete, of course, but still a valuable resource, particularly when a serious and knowledgeable reviewer was involved. I don't yet see how to retrieve all of that with the new interface. I hope that there is some way.

Edited by John L

There was a time when it was a real pain in the butt,

but I think it was in transition to this new phase.

I like it now. You can type anything in the search box.

You no longer have to stipulate artist, song, album title, etc

and it finds it for you. When you type "The Band", for example,

it shows you the artist, then after clicking on it, you get a full bio

and discography. Much easier - finally!

It seems like its just a cosmetic change to the interface, what makes it worthless? I don't use it often but I've used it a few times since the change and can't imagine why people would like it then be desperate for an alternative.

Is it just a change in interface with no loss of information? I haven't spent much time on it yet, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get the new interface to work in a way that gives the information of the old one. The old AMG gave a career retrospective for each artist, including a chronologically displayed discography that included in and out-of-print albums. Compilations were catalogued seperately. It was still vastly incomplete, of course, but still a valuable resource, particularly when a serious and knowledgeable reviewer was involved. I don't yet see how to retrieve all of that with the new interface. I hope that there is some way.

It's very simple - take John Coltrane, for example: under his name in the top left-hand corner you'll find the link to the discography, which is still chronological. On the discography page you can choose between "main albums", "compilations", "singles/EPs" and "DVDs and videos" at the top right-hand corner. Click on a title on the discography page and you'll get the review - for what it's worth :) I don't see the problem.

Edited by J.A.W.

It's very simple - take John Coltrane, for example: under his name in the top left-hand corner you'll find the link to the discography, which is still chronological...

There's even less effort than that, since the discography is on the same page as the bio.

Correct. You can either scroll down or click on the link under the artist's name.

It's very simple - take John Coltrane, for example: under his name in the top left-hand corner you'll find the link to the discography, which is still chronological...

There's even less effort than that, since the discography is on the same page as the bio.

Correct. You can either scroll down or click on the link under the artist's name.

OK, thanks. My post was a question rather than a statement. If all the content has been preserved in the new interface, then that's great.