Hardest Blue Note cds to find.

Ok everyone,

Like most of us here, I'm a big Blue Note collector. What, in your opinion, are the most difficult Blue Note cds to find?

We'll probably get a variety of opinions here, and who knows the right answers, but I'll venture a few:

Lee Morgan, "Sonic Boom"

Lee Morgan, "Delightfullee" (still looking for this bugger)

Hank Mobley "Slice of the Top"

Those are the ones I'm still looking for anyway. I've got the Mobley, but it took forever to get it (thanks again, Tom!!) :g

Want to hear about others.

The TOCJ of "Procrastinator", the one with the extra session not found on the U.S. domestic version.

Paid like $53 for mine on eBay, and then scored an extra one for a friend a couple months later for $25 (a steal, IMHO).

Real pain in the ass to find, although "Sonic Boom" is still probably harder to find.

It took me a while to find the two Bennie Wallace releases. A little less time for Jack Walrath. The US release of Tommy Flanagan's Lonely Town is scarce and one I'm looking for.

I'm still looking for Tommy Smith - Paris. Anybody have a copy they'd like to part with?

What about Lee Morgan's "The Rajah"? Took me a long time to find a copy of this one!

I picked up a copy of Raja fairly easy for cheap and had no idea that it is hard to find. I am getting that impression now as I read these posts. Come to think of it, I've never found another one.

Tom: $53 on ebay? Man, my spending limit is around $20-25. My addiction takes me only so far. Of course, that is why I still do not own, Andrew Hill, "Black Fire," Judgment, or "Smokestack" though they appear constantly on ebay. I simply have a spending limit. If the price gets bid up beyond $20 range then I feel I am taking too great a risk of spending big money for something that could be reissued at any time.

"Sonic Boom" will be reissued long before I am willing to spend $50 to buy it.

I just picked up Andrew Hill's Judgement and Smokestack for approx $25 a piece, more than I wanted to pay but after a couple of beers, it doesn't feel too bad! Freddie Hubbard - Ready For Freddie still eludes me, anyone have one for sale?

The most I have paid is $28.00 for Hank Mobley's Slice of The Top sealed, it's only money, right? Oops, forgot about the $30 I paid for Tina's True Blue, damn this is getting out of hand!

Edited by jacknife

Tom (Rooster): $53 on ebay? Man, my spending limit is around $20-25. My addiction takes me only so far.

I think that's the most I've ever paid for one CD, ever. Even 10 years ago, when I was buying bootlegs here and there - I think the most I ever paid was about $35 for one disc.

Yeah, it was crazy, but I was lusting after that one elusive Lee Morgan session (the extra session on "The Procrastinator" TOCJ), which was the 2nd-to-last session he ever recorded as the leader.

I did not, however, do any similar bidding for "Sonic Boom". (A friend was nice enough to burn it for me, and make a color-copy of the liner-notes.)

Some small consolation is that I do really love that extra session from 1969 (from the Procrastinator TOCJ). IMHO, it's damn near every bit as good as session as anything Lee recorded (as the leader) anytime after 1966.

For some reason, 'Basra' has always eluded me. I once passed on a 180g Conn vinyl reissue in the LP racks at £10 and have lived to regret it ever since. Funnily enough, the TOCJs of 'Rajah'and 'Procrastinator' weren't too difficult to find (admittedly a few years ago now).

'Sonic Boom' of course is not too difficult to find on the Liberty 'Rainbow' LP release.

I don't believe Stanley Turrentine is considered that hard to find on CD. I remember that title sitting on the shelves of a Virgin store for a couple of years. I 've seen it online on several occasions. But then again titles such as Sonic Boom or the TOCJ Procrastinator CD where available for about $12 over 2 years ago and sat on the shelves untouched for a month or two in a local retail store and have since become quite scarce. A lot of the US Blue Note titles from the late 1980's and early 1990's disappeared quickly like the already mentioned Stanley Turrentine That's Where It's At or Leo Parker Let Me Tell You Bout It.

• 2 weeks later...

Impossible:

James Newton - Romance and Revolution

Leo Parker - Let Me Tell You 'Bout It or Rolling With Leo

Pullen/Adams - Breakthrough or Song Everlasting

Bob Belden - Turandot (pulled from distribution due to a lawsuit... never even made the US)

Wicked hard... too many. Some, like Jerry Bergonzi's "Standard Gonz" seem to never show up in used bins but don't seem to fetch big bucks on ebay when the do. Others like Japan's "The Procrastinator" get big bucks on ebay and they're equally rare.

Later,

Kevin

How impossible are the "Leo Parker" BN CD's to find?? What would be a reasonable price for either one??

Have either one been released in Japan (meaning on CD)??

How's the sound quality of the domestic (U.S) CD versions?? - typical late 80's/early 90's "McMaster" sound?? Average?? Better than average?? Worse than Average??

What's the likelyhood of either one being released as a Conn anytime soon?? (Kevin - you talk to Michael periodically, what are his thoughts on the Leo Parker albums, and either of them potentially being (re)released on CD in the next couple years?)

I only ask cuz I've got a line on one (Let Me Tell You 'Bout It) on CD, for about $22.50 - and I've not been too tempted, but have given it a second thought, a time or two.

Edited by Rooster_Ties